1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's Preacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2014.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I didn't like Tulips intro but thought the episode captured the characters well. Really hope they don't do half a season in the town.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I did the same thing. I too am pretty lukewarm on it. I think the characters are well cast, but I'm not sold on the changes they've made to the story so far. I was entertained, though. And it definitely has potential.

3. conquistador#11

I didn't know that was Howard Stark. Freaking mustache can change your entire appearance, like clark kent and his glasses.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I wanted to like it but found it a little unfocused, jumping all over the place. Felt like it could have given a little more context.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree with this. I have never even heard of preacher before this and I was struggling trying to figure out what was going on. Although I did like it, it just lacked focus a bit. AMC's shows have had trouble getting to the point lately.

6. 713

713 Member

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

"Filled with immense power, including The Word of God, which makes anyone do whatever he says, Jesse goes hunting for the Lord Almighty, who has abandoned creation. He aims to make him pay for leaving his children behind. Joining Jesse on his journey is his ex-girlfriend Tulip, who is now a hit woman, and a hundred year old Irish vampire named Cassidy. Along the way they battle secret religious commandoes, the r****ded descendent of Christ, a guy who ****s meat and even each other."

I found reading this before watching it for the first time really heledp me have an idea wtf was going on. They were showing the power of the Word of God in the opening and other exploding scenes, Tom Cruise!

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

yeah i hit up wiki just to get a quick plot overview before watching helped. also saw in preview seth rogen is on the talking preacher next week. think he was saying something like we really wanted to get a lot out there and leave it wide open on purpose.

might have been why it jumped around quite a bit there.

will continue to watch

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I felt like this way too but I'm still interested. I heard it gets better.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I know you nerds want me to read the comics but chill out for a second. I loved the pilot. It's actually a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pilot was good. Had a Tarantino/Guy Ritchie vibe.

Tons of fun Easter Eggs for Geek Fanboys like me.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Go on....;)

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was meh. Hopefully it picks up after the pilot.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The pilot wasn't anything special. I'll cross this one off my list for now.

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I enjoyed the pilot. Got me listening to Time of the Preacher by Willie Nelson all day.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm even more confused now because there was barely a mention of god as a real being. Sounds like the plot to Supernatural, LOL. Anyway, it's a very violent show, I guess I'm looking for a reason why, lol.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Almost everywhere I'm reading agrees that Dominic Cooper is absolutely miscast as Jesse. I hope he proves me wrong but he looks like he could be in One Direction and nothing in his performance indicates he's had a rough and tumble criminal past. I always envisoned Jesse as an older-mid age type, dischelved and scruffier with a wisdom of experience. Cooper is just playing him as too cool for school and it's annoying.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

don't know any of the back story but I enjoyed it.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Anyone know the source material really well? Is God a tangible being in Preacher, or is Jesse just trying to find God, philosophically?

Also, why did "Genesis" not blow up Jesse, but blew up the African minister guy, at the intro?

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

John Wayne.