1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock Draft - for Round 2

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NewRoxFan, May 16, 2016.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I doubt if Morey will be able to get us a solid combo guard in the 2nd rd. With that said if I'm him I look for intangible players in the 2nd round mean either they can score, or defend, be a playmaker, have heart, husle, etc.. Or you look for diamonds in the rough.

If i'm the Rockets I look at this dude real close in the second round 6'6 PG 6' 10 wingspan 4YR SR broke hand so didn't get a lot of pub, good under the radar pick.
    There are weakness in his game but has potential to be a NBA playmaker and at 6'6 that could be a matchup problem for some teams in the west.. Plus Cali breeds some good players at the PG position.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-3KrAs8CLAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#21 ballplayer, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Also would like to see another option like a Caris LeVert as well. I think he and Wallace are the type of guards that could potentially play well with Harden as 2rd picks. I prefer Wallace because he seems better defensively.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ErVNcJfSpnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#22 ballplayer, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

mig0s = racist

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

I like Mike Gbinije and Rasheed Sulaimon as fits next to Harden. Both are above average ball handlers, can defend at a high level and shoot the deep ball well.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

It would require him to fall but Wade Baldwin looks to me to be a guy that could be a perfect pair next to Harden. I'd see what it would take to move up to get him if he made it passed 20. I'm also a fan of brogdon too. Those two would provide length and you to our back court and wing positions.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Go big or go home: Thon Maker and Zhou Qi

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This guy would be great.

40% from 3. Great length and ability to create for others.
    Would have been a lotto pick 2 years ago if he came out, but stayed and got injured 2 years in a row.
    Question marks over his leg - will he ever be the same? The way Paul George recovered from that horrendous injury makes me think its worth splashing a 2nd rounder on this guy is he is there!

I'd probably take Thon Maker with the other pick. Assign him to the DLeague for a few months to work on his strength.

8. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

AJ Hammons at 37

GP2 at 43

...this is what NBADraft.net has for us

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Calling any draft weak is a copout. It's just an excuse for people who have trouble drafting.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So you're saying there's never a time where one draft class has better prospects than another?

11. rockets13champs

My 2nd round big board

Thon Maker
    Tyler Ulis
    Chris Lavert
    Ben Bentil
    Gary Payton II
    Petr Cornelie
    Ante Zizic
    Guerschon yabusele
    Zhou Qi
    Anthony Barber
    Daniel Hamilton
    Micheal Gbinje

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, some drafts have better prospects but every draft has its star and they are not always picked early.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So what you're saying is some draft classes are weak relative to others?

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Would you call this draft weak?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I haven't really studied it (and I won't) so I wouldn't know.

But generally when people say a draft class is "weak" they mean relative to the average draft, or recent drafts, or other specific drafts. Having already admitted that some drafts are weaker than others, you have confirmed that describing a draft class as weak is not necessarily a cop-out. That's all I was getting at.

Essentially, saying that saying a draft class being weak is a cop-out is a cop-out. :cool:

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Guys I'd target with our #37 and #43 picks, that might be there:

Patrick McCaw | SG/SF | 6'6" 181 (6'10" WS) | UNLV | Soph. | 20
    - McCaw could go late-1st, but is mostly under the radar for now. He's a ball-hawk on D, a solid ball-handler/creator on O, and can hit the three at a decent clip. He's a versatile 2-way wing that you can never have too many of.
    DeAndre Bembry | SG/SF | 6'5" 207 (6'9" WS) | St. Joes | Jr. | 21
    - Bembry also fits the versatile wing profile. He's a gifted passer and a high-IQ 2-way player who fills the stat-sheet. Neither him or McCaw are excellent shooters though. His stock is apparently rising and I think he'll be gone by our pick.
    Caris LeVert | SG/SF | 6'7" 191 (6'10" WS) | Michigan | Jr. | 21
    - Another versatile wing. LeVert was definitely in-line to be a 1st rounder before his injury. I haven't looked into the severity of it, but if he checks out, we should definitely grab him. He can also create and defend, but can shoot at a better rate from 3.
    Isaia Cordinier | SG | 6'5" 185 (? WS) | France | Intl. | 19
    - The first high-upside guy here. He's a freak-athlete who glides down the floor in a LaVine-esque manner. He's developing some range as well. Still very raw and somewhat unknown. Not sure if he stays in the draft, or where he'll go.
    Cheick Diallo | PF/C | 6'9" 219 (7'5" WS) | Kansas | Fr. | 19
    - Diallo was a highly-touted HSer who rode the bench last year. He has great length and defensive upside, and might remind some of Biyombo, physically. I could see a team grabbing him in the 1st, but he could also slip if they're wary of his rawness.
    Chinanu Onuaku | C | 6'10" 245 (7'3" WS) | Louisville | Soph. | 19
    - Onuaku is the less-raw, safer, lower-upside version of Diallo. He's a strong defender and semi-capable on O.
    Georgios Papagiannis | C | 7'1" 275 (? WS) | Greece | Intl. | 18
    - Not sure why he isn't being mocked higher. He's huge, with quite a bit of growth upside on both ends. He's not afraid to mix it up, either. I'd grab him immediately if he fell to #37. Might withdraw though.
    Malcolm Brogdon | SG/SF | 6'5" 223 (6'11" WS) | Virginia | Sr. | 23
    - Safe DTA prospect who'll likely be a very solid role player, but nothing more.
    Isaiah Whitehead | SG/PG | 6'4" 210 (6'9" WS) | Seton Hall | Soph. | 21
    - A chucking streaky shooting combo-guard? Why? Well, Whitehead reminds me of Waiters, and we've seen what Waiters can do when restrained (this playoffs). He's dynamic and can create, and has the physical tools to defend both guards spots (if he wants to).

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My point was there is no such thing as a weak draft because there is strength in every one. But because I understand, you're right.

18. Fantasma Negro

AJ Hammons at 37
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l-JYUrwFFNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glove II at 43
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2e385Yu8Q6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Wish Melo Trimble hadn't pulled out of draft think he would fit in nicely within the system as combo guard. He was projected to be available mid second round where our second pick is

20. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Anyone scouting the Globetrotters? The Rockets are a circus act now.