1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're Not Just One Player Away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drake Remoray, May 23, 2016.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Love the Rockets and will complain all the way to our next championship. But Horford with Capela would definitely be an upgrade to our front line.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good post OP

Don't let the delusional Maur fan boys stop you from saying the truth. They have been drinking the Murray Kool Aid for a long time and Moronic can do no wrong to them

Morray is a very mediocre GM

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't think anyone is 'hating' on Kris Dunn. He most likely will be a good player.

Pick a draft. Almost any year. And google the top 10 results. Almost any year (except for a couple of outliers like 2009 and 2003 and 1984) the results of players drafted in the top 10 vary wildly. Even in 2009 and 2003 and 1984 (which a lot of people consider some of the best drafts ever) there were lottery picks taken on guys like Darko and Hasheem Thabeet and Jonny Flynn and Michael Sweetney and Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin.

So you gotta ask yourself- is Kris Dunn going to be the next Steph Curry or Jonny Flynn? The next Darko Milicic or Hakeem Olajuwon? The next Lebron James or the next Jarvis Hayes? You say he's going to be a beast that we can build around, but how sure are you? Even the experts are wrong on draft predictions....a lot.

It's not that the draft isn't important. It's just that it's a crapshoot. Maybe Dunn will be awesome. Maybe he will be a bust. Even if he turns out to have a superstar NBA career, most rookies take time to develop, a lot of times not until their rookie contract is over. At that point, even if he was awesome, he could bolt and leave Houston.

There are just so many unknowns with the draft and draft picks. While I agree that we aren't "one player away" from being contender, I also don't think we are so terribly far away that we need to absolutely blow everything up and start all the way over again- a process that usually takes years and years. The reasons that I think we would trade Harden for a collection of draft picks would be 1) if his contract was running out and we had a pretty strong indication he was leaving. At that point, it would better to get anything than nothing. Or 2)- and maybe this is the point that a lot of rockets fans are at- we decided that the team is so far behind GSW and Cleveland and OKC and the Spurs that we couldn't catch up and would rather go through a years long rebuild with young players. By the way, if Les' previous history proves anything, good luck with that one.

I know this past year was terrible. But it was only one year removed from Harden being the second best player in the league, the Rockets being the second (or maybe third) best team in the league, and from going to the Western Conference Finals. I know last year sucked, but that doesn't sound like a team that needs to be completely blown up. Not yet. And not for an unknown commodity like Kris Dunn.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

ROFL, this is great :)

1 person likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member