1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mid-20s Rant (Quarter-life Crisis?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KDJ3, May 17, 2016.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'll try to enjoy it while I can!

Ah yes I know of them.

I could see that. Every time I have traveled out of the country, I have missed home after about a week and a half.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Do what makes you happy OP. Life is too short to not stay somewhere where you are unhappy. You are young so the world is wide open with you. I'm not always happy at my job, but it let's me make good money so I can travel to awesome places. Sometimes it's just a trade off. I personally can live with it since I don't hate my job, I'm just not always into it.

1 person likes this.
  3. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I've always had the tendency to just up and chase after the next thing in my life. So whether that is a trait that I have to accept about myself or something to rein in, it's something that my fiance understands about me. Although it can be frustrating at times, I know that she is being logical and trying to support me while keeping a level head about these types of situations. It's part of the reason why I love her! I also understand that she has a passion for what she does with a career in nursing and want to support her in that. Since I last posted we have talked about a future with her travel nursing while I do remote IT work. So there are always plenty of options, for which I am extremely thankful.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Volunteer on the weekends and either save up enough money to found a camp like Bamberger Ranch, move up high enough in some non-profit mentoring organization to help run one of their retreats or something. I think full-time camp counselors are probably a little less idealistic and are just willing to deal with kids for a few hours between partying or whatever.

5. Nook

Nook Member

First World White People Problems...

Your girlfriend is grounding you because she doesn't really want you to do it.

6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

That's certainly possible, although I don't believe so. If, however, that does end up being the case, it will just be something that she and I will have to work through.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What jobs at Disney interest you? Have you tried snagajobdotcom? When I was in college I applied for the chuckecheese rat position.

8. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I hadn't tried that one before, just gone directly through Disney Careers. I did have an interview several years ago, but at the time it just would have been too much of a pay cut while I still had debt. I'm not sure what I would do there which is why no action will be taken on that front for the time being.

9. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Update:

It appears my decision may be being made for me! The current project I'm working on ends next week and up until last night I had been under the impression that I was 100% going to another project (but in this industry I was never fooled into believing that). As it so happens, I have been informed that I will find out today if that is actually the case, and if not I will be let go. If this happens, they will rehire me "if/when another project comes up", but until then I would be on my own. So that's actually pretty awesome considering I've been thinking and praying about this situation for a while, and I'm truly excited either way.

#49 KDJ3, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Book this $789 round-trip flight to Bangkok and get lost in SE Asia for a while.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sometimes it is not your situation but you who dictate how you are going to feel. Like TL said, even if you change everything around you might still feel that sense of wanderlust and unfulfillment. It's a very common feeling among young men. I'm 31 and unattached, and even though I find myself envying the men around me in committed relationships, I'm sure they also spend a lot of time envying me.

In one situation, you have a defined role in society, a trajectory and a legacy in the form of children to come. But you are also a known quantity, a substance whose potential has been traded in for something solid, unchanging. In the other situation, you are experiencing as much as you can stand to experience at your age. For me that's traveling to any place I have friends, i.e. Berlin Copenhagen NYC Chicago San Fran Seattle San Diego Hong Kong Taiwan in recent times. At the same time you can focus 100% on your profession when you need to, where your coworkers have to go home to even more work and unintentional sleepless nights if they have young kids to look after.

If it's not your job, then you can also look after yourself: cook, eat right, exercise, pray, just keep yourself in order. Like most young people you may find yourself overextended by the obligations you have unknowingly thrust upon yourself, through relationships or family commitments or what have you. These aren't bad things, but as you mature you will find yourself better able to manage these commitments and to prioritize the ones that are truly necessary while shedding the ones that are simply wearing you out.

Finally, as you have just stated, it's also easy to overlook the benefits of a steady paycheck. You can't always guarantee that, especially if you're a white collar worker in the Houston energy sector.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Millennial problems!!! If work was fun, then they wouldn't call it work. As long as your job doesn't make you miserable and provides enough time and resources for you to do the things you like to do, then stick with it. Not everyone can make money playing basketball or drawing stuff.

1 person likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

One of my clients has the hook up with some Cambodians. $1,000 round flight, $15 hotels, and cheap "services".

Is this what you meant by bible study?

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not big on referencing bible quotes to find the answers or to make myself feel good or bad about a life decision, but I feel this one is appropriate in this case since OP appears to be Christian...

1 Timothy 5:8
    "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Keep this in mind when planning your future. Money isn't everything but you can't ignore it either and you might have to sacrifice to take care of your family. Work hard now, spend and invest wisely, and perhaps you can retire early and really do whatever you want. But for now if it were me, I would still focus on earning a good living and trying to work your way toward a career that is or can become a vocation. If you can't earn a decent living doing it, it's probably just a hobby or side gig.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    Read this book: The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Transform your life into everything you had hoped by understanding the psychological tendencies of your own brain. You are the only person holding yourself back from wild success, much like I have enjoyed.

GOOD DAY

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

If you're a good looking man and is good at convincing people of lies, you can try acting. Move to LA for a year or two and give it a shot. Wait tables or be a substitute teacher while you try out for every possible movie under the sun. If it doesn't work out, go back to Houston for your boring engineering job.