1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns owner takes mic mid-game, apologizes to Phoenix fans for Spurs keeping players home

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-phoenix-fans-for-spurs-keeping-players-home/

It’s the preseason.

With that it’s pretty much caveat emptor. The best players play limited minutes if they play at all. In the case of the Spurs, having just gotten back from their NBA preseason tour of Turkey and Germany, Gregg Popovich decided to give pretty much everybody the night off Thursday. Meaning Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Manu Ginobili, Tiago Splitter, Patty Mills and even Popovich didn’t even make the trip to Phoenix for a preseason contest.

Which didn’t sit well with Suns owner Robert Sarver, apparently. In the middle of the game he came down courtside, borrowed the microphone from the PA announcer, and apologized to everyone at the arena for the game.

“Hey everybody, I want to thank you for coming out tonight. This is not the game you paid your hard-earned money to watch. I apologize for it. And I want you to send me your tickets if you came tonight, with a return envelope, and I’ve got a gift for you on behalf of the Suns for showing up tonight.”

It’s a nice gesture… but he knows it’s preseason, right?

The people who showed up did get to see a Suns win, 121-90 over the shorthanded Spurs. Goran Dragic led the way with 20 points and 6 assists. And the three-guard lineup of Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas went on a 9-0 run.

Video link below -

http://www.nba.com/video/games/suns/2014/10/16/0011400062-sas-phx-play4.nba/

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well Popovich is a known problem when it comes to holding guys out for away games. If he did it for home games most of the damage would be borne by the Spurs. But he does it to other teams' fans which isn't too cool. It's just preaseason, but making a fuss about it is like put a written warning in Popovich's official record. With the precedents he already has, if Pop pulls it again in the regular season the league will come down on him again.

3. FeaR

FeaR Member

Parker, Duncan and Manu played a lot of minutes against Alba(Germany) and Fener(Turkey). Don't forget that when Rockets played vs Orlando last year after their pre-season international tour they were under the weather. There is no need to push your players for a preseason game.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

you didn't get it, he's talking to his fans people who paid their money expecting to see at least half those players play 15mins each. I think their needs to be a rule for this kind of stuff. You can pay a lot of money travel to see a team and they don't play, just because. Its a game but at the same time its a business or they would be letting people in for free.

I respect what he did.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not mad at the Spurs but I think that what the owner did was cool. Good for him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not surprised that Pop did that, although even in the context of his past history in this regard, it was a bit extreme. As for what the Suns owner did? In my opinion, it was an excellent PR move. Got some press, and those who attended will get something (what? free hotdogs next game?), with goodwill generated. No biggie.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly.

8. SupeR2706

SupeR2706 Member

That's pretty cool of him, there's no doubt. I'm wondering what the hell is has in mind for them???

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

More hate to spurs = less for rockets?

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait to see the Rockets beat the crap out of the Spurs mascot Friday night...due to the fact that it will be the only thing suited up for the game. :p

11. FeaR

FeaR Member

I understand the Owner of Suns but it's just pre-season. We did the same against Pelicans and Suns.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. It's preseason. If you expect to see certain guys play, that's a you problem.

Memphis sat out their starting 5 in OKC this week and nobody cared. But since it's the Spurs, Sarver saw an opportunity for some good PR. I have no respect for what he did.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting PR move by Sarver but it's only preseason.

Ever since Nash and D'Antoni began "7 seconds or less", it seems like Pop has held out players in Phoenix more than anywhere else. It almost seemed like a regular, deliberate act of disrespect.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Damn, didn't know Pop didn't even go. I understand it's preseason but that's kinda a low shot to not even show up.

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Really is a catch 22, Pop keeps winning and winning with old talent so its hard to argue with him. On the other hand, without fans Pop has no job so he could show some gratitude. He could at least have the players show up so people can see them court side. Getting on a plane is not that exhausting and they get well paid to do it.

San Antonio fans appreciate Pop's behavior and I find it amusing. Nice to see people with the personality of sandpaper.

1 person likes this.
  16. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did he apologize for all the players that Suns fans didn't get to see because of his cheapness?

18. scottie brooks

Didn't click on link. Did it mention what he was going to send them in the envelope?

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sarver is trying to generate good PR, albeit from a meaningless preseason game.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think the fact that Pop does it on away games - rather than home games - is the biggest point!

Class move by the Suns owner...