1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thread for undecided moderates...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

Most of this forum is filled with partisans on both sides... but for the true undecideds out there, what did you think of the Dem Convention, and now the Sarah Palin pick? And as the campaign continues next week, let us know what you think of the GOP Convention.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Thanks for this thread. I thought the convention was great. Looking forward to the RNC...especially with the Palin as the VP candidate. It will be exciting to watch.

I'm heavily leaning toward Obama at the moment, primarily because my parents are pissing me off. It's sad that some people's ignorance will turn me off to a whole party, but that's how it seems right now. I'm trying to keep an open, clear mind and really get to know the issues well.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice thread idea, Major. I don't fit the description, but I'll certainly look in and visit! :cool:

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Cosigned. Although I think most of the undecided moderates tend to stay out of our poo-flinging contests.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is a pity.

6. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

You should hear my grandparents when they talk about Obama. It is very sad, actually.

7. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Thought the DNC was ok. Wasn't really overwhelmed but I doubt I will be by the RNC either. I'm pretty familiar with Biden but don't know anything about Palin at all. At this point I'm leaning the direction I think has more upside, but I'll wait and see how policies start to break down before deciding.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There are plenty of people who would not vote for him just because he is black but they won't admit it in public of course.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I grew up in a strong Religious Right household. Over time I've become pretty socially liberal, however I still believe strongly in being fiscally conservative (as I mentioned in the VP thread). I'm still undecided about which direction I'll go in October, but I like the Palin nomination at first glance. I'm tired of the same old types of people in Washington, and I think she can offer something vastly different.

finalsbound, it looks like we come from the same type of background. Don't vote for Obama just because it's the opposite of what your parents want. Take time to look at both candidates and decide which one best fits what YOU believe.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Which is exactly the reason I tend to stay out of this forum.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As a former Hilary supporter, and self described centrist, I'm still on the fence on who I'm voting for. My thought the democrats did a very good job at the convention and Obama and the Clintons had great speeches. My hot button issues are as follows in no particular order.

Civil rights
    Economy
    Deficit
    Free trade
    foreign policy
    separation of church and state

I think the republicans are on the wrong side of civil rights and foreign policy and for the last 28 years have been on the wrong side of the deficit. For me to vote for Obama, I need to feel that he will tackle the deficit like Clinton did and and not do anything that will further harm the economy. For me to vote for McCain, he needs to show the same things and regain some backbone against the religious right.

12. finalsbound

Oh yeah, my parents believe all the bull**** about Obama being a Muslim extremist, my mom a few months ago even confided in me that she thought he might be the anti-Christ.

It's pretty flabbergasting. And you know what? Sometimes I feel like just saying "Yes, Democrats are evil. They hate God. Bush was an amazing president" - just so I don't have to get into a mind-numbing argument with them that makes me feel like smacking my head against a wall.

The thing that gets me the most is how they think there's no way possible that a true, Bible-believin' Christian could be a Democrat or a liberal. God has anointed John McCain's head with the oil of approval.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've already long tipped my hand about who I'm voting for but have my problems with both tickets. DNC was generally good, I still think Bill Clinton's speech was the best of the major speeches. I'm like that McCain is taking a gamble on Palin over playing it safe and am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

As for the RNC its going to be interesting and I look forward to checking out some of pageantry, partying and protesting first hand.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good way of looking at it. For me my main concerns these days are:
    Foreign / Military policy - I'm very concerned about McCain's hawkishness although it didn't make me feel much better hearing Biden and Obama get hawkish about Russia.

Civil liberties - I am very concerned about the direction this country is headed and am one of those crazies who believe that there isn't much point to protecting out country if the freedom and liberties we value are sold out.

Separation of Powers - Very concerned about the concentration of power in the Executive branch. Although I wonder if a Democractic president will be willing to part with those powers either.

Economy - I think is a toss up between the two and I'm not fully sold on either plan. I'm closer to McCain's stance though on free trade and worry about Obama's positions.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know how to define myself politically, and frankly would run from virtually any label someone would throw on me.

I'm voting Obama.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Almost identical to my views.

DD

17. finalsbound

What are the major issues for you, MadMax? If you wouldn't mind me asking.

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I'll register as an undecided moderate, leaning to Obama. I'll wait to see the quality of discourse before participating substantively. All of you regulars wanting more constructive debate and discussion in this forum, here is your chance, don't blow it. :)

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no disrespect but . .you mom made me laugh
    that is just too funny to me

Rocket River
    . . .and all this time I thought I or Saddam were the Anti-Christ

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

in no particular order:

talking all ROXRAN's guns

taxing the hell out of Jorge

making legal the occupation of Arkansas by Texan forces

forcing DaDa to sing really bad Christian "rock" at all public school events

(kidding, of course...in no particular order...energy policy...global poverty...reversing bankruptcy code changes...reversing unilateralism...and other ideas that aren't immediately popping in my head at this point)