1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Lotto Prediction

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by smoothie, May 20, 2008.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm a conspiracy theorist when it comes to the lotto. i believe it's rigged to suit what's best for the league.

i don't believe that this is the case EVERY season, but on occasion the league (i believe) steps in to set things the way they would like it.

i believed that last year would be one of those rigged lotto's and i told most people i know who i think will get the top 3 picks (in no order) and i was right.

again, i believe this year to be a rigged lotto for many reasons with which i won't bore you. i'll just get to the predictions:

3 lotto winners will be (in NO oder)

The Grizzlies - will the nba reward them after that gasol trade? well the owner wants to cut costs so he can sell the team, if i were the nba i'd want him to sell it asap. give them a top pick, maybe even a hometown guy. plus, why not thank them for restoring the showtime lakers? that was great for the nba.

The Knicks - at the allstar break David Stern said the Knicks will be better next year... Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni later, i believe him. a top pick would give fans someone to rout for on the court along with on the bench and in the front office. it's the triple crown!

The T'Wolves - sort of a thank you for Kg to boston, as well as not tanking. they sucked but they played hard. also -- sort of a default pick. the clippers, bucks, and so on don't stand a believable chance of winning a top 3 spot and the two teams in front of them will be moved back.

The Losers:

The Sonics - they were given a gift last year in order to try and keep them in the 7TH LARGEST MARKET in the country. since then they've pissed off a whole city and now that they've back tracked a bit, have begun to piss off OKC too. this has been a black eye on the league this year.

The Heat - tankers never win the lotto, even at the nba's expense.

there you have it. lets see if it comes true. please add your own predictions and we'll see who's right at the end of the night!

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

If they're going to rig it, NY and Miami need the top picks to help balance out the conference power disparity.

3. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I agree. It was ridiculous to see the top two picks get stolen by the blazers and sonics. Granted tankers never win, it would've been nice to see oden and durant go to boston/any other JV league team in the east.

West is way too damn top heavy. I hope all three picks go to the east. Screw memphis.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I hope the worst teams don't win as usual. It's the only thing I can think of to stop the tanking. Teams should at least lose that impression even though it's true that more losses technically helps you.

It'll probably be the ones listed in order but it'll actually be the Knicks or Clippers.

We had what, a 6% chance to land Yao/Jay Williams?

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'll say...

New York (Rose)
    Seattle (Beasley)
    Minnesota (Mayo)

6. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Don't tell that to the SPURS!!!!!!!!!! Thats the basis of their dynasty....resting David Robinson while healthy!

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I hope the Grizz drop to #4 or #5. The Grizz are not worthy of a top 3 pick.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

That's so true. Duncan should have been a Celtic. But not even the greatest PF ever could've kept Rick Pitino in the NBA.

The Rockets have had their lucky time in the 83-84 drafts. That should have set them up for a good title window. Of course, it eventually did. Pour some out for Sampson.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

portland wins it all!

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lesson learned.

i don't think it's happened since.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

didnt cleveland tank to get lebron? not that they had great talent anyway the season prior but they really didnt care the latter half of the season

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

If by some insane luck that Portland robs the #1 pick, I think I will stop watching NBA. 0.5% doesn't sound bad to me.

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

IMO, it will be Indiana, Memphis, and New York with the top 3 picks(in no order)

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i would be upset if portland or golden state get a top 3 pick last thing we need is to have a on the cusp of the playoff team in the west getting stronger for cheap. heck it would be crazy if they both landed in the top 3.

imo its going to be in order:
    wolves
    kings
    sonics

yeah i dont want sac but for some reason i see all the top picks staying in the west :(

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you were all way off.....bwahahahahahaha!

16. LoveRoxHateJazz

Yet the winners (Chicago, Miami, Minny) do fit the description of the OP. Teams that are struggling and it would be best for the league if they won the lottory.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

sorry, had to respond....teams that are struggling....you understand why its the lottery, right?

What about when Milwaukee won? Houston? Portland? None of those really fit the description.

So assuming Milwaukee couldn't win again, cause that'd be conspiracy, too, and assuming, conspiracy or not, having a team from the west NOT win is a good thing for the Rockets, you could claim conspiracy if any of the following east teams won (New York, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana - the Pacers are a "storied" type franchise with Reggie and Bird and those good years in the late 90's).

That leaves Miami, who could win because they were so bad (though still....giving Wade another great player...conspiracy!!), and Charlotte (but wait, doesn't MJ own part of the Bobcats?...conspiracy!!).

I'm not saying there aren't conspiracies, but the outcries should be about the ever expanding referee gambling case...or about how refereeing in the NBA sucks anyway, how much flopping there is, etc.