1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks/Bulls agree - Crawford rejects!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mogrod, Aug 3, 2004.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Bulls-Knicks deal close,
    but Crawford Rejects

BY K.C. JOHNSON

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - (KRT) - General managers Isiah Thomas and John Paxson have agreed in principle to a six-player trade that would send Bulls Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski, league sources said.

There's one small problem: Crawford's camp has rejected the trade - for now.

The streamlined version of the trade talks, which have lasted for five weeks and featured countless combinations, calls for Crawford to sign a seven-year, $55 million deal.

In previously discussed scenarios, Crawford stood to make that amount in six years and possibly $70 million in seven years. The new figures have given Crawford's camp pause, sources said.

Since Crawford is a restricted free agent and the Bulls own his rights, Paxson has never budged from his stance that major financial relief was the only path to a deal.

That Thomas has agreed in principle to send four expiring contacts to the Bulls is consistent with Paxson's philosophy. It also will save the Bulls $15 million in cash and $18 million in salary-cap space over the next four seasons.

Crawford would be a base-year compensation player under the structure of the proposed deal, which is complicating matters. A league source said Thomas rejected a proposal to sign an unwanted free agent and include him in the deal as salary-cap ballast so that Crawford's salary could go higher.

There is still guarded optimism on all sides that a deal will get done. The only concern is that Thomas will be put off by Crawford's camp rejecting a nearly done deal.

If the trade collapses, it's almost certain Crawford will play next season for the Bulls at a qualifying offer of $3.5 million and then become an unrestricted free agent.

The Bulls' pitch to re-sign Crawford for six years at $39 million is no longer an option.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9312536.htm?1c

2. Just B

Just B Member

Hmm....i guarantee you people won't get as mad about his refusal as they did about Francis' unwillingness to go to Orlando at first.

At least Francis' was about loyalty. Crawford just wants money.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

4. user

user Member

Duh, it's not like the Bulls will get a T-Mac back. It's like that the Rockets treated Francis for some expiring contract.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Crawford isn't under contract, Francis was. Two entirely different situations. People don't get as mad when single guys sleep with women they aren't married to as they do when married guys do it.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

What does that have anything to do with this? Francis was under contract, Crawford is not.

7. dean

dean Member

jamal crawford wont be a goodfit in NYC. its a logjam at the guard postiion.

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Not to mention that he isn't the type of backcourt mate that Stephon Marbury would mesh with.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

You are assuming that he could mesh with any other basketball player, at any position.

10. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Good point. :)

I see Allan Houston as the type of off-guard that Marbury could mesh with though.

11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I really wish he'd get it together, so much. I fear, at this point, that it'll never happen.

I see the same thing happening in Crawford, and it breaks my heart. Brilliant talent, enough smarts, but no recognition or interest in combing the two.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Oh I am very mad at Crawford for two reasons;

1. He is overrated and he is definitely not worth all this money and attention.

2. If he foolishly causes this deal to fail and end "only" playing for $3.5M next season (in hope of landing the big one next summer), I will not pity or have compassion for him if he suffer a serious or career altering injury.......heck he may not get as much money as he is been offered now. I understand the business angle he is trying to argue but I hope common sense prevails. I hope he understand that he is not that good - he is just blessed to be at the right place at the right time (summer of bloated contracts and overpayment). Mind you, KH is the start PG of the Bulls and Jamal will play second fiddle - he may not have the same opportunity to shine....thereby risking devaluing his now over bloated and overhyped value.

:rolleyes: :mad:

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think Isiah Thomas has managed to wreck the Knicks for a long time. Marbury and Crawford together is a disaster waiting to happen.

14. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Marbury sounds mature a lot now. People do change.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Crawford won't get $56 mil next summer if he let this chance slip away. I think his camp is a bit foolish here.

16. Milos

Milos Member

I never understood what Zeke is thinking here...

His only success last year was bringing in the hometown star to run the show, and now, a year later, he's ready to dump him...

For what?

Crawford?

The epitomy of the selfish, immature basketball?

What is he thinking?

If this falls through, Thomas should thank Jamal for saving him from himself.

17. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

It didn't fall through. I posted this article last week and, the next day, Crawford agreed to the contract and the deal was finalized.