1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Table tennis champ fined $45k for excessive celebration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Oct 28, 2014.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The celebration:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8RN82Tz8EkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The finals match in case anyone is interested:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/768y9SfmA8Y?list=PLIl_mJ3zK7B9kX1xjo5yZxP5ARqzPTG9v" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A little back story - these 2 are kind of like Lebron/KD. They are considered the top 2 in a league of their own. This is easily the biggest matchup everyone looks forward to, but unfortunately they rarely face each other. Not to mention I don't remember if they've played each other in this big of an event.

Just curious to see what outsiders of TT think of the whole 'controversy' which has made headlines. The winner was fined the entire prize money for first place, $45k.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The fine is unwarranted. So, he busted a flimsy piece of cardboard and threw a shirt into the audience? Big whoop! $45k? Here is $5 for your stupid piece of cardboard.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The two guys fighting for his shirt at the end. LOL.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If there are rules in the tournament that state that such outbursts(which i think are totally benign) are against tournament rules, then the fine is justified. If the fine was a last minute punishment and not part of the rules/guidelines for the tournament, then this fine is idiotic.

Was at a WSOP(poker tournament) where a player, with a good size chip stack, had a crazy outburst after being warned before not to do it...the TD kicked him out(he became the bubble) and he was not eligible for the winnings. And as per rules of the tournament, such violations were subject to disqualifications.

I'm sure that the committee will reconsider his earnings considering he won this

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree with the fine. He violated the sanctity of this great traditioned sport. Little children in China may mimic this violent outburst, so hopefully this fine will show them that actions have consequences.

6. conquistador#11

he thinks he is an athlete lmao!
    forrest played for ALABAMAAA! and was king of table tennis.

but seriously that's the cost of like 19 technical fouls in the nba.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yeah as far as I know this is unprecedented territory. No distinct fine amounts for infractions in the rule book.

8. Apps

Apps Member

Being fined the entire prize money for first place is definitely harsh. It's not like Zhang is the number one ranked player in the world. I would have fined him half of his winnings and allowed that to be a warning for all other players.

As for his celebration, it definitely seemed disrespectful towards the tournament to kick those barriers on the side and break them. It seemed as though he went out of his way to do it and almost like it was something he planned, so a fine seems pretty logical to me in light of that.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Marketing Genius. I now know who he is.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The cardboard had sponsors on it, so the immediate cost and long term risk of not setting a punitive precedent certainly justifies the $45,000 fine.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Relax bro, its table tennis. This is like me running around and high fiving my neighbors at night if I win an ebay auction. No one cares.

To get the point across, the crowd should have thrown the jersey, he threw at them, back to him.

#11 Zboy, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

As a (pretty good) ping pong player myself, I am greatly offended by such a celebration.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Are you the Chandler Parsons of table tennis?

14. dback816

dback816 Member

I don't think your manager would be very happy if you showed up to McDonalds late the next day due to excessive highfiving at night.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm the Jerry Lin of table tennis. I was born a legend.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We need to get Darul Moreray to take this guy down a notch.

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I was in Thailand playing ping pong in Ding Dang once.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: That's funny.

Do you even ping pong, bro? :confused:

I take it you don't play.

19. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I celebrated more than that when I spiked it in my young nephew's face last weekend. Let the man keep his money.

20. Isabel

Isabel Member