1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason trade targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 18, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Buster Olney wrote an insider article on why the Reds should trade Johnny Cueto.

The article did not suggest interested teams, but I hope the Astros will be buyers this offseason. With the depth in our system, I'm curious to see what Luhnow will reel in this offseaon. We finally have the depth to bring in a real game-changing player, and we finally have the depth to sustain such a trade.

I personally think adding Cueto would be huge. Cueto is 28 years old and had a phenomenal year. 2.33 ERA/ .98 WHIP/ 228 K/ 18-9...10M a year.

I'm really hoping for an offseason trade that brought the same excitement as the Beltran-Royals trade.

Thoughts on potential targets? Cueto seems reasonable and doable.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

my bad; please move to astros forum

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Max Scherzer

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Astros need a LF that can hit 20+ HRs, around .300 average, and over 75 rbi. Someone like JD Martinez. SMH

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

50 million per year might get you SP Max Scherzer (or Jon Lester) and 3B/SS Hanley Ramirez.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I am not sure the Astros are at a point where they really know what they need yet.

If they target anyone, I don't think that it will be a starting pitcher at this point. They already have 3 spots in the rotation accounted for with Appel and other starters in the minors that are getting close.

If they target anyone I think it would be an outfielder. They would let Fowler walk and then upgrade for an all star level player.

I am not saying it will happen, but I could seriously see the Astros not sign someone next year, be a .500% level team and then drop a huge amount of money/prospects for someone like Giancarlo Stanton as a message they want to compete.

My understanding from people working for the Astros is that Nolan Ryan has been around MMP almost on a daily basis and is often with the owner and GM. Nolan Ryan has not been a big fan of signing pitchers to long term deals.

7. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I follow you, but the Astros wouldn't be able to outbid the Dodgers, Yanks, Red Sox and Angels for Stanton.

8. Txst

Txst Member

Carlos Gonzalez would be my target

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

LF
    3b
    Closer
    Middle relief
    1 more SP

10. astros123

astros123 Member

get a freakin LF for gods sakes

11. Buck Turgidson

Fower/Marisnick/Springer is not a bad OF at all.

3B and maybe catcher (defensively at least) has to be more productive.

If Singleton flames out again, you'll need another option at 1B.

12. Buck Turgidson

But yeah, if they can get someone to plug in LF and bat 3-5th, you do that no questions asked.

I don't want to see Fowler in CF next year. I like him and all, just not in CF.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Marisnick is ok as a bench player but as a starter no thanks. Need some pop in the outfield besides springer.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure the Astros will want to go out and spend money/trade for a 3B.

Colin Moran will likely start next season at AAA in Fresno, with Rio Ruiz moving up to AA in Corpus Christi and J.D. Davis going to A+ in Lancaster.

If Moran bats at AAA like he did in Corpus, he could be a call-up candidate pretty early in the year (maybe around the time Springer got his call-up).

With a top prospect that close to the majors, plus with the pipeline chock full of talent at that position, I just don't see the Astros spending money there.

15. Buck Turgidson

If you can get some from 1st and 3rd then you can have his bat in CF (I do not like Fowler in CF, plus he'll be hurt 1/3 of the year anyway), especially in the near future when you get unusually high production from SS. Plus, this is Marisnick's first real stint in the bigs, and he's young, not sure why you assume he won't improve.

But like I said, if they can get a true masher in LF, bring him on pronto.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

All I'm saying is spend some cash and put a major league bat or two in the lineup. We've been a joke for 6 years now. Enough is enough.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Sure they can, the Astros have virtually no payroll. Further, there is no reason the Astros cannot surpass any trade package offered for him.

I am not saying Stanton is coming to Houston, but they have inquired about him in the past, he hates the Marlins and is a big enough player to jump start the fans.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. The Astros have third base prospects relatively close. Moran could be the Astros starting third baseman this time next year.

The Astros are not going to target a long term closer either, as they have a number of arms and when it shakes out there is a good chance one of them is a stud closer.

Only position I can really see them spending long term money on is the outfield, and even then Springer is set, Fowler is good and Marisnick has been solid.

My guess is they make a major move during season in a trade or a signing after next season when they see who sinks and who swims.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Fowler is good??????

.269 8HR 35RBI

That is the definition of mediocrity.. Quite sad that people's standards have dropped so far so as to call a scrub like Fowler good.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Fowler's no All-Star, but he's certainly not a scrub.

His .367 OBP is good for 23rd in all of MLB this season.

He's a terrific lead-off or #2 hitter in a good lineup.