1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik for 14th pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would have to see who's there at 14th, before I trade the pick. Because IMO Asik is a tad bit overrated, his effective in short stints, but no one knows if he can be effective in a much larger role.

I would prefer to keep the pick if Motiejunas, Biyombo, Valanciunas or even Vucevic are available.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

LOL! I think we can find a better scrub at #14.

4. herro

herro Member

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Motiejunas and Biyombo looked terrible in the workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JdLMTqgao
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqJGJwAU0M&feature=related

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're kinda on the beam. The first thing we're trying to do is move up. If we can't do that, then if Biyombo is available at #14, we should take him. I'm not sold on Valanciunas. If the Rox brass is sold on him and they think they can get him over here this year and he is available at 14, then I suppose they take him. The other two fellas, Montiejunas and Vucevic, one of them will be available later, and I'm not so sure we need either one of them if we made the trade for Asik.

7. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

14 for Asik. Yes

14 + Lee for Asik. No

Altouth I do wanna draft klay Thompson I doubt he will be there at 23 :mad:

8. Garner

Garner Member

Chard Ford was saying Klay Thompson could go as high as 6th.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'd do 14th for Asik plus 28th, assuming Morey actually has someone worthy of 1st round money there. Or if he can get a good euro-stash there.

Look, Asik may not seem as sexy as someone like Biyombo, but what about potential career path? I don't see Biyombo looking like a much more sure thing at this point. It's the we-all-like-shiny-new-thing reasoning like this that caused Patterson to drop so far in the draft as teams wanted more raw players. And the same case could be applied here.

Now, as stated above, I'm not including Lee with the 14th pick in any trade that just involves Asik as the headliner.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Asik for 23rd pick. They get to move up 5 spots.

11. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Biyombo = a slightly taller Dorsey

12. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes x 10. This would be a no-brainer in my opinion. The highest I would go is Lee + 14 for Asik and 28 or 30.

13. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

If we could get Asik, 28, and 30 all for just the 14 pick, I'd do that in a heart beat. We get Asik, then with the 23, 28, 30, 38 picks we get a PG, SF, and two projects/overseas players (Morris, Bertans, Selby, Jackson, Mirotic, etc.)

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Haha those workouts were in a terrible setting specially for Biyombo. As far as Motiejunas, he had a another workout..

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5Tblw5WggQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think either of them will be available at 23. I think Motiejunas and Vucevic will be flat out better players then Asik. Their both skilled 7ft's and bring different things to the table then what Asik does.

To me Asik is overrated, and I think regardless of the order of the first 13 picks, there will be someone better at the 14th pick then Asik.

So to answer the OP, no I would not do it ... Asik ≠ 14th pick..

Okay, buddy :rolleyes:

15. Yoda

Yoda Member

Asik is a nice bench player. So i guess were shooting for a backup for our 6-4 center again. Kill me please.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Since when did a sheik get so popular? You might as well ask yourself, "is he worth Patterson?" because that's who Morey got at 14 last year. This draft is supposed to be just as deep in the middle range as last year so I don't see why we can't expect another player of pattersons ilk to firmly implant himself in our rotation for the next 8-10 years after this Thursdays draft. Is a sheik that good. If Morey says so, but until then I call BS.

17. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

This strikes me as almost farcically false.

1 person likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's one the best defensive centers in the league even as a rookie. It was very noticeable the impact he had on the defensive end during the playoffs, before he got injured.

The only reason I'd hesitate in giving up the 14th pick for Asik is his injury situation.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok. So, let's assume we get either Donatas or Vucevic at #14. Now, how are you going to build around them? Where you gonna get the D? Do you think one of those guys can become the defensive anchor in the paint?

I view Vucevic as more of an Okur type player. He reminds me of Okur with the way he moves and his skillset. He's an interesting player. Don't know if he is what we need defensively at the 5 though.

Donatas has a better handle than Vucevic. He's got more ability to take his man one on one. But I see even less defensive potential in him than in Vucevic.

By the way, if either of those guys were available at 23 and we were able to nab either Derrick Williams or Marcus Morris earlier in the draft, then I'd draft either one of them there at 23, starting with Vucevic because I think he's got the ability to play more D than Donatas.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Remember when we almost traded CLee for him? So glad that didn't go down.

I guess I'd be down to give up 14. This draft doesn't seem too promising.