1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz Extend Alec Burks $42M/4 Years

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Oct 31, 2014.

1. yobod

yobod Member

The Utah Jazz have agreed to a contract extension with guard Alec Burks worth $42 million over four years, sources told ESPN.com.

The deal, signed on deadline day for players from the 2011 draft class to get extensions, includes incentives that could make it worth $45 million. Burks averaged 14.5 points last season and is averaging 16.5 points over the Jazz's first two games this season.

It represents another investment in the Jazz's young core. The combined extensions for Burks, Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors are worth more than $140 million.

The team recently tabled contract talks with forward Enes Kanter.

The deal was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11796613/alec-burks-agrees-4-year-42-million-extension-utah-jazz

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Seems like a terrible deal for the Jazz, but I know very little about the guy because I don't watch Jazz games.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

When you have Hayward and Burks for 80 million, your future isn't bright.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So let me get this straight, over the next 4 years the Jazz are gonna spend 40 million dollars yearly on the "core" of Hayward, Favors and Alec Burks. And they are looking to sign Kanter to a big deal as well?

Don't get me wrong, these are solid guys, but as a group of building blocks they are garbage. The Jazz are committing themselves to being terrible.

I know it's hard to get free agents, but this is just stupid.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I guess they're getting desperate to sell their fan base on SOMETHING. A core of Burks, Hayward, Favors, and possibly Kanter though is the definition of mediocre. I have a feeling one or more of those guys will probably become trade-bait within 2 years when it's clear the team cannot win with that as their foundation.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Of all the money they've spent, Burks seem to be the best deal.

Utah has the problem of being in a small market in a league where EVERYONE has cap space. They can't attract free agents by being who they are, so they have to develop talent in-house through draft. And they will have to give big contracts to their in-house talents, or they will lose them.

The thing is, none of these guys are superstars whom you can build your team around. They are bunch of good role-players.

If Dante Exum turns out to be a bust, or even just a good player, they are in big trouble.

7. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

He shows flashes of all star potential just not consistent enough for me to warrant this type of deal.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I actually like Burks. Could be this year's Demar Derozan. The problem is Gordon Hayward's contract more than anything else. You can't win championships when you're signing guys just because the fans can identify with him. With that clown haircut and increased muscle mass, Hayward has gone full Harpring this year. Whatever, let them suffer.

1 person likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hahaha yes, I was thinking the same thing...nice to see the Jazz mess it all up.

So glad we have Daryl Morey as our GM!

1 person likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm glad the Jazz are committing to mediocrity. Over an extended period it's worse than being terrible. Even at their best, that core will never make the playoffs. May they have the 12th pick in the draft for all eternity.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why did they let Sloan go? He can make these scrubs play hard and probably beat us in the first round.

1 person likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Love burks after watching him in college. He has a much higher ceiling than Hayward, potential all star

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

That Ariza 4/32 is looking better and better every day

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pathetic franchise

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Not much else they can do.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They can suck, trying to just stay competitive in the NBA is the worst thing you can do.

Gather assets, get high picks, keep salary space for teams looking to offload contracts. The 76ers have the perfect model right now. Build a great core and then a good FA or 2 might even consider Utah.

But what they are doing now is simply not smart.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They don't want to take any chances lol. They are going to give Gobert $50 mil next year.

18. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That core already made the playoffs. Beat out mcfail and Dragic a few years ago.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Make sense to try and get contracts done now before the new TV deal kicks in. 4years/42million equates to 10.5 a year, which will look like 7-8million/year in the new CBA.

Still, they must be really big on Burks because 7-8million is pretty pricey.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Indeed, but letting Goran Dragic go for 4/30 looks worse and worse every day as well.

1 person likes this.