1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should sign Dermarr Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dani, Jun 13, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dani

Dani Member

He's free and a grat and young player. We could sign him for the $4.5 millions.
    We can sign Kerr or Claxton too(SPurs will sign Kidd).

2. SLA

SLA Member

Wasn't he the guy who was in a car accident???? Not sure...but before...he was tall and fast. 6-9...skinny...like Nbudu Ebi...but more on the perimeter. He's not bad. But I don't think he's worth 4.5 million. There are better players that we could get.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

DerMarr Johnson was a high draft pick and had loads of potential. However, he cracked his neck and is lucky to be walking again let alone playing. His injury probably will end his NBA career. I hope not but signing him would be chancy.

4. Dani

Dani Member

Yes he had a car accident with his girlfriend. She saved his life and he started to train on April. He haven't got contract.

5. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I agree. I watched a game this year where they did a halftime special about him. They talked about all his potential that was lost in the accident. He will never be the same person or player. His injuries are not the ones you can fix quickly or easily. He will have to work his ass off just to step foot on an NBA court again.
    It was a very sad story, kind of reminded me of Bobby Hurley.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He was a dissapointment before the injury. He's another example, like Griffin of young players not understanding what it takes to be successful in the pro's. He's probably going ot have to prove himself to get a good contract. 4.5 is way,too much.

7. Dani

Dani Member

If he don't find team, maybe he don't ask for the exception. Is better than nothing. He could go to the training camps and if he can plays sign him a low contract. Well, less than $4.5 millions.
    I have read in a magazine he is surprisingly healthy. It was saw him dunking.
    (It's translated correctly???)

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I'd sure give him a shot in training camp to beat out Hawkins for his minimum contract--no offense to Juaquin of course.

9. thumbs

Absolutely. The Rocks would have nothing to lose and everything to gain if the injury is really healed. However, if that is the case, I doubt Atlanta would just let him go. I wouldn't want Les to commit precious salary cap bucks (big ones, that is) on once-upon-a-time talent.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

don't know about his injury or health, but his D was getting pretty good before he was injured and he is L O N G......

11. We're Back

We're Back Member

Pretty cold to say that he doesn't understand about what it takes to make it in the league after coming back from an inury like that...

12. Dani

Dani Member

So, wouldn't you sign him?
    I believe in him. Sure, he wants demostrate all his potential.
    He can be healthy. REmember him in Cincinatti. He's a 6-9 SF. He have a lot of talent, He can jump shot, ball handling, quickness...
    And we can rescue this player gratis!!
    Maybe not, but you have nothing to lose.

That's what NbaDraft.net says about him:

Strengths: Very good athlete, can shoot with super range. DerMarr Johnson has abilities almost never found in a 6-9 player. His offensive potential is limitless. DerMarr has one of the silkiest touches from outside, combine that with great handles and super athleticism and you have a special talent. DerMarr can play the 1,2, or 3 positions and is a very good passer.

Weaknesses: Consistency. Underdeveloped body. Needs to get much stronger physically to withstand an NBA seaon. Streaky. Can go through cold spells. Still has alot to learn about the game.

NBA Comparison: Scottie Pippen

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He'll make it on someones team because like Larry Hughes all these other young players, the potential is great, but realistically, some of those guys just do get it. Hughes,Thomas,White,Johnson,Griffin are all examples of guys coming out after 1 season and not really being good or just avg. Rodney White and Griffin were in this mythical top player the yr they came out and now look at them. On the reverse side, a guy like Ricky Davis has improved and Maggette also, so those guys can get better. The thing about a young player is his work ethic. No matter how talented the guy is, if he's not a hard worker, it doesn't matter.

14. thumbs

DerMarr Johnson would be a great pickup for the Rockets -- had he not broken his neck. No one is criticizing his pre-injury potential or work ethic. However, the question is whether he can play again to the levels he might have achieved without the injury.