1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gasol Take 2? Yes, Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 14, 2012.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Lock if already posted.

I seem to be running into a bunch of these Gasol articles.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/02/pau-gasol-trade-take-2-yes-please/

Side note: I found this white reading this GEM of an article (as bad as it could be analyzed it was): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ysis-rockets-knicks-and-kings-plan-for-future

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Lin before "Gasol is a b****".

1 person likes this.
  3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I am all for acquiring gasol especially if it only requires scola and martin. For those of you that are against this trade your knowledge of basketball and the NBA isn't up to snuff.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess with the emergence of Lin.... I'd rather have him now.... than this Spaniard

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rockets are 16-12. Lakers are 16-12. They are virtually equal in conference standings. Personally, i think we would beat them in a seven games series. I just don't see the need.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

nope... its salary cap suicide... pau is on the decline... yes so is scola...martin is close to being an expiring and we can still amnesty scola... we would be stuck with pau... and after one two years his contract would be Twice as bad as hedo's who is almost a deal breaker for most trying to get dwight... this is a business first... and aquiring pau is a bad business decision... yes he is better than scola... but not worth his contract better...there is better options out there....

1 person likes this.
  7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Interesting read from Jerome. Thoughts on whether this is pure speculation on his part, or if someone has been dropping hints to him?

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I've never been a Gasol fan, but he is an upgrade over scola, though I would REALLY hate to lose Gragic.

I would probably give up Martin, scola and Dragic
    For
    Gasol, Darius Morris, 1st rounder

The best part of that trade would be moving Bud to the 2 and bring our future star Marcus Morris up.

Lowry
    Lee
    Morris
    Pau
    Dal

OR

Lowry
    Lee
    Morris
    Pat
    Gasol

Would be a great starting 5 IMO

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So Solomon is flip-flopping now?

10. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

truth.
    look at the past nba champions. they usually have good frontlines.

nowitzki/chandler
    garnett/perkins
    bynum/gasol
    duncan/ umm forgot, but yea duncan

and im also not a big fan of martin. yea i said it.

and yea gasol is getting paid a lot but hey morey knows how to fill out a good roster without a lot of money. just look at bud, lowry, parsons's contracts. look at all of the unsigned FAs usually he brings in at a cheap cost: ish smith, lin, temple, j. taylor, adrien. but a deep roster kind of restricts him in this department since you can only have 15 guys (im looking at you flynn).

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Bringing Morris up would be big after a trade to get Gasol. We would be sooo much better on defense.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gasol is nowhere near Prime Garnetts and Nowitzki's level........ stop it....in Shaqtus' words.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do think we would give up less for Caveman than Gasol... and he brings better offensive output than Gasol, slightly worse rebounder and shotblocker, but plays tough most of the time, also a borderline allstar 2 years ago in his own rights......

14. jocar

jocar Member

He's soft, old, on the decline, does not want to play for Houston, is contributing less and less for the Lakers. Nene, DH or DWill aren't coming, just to play with him. Plus the Lakers would ask for Lowry or Dragic + Scola/Martin. If he was 10 yrs younger and could pull 30/15 a game, maybe. As is, hell no.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i agree... cavemen comes cheaper and is an expiring... him and dally with scola and ppat is better option IMO because its four post players to be moved around in differnet scenarios... compared to pau and dally and ppat which is only 3 man rotaion(injury would f#ck us)... caveman imo is just as servicable as pau... and Younger!... people forget that and tend to think he is ... because well, he LOOKS old... really old... but hes not... only 29... younger than 31(pau)... plus his contract ends(better flexibility than with pau)...

16. mclawson

mclawson Member

Gasol is good when he wants to be and when pushed by Kobe (when he doesn't crumble and fade into the background that is) but he hasn't looked good this year at all. He's already stated that he doesn't want to come to Houston so his performance would likely even been worse here than in LA. I just don't see it. Maybe 5 years ago, but not with the current roster and payroll. It really limits flexibility down the road even in a weakish market. I just don't think he's worth it at this point, unless they want Flynn, Thabeet, and TWill in return.

Also, how does a erm... professional? journalist like Solomon not understand subject-verb agreement? "So does his close family members." Really?

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, no **** he doesn't want to come to Houston. But if we're only going to get players who would rather play for the Rockets than the Lakers, only the most prestigious team in the league, we're going to have a pretty damn small roster.

And how will it hurt flexibility? Everyone freaks out about his money, but we'll be paying more for Martin and Scola for the next two years as opposed to just Gasol anyways. Sure, he has a third year, but big deal. Scola will be making 10 million that year anyways.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I love this trade... part ways w/ Scola as he comes down the other side of the hill, send poster beta male K-Mart and his "non-basketball" moves out of town, and bring in the most skilled big in the game.

Then, retain Lee and sign Eric Gordon in the offseason.

Next, draft Meyers Leonard and a backup PG, possibly Tony Wroten.

Lowry/Wroten
    Gordon/Lee
    Budinger/Morris
    Gasol/Patterson
    Dalembert/Leonard

1 person likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't advocate for a Gasol deal here but to say the guy hasn't looked good is not true. Kobe, Bynum and him are keeping the Fakers afloat. Guys like Barnes and McRoberts are the next best guys and they are average to below average fodder.
    He is 2 years removed from being a star in this league but he is still playing borderline allstar level.... better than Martin and Scola right now.....
    Well does he earn his big time contract? .Hell No!.... he would have to average 20 and 10 - 12 to do that... He is not doing that but is close.... 16.7 and 10.5 rbs

He is doing alright....just not enough to make it a big SPLASH as advertised.

20. Burko

Burko Member

The Lakers will want Lowry, any deal for Gasol will involve Lowry going the other way, please remember this.