1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rihanna: "Embarrassed," "Strong" and Admitting "Love Is So Blind"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. da1

da1 Member

Rihanna: "Embarrassed," "Strong" and Admitting "Love Is So Blind"
    Today 6:55 AM PST by Breanne L. Heldman

Only after she had a revelation about her duty to her fans did Rihanna realize that she had to speak out about how she was a victim of ex-boyfriend Chris Brown's domestic abuse.

And now? Now she's almost ashamed of herself for having gotten into a relationship with him in the first place.

"I fell in love with this person," she tells Diane Sawyer in an interview that aired on Good Morning America Thursday. "That's embarrassing."

The singer, 21, also hinted that it may have taken "eight or nine attempts" before she could finally leave the relationship.

"It's pretty easy to go back," she says, affirming Sawyer's statement that the average woman makes seven attempts to leave an abusive partner. "You start lying to yourself. The physical wounds go away. You want this thing to go away. This is a memory you don't want to ever have again."

Now a reconciliation is all but impossible – a judge has ordered Brown, 20, not to contact Rihanna (real name: Robin Fenty) for five years as part of his sentence.

Rihanna says she was further humiliated by the public nature of the incident, which included a leaked photo of her battered face.

"I was like, here goes my little bit of privacy," she says.

But she had an epiphany about how her actions after the assault would affect thousands of impressionable girls.

"When I realized that my selfish decision for love could result in some young girl getting killed, I could not be easy with that part," she says. "I couldn't be responsible for that. Even if Chris never hit me again, who's to say their boyfriend won't? Who's to say they won't kill these girls? I didn't realize how much of an impact I had on these girls' lives until that happened."

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Sad that it happened to her but at least she was one of the lucky ones who got away.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

remarkably mature and responsible approach by rihanna, who's just 21. much older women struggle to get away from the cyclical nature of domestic violence.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Chris Brown isn't even old enough to drink? Why am I reading about children?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"What's Love Got To Do With It"? :confused:

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

haven't there been fairly strong rumors, including statements from her family members, that she was also physically abusive towards him?

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They're only 21 and 20 respectively??? Holy crap! Rihanna looks way older than 21 to me.....wow. That's nuts for 2 people that young to go through that. Good for her for speaking out about this. Even if her break-up is a result of the court order, at least some good came out of this.