1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] Ads on NBA jerseys?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JunkyardDwg, Apr 29, 2012.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Don't know how I feel about this. For one, we're already inundated with advertising as it is; it's everywhere and on everything. Plus the comparisons to golf, racing and soccer (US) I don't think are completely fair. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was small and on the shorts or the jersey strap. But to replace the team/city name, please no.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/opinion/greene-nba-jerseys/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think it's only a matter of time until we have some form of advertising on NBA jerseys. There's simply too much money to be made.

This also isn't MLB where old-school baseball men scream "Tradition!" every time you try to make a change like this. Remember when MLB announced they were putting Spiderman movie promos on the bases? The reaction to that announcement would make you think they had announced pitchers would now throw underhanded.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

It'll be like when they changed to that weird basketball and everybody was complaining...I dvr shows so i dont have to watch commercials, im not gonna watch a game of commercials, im already iffy on the nba nowadays.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I remember when corporate naming took over arenas. Similar outcry, in the end, who cares. Let them pursue a revenue stream that takes pressure off ticket prices.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Agreed.

If you are going to stop watching basketball because of an ad on a jersey then how are you really a fan of it? People will moan about it for a while and then they just won't care.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The players complained about the new ball, I doubt they'll complain about ads on their jerseys that won't affect how they'll play.

7. HombreDeHierro

yeah too bad it wont

8. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i know it will happen, but it's not a good thing for me, the jerseys are the identity of the club, and to have ads on it will strongly alter'em ... and dont count on me to buy a jersey with an ad on it

9. HombreDeHierro

NBA basketball popularity isn't on the level of european futbol... people will still buy those jerseys

you're right and i think they will lose jersey sales because of it

10. AFS

AFS Member

Man, it's gonna make the jerseys look uglyyyyyy

11. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Isnt there already an ad on jerseys?

Nike symbol.

12. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

adidas

13. rawool

rawool Member

People will cry about it the first year until find something else to cry about.

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If this were the NBA jerseys, this would look horrendous!

I like soccer jerseys, especially premier league ones. They have a Nike symbol and 1 additional advertiser, very clean.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I personally wouldn't mind having, let's say, a Toyota logo on the stripes on the Rocket's jersey, or behind the neck. Not too large to be obnoxious. I think it'd be blasphemous if they replaced the team name with the brand name, or put it really large under the number.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It will likely be like in football(soccer) where you only have one ad on the jersey and that's it.

Imagine that NYK jersey with just the Sony ad, doesn't look bad or off at all. I'M all for that, helps everyone involved.

17. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Sources: NBA owners expected to pass rule allowing ads on jerseys

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:15052783&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

NBA owners are scheduled to vote this week on putting ads on jerseys for the 2017-18 season, multiple sources told ESPN.

The measure is expected to pass, according to sources. Several teams have begun testing the market to sell the potentially lucrative ads, which would be placed in a 2.5-by-2.5-inch patch on the left shoulder.

A proposal was presented to the owners in February during a meeting at the All-Star Game in Toronto with the expectation that a decision would be reached at this week's board of governors meeting, held in New York on Thursday and Friday.

The initial proposal to owners was for teams to keep 50 percent of the sponsorship money from the jersey ads and for 50 percent to be added to the revenue-sharing pool for all teams.

The league has been moving to this point for at least five years, and it has been a project that commissioner Adam Silver has spearheaded. The NBA recently signed new national television and apparel deals where the ads were part of the negotiations. In 2017, Nike will take over from Adidas as the league's uniform provider when the ads are expected to debut.

"It's manifest destiny," Silver told ESPN's Rachel Nichols in an interview last month. "So let's begin by saying this isn't going to affect the competition. What we're talking about is a patch on the jersey. And one of the reasons we want to do it is that it creates an additional investment in those companies in the league ... the amplification we get from those sponsors, those marketing partners of the league, who want to attach to our teams and our players.

"But once they put their name on the jerseys, they'll then use their media to promote the NBA extensively. That's probably the greatest reason for us to do it."

Rest of story:

The owners also are expected to be updated on the situation surrounding the 2017 All-Star Game scheduled for Charlotte. Silver issued a statement last month criticizing the passage of a new North Carolina law that wiped out an anti-discrimination ordinance in Charlotte. He said the league did "not yet know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte."

Following that thin-veiled warning, there has been no official update or possible timeline put forth from the league. The league recently announced the 2018 All-Star Game would be played in Los Angeles.

Also expected to be addressed at the meeting is the state of bargaining talks with the National Basketball Players Association. The league and the union have been quietly in negotiations for months as the sides look to work out a new collective bargaining agreement before December, when both parties have an opt-out clause to end the current CBA in 2017.

There has been some progress in the talks, and recently the sides agreed to shorten this summer's free agent July moratorium period by five days. With the expected passage of the jersey ads measure, those CBA negotiations are expected to take over as the centerpiece of NBA business going forward.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Clutch will use any of his millions of dollars he generated off LOF clicks to make Clutchfans the sponsor of the Rockets.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

One logo? Come on, at least three if not five, make them pretty. :grin:

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Can''t wait to see the patches from.

Gallery Furniture,
    Landrys Restaurants
    Shell,
    Centerpoint Energy
    Methodist Hospital
    HEB