1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Raptors @ Rockets 2/28/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cod

cod Member

Scola haters jump on the smallest things when given the opportunity. He was poorly in his last sub in but wasn't the defensive hole he was made out to be. Had Amir well guarded a few times but when a player has a left handed hook shot bounce in the guy it's a bit of lucky and feeling it.

2. RayStats34

RayStats34 Member

Oh ok thanks...I'm just happy we won....winning ugly is better than losing pretty..mchale always talks about winning these types of games...

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Which is kind of funny if you think about it, because that's the JVG philosophy.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Could not agree more. I like the Mchale hiring to begin with because of this reason. Anytime you have a coach that played in the best years of the NBA and has a mindset of play hard or ride the pine, will be successful if the team buys into it.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

LOL at DD.

6. nadman89

nadman89 Member

21-14 god every win just feels great !! as ugly as it was it was one of those games last year we wouldve lost but this year kyle is stepping up and kmart making some gd plays

7. valorita

valorita Member

- The raptors' commentators were in love with Lowry's game, and rightfully so.

- I wonder why McHale goes with Scola at the end. We really needed Dalembert's shot blocking and rebounding in end game situations.

- Parsons proves time and time again that he is the next Battier with his uncanny ability to be in the right place/time for big winning plays.

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

We also have Parsons who brings the extra clutch factor in the 4th quarter. Last year, it was all Lowry, all day.

9. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you wife just give birth during a Rockets game?

11. Entropy

Entropy Member

Except I see Mchale not inclined to contemplate slitting his wrist at each and every defensive break-down, and more inclined to temper his criticisms with genuine compliments of what a player did right.

2 people like this.
  12. cod

cod Member

I wanted Dally subbing in for Patterson for his shotblocking but my guess is the offense had gotten cold and the Raps were starting to hit their shots. So he was looking for more offense?

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

No-one came into this year as a "Scola hater". Everyone admires his iron man work ethic and hustle and his crafty play. The problem is he's just been making too many mistakes. It's not for lack of trying, but whether it's because he's showing his age, cramped season, league has figured him out, or some combination of the three, he is turning the ball over a lot more, rebounding a lot less, and playing worse defense than he ever has in his time here.

It has gotten really frustrating and predictable to watch him try to post up and get the ball stripped, and watch any PF with the slightest modicum of athleticism blow by him for an easy bucket.

I think he can still be a useful player, maybe even a starter, on a team with a really good center to cover up for his weaknesses. He works good as a garbage man, hustle guy, and open-jumper-shooter. The problem is that he's turning into a liability on this team which already has a glaring deficiency at the 5.

1 person likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. JVG has his heart in the right place, but to me he lacked connectivity with the players, which is IMHO he always opted with bringing the Knicks players back just 'cause they know his style.

Mchale doesn't have as good an X and O, but those stuff can be learned in time. What I like about him is he seems to be just as invested in winning games as his players, and I think that's something players appreciate. Last year you always had players saying "I don't know what we're supposed to do" during interviews, now even if the offense has become so ugly you don't read players making these kinds of comments...except for T-will lol.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale: That was an ugly one but found a way to do it. Fantastic game by Kyle overall. We were not sharp offensively. Need to be much much better. We had breakdowns on D when we couldn't have them. We need to tighten those up. We didnt have flow on either side of the ball. A very difficult game to get a flow for us but we found a way to win. ... We laxed a little bit. ... We couldnt get a hold and a hoop and a hold a hoop to get something going. A very disjointed(or was it difficult? Ha) game.

#475 J.R., Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. Mashing

Mashing Member

4 back of SA in the loss column, wonder if we can catch them?

18. ThaShark316_28

19. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Rockets win (ugly) Mavs lose to a junk team..

happy days all round

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This Rockets team is different. We've had plenty of teams in recent years that lost the ugly ones, or even worse lost ones where the other team played ugly and we did a lot of the right things but still lost.

This season it seems like half of our wins have come in the ugly style. I'll take all the wins we can get. I'm happy for every single win. Maybe it's a good sign that our team is getting the ugly wins for a change.