1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Duncan joining Yao as a wussy in the eyes of Rockets fans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fa7999, May 14, 2004.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Just curious to know whether Duncan's performance against the Lakers in the last 3 games have officially put him in the wussy, 'need to grow a pairs' group that features Yao according to some dear Rockets fans on this board.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

duncan has already won his team a ring. been there...done that. he's among the elite group of players who put a team on his shoulders and got it done. i'm not a spurs fan...and i'm not much of a duncan fan...but he's already proven he can do it.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering that Duncan had 21 points, hit an incredible clutch shot, and had more boards last night (21) than Yao got in games 3, 4, and 5 against the Lakers combined...........

No.

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Considering Duncan let Shaq score 115 points in the first 5 games in the series (even if he is just one of those guard Shaq), grabbing a whopping 1 rebound in the whole second half of game 4, shooting 38% from the floor and averaging 5 TO in last 3 most important games, being a MVP....YES.

YES.

He did won rings for the Spurs but that belongs to the past. Or you can say that he is a wussy now and a stud last year. How about that? ;)

Or to make a further: Spurs should not build around a has-been, a wussy in the making. They should trade Duncan for SF3 to build around a rising stud.

That will make me very very happy.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

There is no question that his performance in last 3 games are sub-par. Spurs look to him almost on every play and he couldn't put up big numbers. That last shot was a lucky shot, as he admitted. Dead Fish making the other shot doesn't change anything about his being nothing but a flopper.

the point is that performances of big men tend to decrease a bit when playing Fakers. Yao is not at TD's level yet, but it was unfair to judge him on his first playoff performance, especially when it was against Fakers.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I want TD and Yao on my team, a team of all MEN.

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

My problem is that Yao and the Rockets made Shaq look like a wussy and Yao did not get credit for that. And when Yao put up similar numbers that TD put up in the recent games, Yao got all the harsh criticism and TD got all the excuses.

BTW, I want Yao and Duncan on my team and let the Spurs have that trigger happy guard tandem. That will make me a happy Rockets forever.;)

8. SamFisher

In 5 games vs. LA, Yao averaged 15 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block on 45% shooting with 2.6 turnovers

In 5 games vs. LA Duncan is averaging 21 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 2. blocks on 49% shooting with 5 turnovers.

This is after shooting almost 60% and averaging 24-10 against Memphis.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty happy when Yao starts putting up 20-20 games on an off night.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Obviously, it's ridiculous to say that Duncan's performance is just as bad as Yao's. But if you take into account the expectations, I'd say there's a similarity. One player is in his 2nd season in his first playoffs series. The other has won two rings and is by far the #1 option on his team. If I were a Spurs fan, I'd be MUCH MORE pissed at Duncan's performance than I would Yao's as a Rockets fan.

10. SamFisher

Another thing to consider:

Karl Malone:

VS. G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
    VS. HOUSTON 5 -- 38.8 7.4-15.0 .493 0.0-0.0 .000 3.2-5.4 .593 1.80 0.00 2.2 3.2 1.8 8.6 10.4 3.2 18.0
    VS. SAN ANTONIO 5 -- 41.4 4.2-9.2 .457 0.0-0.0 .000 2.0-3.0 .667 0.60 0.20 2.8 2.8 1.2 7.8 9.0 3.8 10.4

Now TD isn't getting the job done on D?

#10 SamFisher, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strangely . . .. Parker ain't doing so hot either

Now . . I guess having a 'wussy' in the paint DOES effect the PG play

Rocket River
    YAO WAS NO WUSS . . .not on Defense anyway

12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I have to admit, the big MVP players like garnett and duncan haven't been taking the game into their own hands and dominating when the teams need them to.

Partly has to do with defensive schemes and mobility -> you see quick guards with open space on the outside taking the game over.

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Instead of saying "Sam, please play 'as time goes time'", I would like to see you also detail the stats for Shaq daddy versus Houston and Spurs, and claim that Cato and Mo got the job done on D.

Case closed.

BTW, based on expectations & reputations, Chris Webber and KG are officially joining Yao, Shaq and Duncan to form a Fab 5 of wussy club.;)

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I wouldn't call 16 and 11 playing like a 'wuss', especially when your team didn't have to break a sweat. If they had lost, or if the series were even close, that'd be another thing.

15. sun12

sun12 Member

In the zone era, big men are less effective.

It's well-known in NCAA tournament, guards' play are more important because big men can be neutralized somewhat by the zone defense.

Now since the NBA switched to zone defense, you will see big men can not post the same numbers as before the zone.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

TD is not a wuss. He has proven himself already, winning rings. He is a franchise player.

17. Phizz3l

Phizz3l Contributing Member

TD has won rings by being a Center playing as a PF.... and having decent center david robinson along your side, you better dominate at pf... People talk about how Karl Malone is the best pf of all time and TD closing in... I think KG is the True best PF ever or soon to be at least, since he can do anything and everything at pf...

buttom line: TD = good center pretending to be a PF... until he mans up and play centers, he's a wuss to me....

for awhile pippen looked like a freaking god at small forward, until mj disappeared...

18. Phizz3l

Phizz3l Contributing Member

dont get me wrong, i'd like to have TD on my team... but he's not playing like a man..

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

he's too passive. he'll go down as one of the best players ever with those 2 rings, but he's too damn passive like KG. they defer too much. they need ...as much as i hate to say it...that greedy mentality that Kobe has. 'i need to take over so y'all give me the ball or i'll just keep the ball' kind of stuff. TD and KG can take over games but they shrink under the spotlight.

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

It is about making shots.

Duncan did pretty much he can do. Of course he could do better and we expect he do better.

But we should keep that in mind, with the zone defense, they double team Duncan a lot, with Shaq and Malone, to take pressure from him, the perimeter has to make shots. It is all about inside out and making outside shots.