1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

again you or anyone else would really have no idea if that were true or not unless he actually comes here

2. TheJet

TheJet Member

And he's not playing well this year either. So we have statistical evidence that:

1) He's missed a lot of time.
    2) He's never been a good shooter.
    3) He doesn't get to the rim as much.
    4) He's a good assist man.
    5) His defense has regressed the past two years.

Many years ago he was indeed an important piece of a great team. That doesn't mean he'd be 2008-2012 Rondo on THIS team NOW. There's no guarantee of that. Hence, if the price is more than a steal I think most folks here would vote no.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and I think he could still be a big piece of a great team.....just not one constructed like the Rockets are. He needs a team where he can pretty much always run the offense, Dallas is close to a perfect landing spot for him.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think its still too early to tell as he's had some monster rondo like games thus far so it shows he's still more than capable of playing at a high level. my point from the beginning was that he wouldn't be as bad a fit as people think. i think his potential role on this team would outweigh his weaknesses as a player. if were obviously giving up way too much to get him i would definitely say no.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This reminds me a lot of those who were talking up Josh Smith a few years ago trying to convince everyone that he was a good player. Obviously Rondo is better than Smith, but it's the same vibe.

6. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Yes to Rondo

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Well it looks like he has played in only around 60% of the games going back the last 5 seasons. With diminishing returns every season. That lowers his value significantly in my eyes. Maybe Ainge will take a 2017 - 2018 second round pick for us to take him off their hands and maybe Rondo will sign for the vet minimum after the season???? That is ALL I would offer for him based on his history and his current year stats where he is shooting worse than ever and less than 40% form the foul line???? They would be lucky to get a second rounder for him in my opinion.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's all you would offer him but no doubt hell command plenty of interest and money if he gets the market.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What time exactly is this "deadline" anyway?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Exactly .... and considering he makes $12.9m and we would have to give up important pieces to make the salary match , you cant get him for "a steal".

It simply costs the Rockets too much to make the numbers match.
    If you would fit in the TPE .... and you send away a draft pick (Not NO Pick) then sure .... but I'm not giving up two rotation pieces to roll the dice on a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy , cant shoot the three , takes the ball out of Hardens hands , doesn't fit with PatBev either and is shooting 36% from the "charity stripe."

Let Dallas give up the farm for him ....

11. Raven

Raven Member

Good points.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Right now.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

so.. goran makes 7.5m

can we get him for the TPE?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You can absorb his salary with the TPE .... But will most definitely have to send PHX a premium asset too.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i thought the TPE could not be combined with players?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It cant ... but they could add a pick to sweeten the pot.

There is also the "simultaneous trade" avenue available. That means there are two trades but that one is dependent on the other being accepted and approved .... the second trade could have players attached.

Example:

Dragic for the NO pick into the TPE

with the following being conditional on the former being approved:

PHX protected 2nd rounder to Houston for Troy Daniels.

Hope that helps .... it is just an example.

17. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah but dat pick doe.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I like it.. MURRAY GIT R DONE