1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

McGee works hard, but he is not an intelligent player. He also has a history of a lot of injuries. Dorsey isn't a high IQ player either, but he can do a better job at rebounding and give us some defense in short minutes.

If McGee can't get minutes, then he is useless.

Team chemistry is also a very big factor here. I don't see McGee playing like the current Hassan Whiteside.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

can we drop dorsey lol

3. hakeemthagreat

I just can't understand the logic behind sticking with Dorsey. You have to be insane. No metric stat should convince you we're safe with Dorsey going into the playoffs. The teams we will need to go through are just bigger & longer than us, and it showed each time we played them (ex: DeAndre Jordan 20 & 20) . We got killed last year with Robin Lopez, and that was w/ Asik. Going into the playoffs with Dorsey backing up a not 100% Dwight smells 1st round exit. Again, this is where analytics fail. Yes he's a good rebounder, but the eye test tells you hes extremely undersized & sucks at finishing at the rim. He's a HUGE liability for us. If I'm Morey I look at this and fix it before we lose games because we were forced to play Dorsey over having a legit big. Portland, OKC, SAS, GS & LAC all present match up problems for Dwight, let alone a 6'7 center that can't catch

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

Like I said, I am not advocatng waivng Doresey and one again I said I would like to have them both or any other shot blocker/rim protector. It doesn't have to be McGee. If the coaching staff thought that Dorsey was good enough at rebounding and protecting the rim, he would be in there at the end of the game.

If Dwight doesn't come back, does anyone else on this team really make you think twice about going to the rim late in the game?

The Rockets could use another big body. I don't have a vested interest if that person is McGee or not but you are hung up on a comparison between McGee and Dorsey while I am thinking what would work out better from a matchup perspective come playoff time.

Would you feel more comfortable with McGee going up against Jordan or Lopez, or Bogut or Chandler etc. than Dorsey when we need a rebound late? If the answer is no, then we agree to disagree. That doesn't mean I want to waive Dorsey.

5. Fantasma Negro

I think it sucks to punish one of our guys by cutting them to sign McGee. It sends a terrible message to free agents. Dorsey has worked hard all year and actually I think leads the team in rebounding percentage, cutting him now means he won't be able to play in the playoffs which makes him less likely to sign with a playoff team. That being said we need size in the middle, and when Dwight comes back he shouldn't be playing high minutes at first. Even though if we get McGee, Dorsey will be glued to the bench once Dwight gets back I still wouldn't cut Dorsey. There's a good chance we're drafting a point guard first anyway so we might as well drop Nick Johnson. This is what happens when you do a good job as a gm, you end up having to sacrifice good players but my God no one could mess with our bench if we get him. Terry/Pablo, Brewer, Pappy, Smith/Dmo, McGee. Just imagine the mismatches :eek::eek::eek:

6. chandlerbang21

Guarenteed contract

7. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Lol at ppl saying we're gonna cut Johnson instead of Dorsey of we land Mgee

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

I don't know if anyone is arguing that there isn't a hole at backup C or that Dorsey is really capable to fill that hole (at least I'm not).

I just don't think that McGee is the right move to fill hole. That he doesn't REALLY address our need (despite his size), and that he shouldn't be getting minutes in the playoffs.

Based on our current roster, It would be surprising to play Dorsey OR McGee. Our playoff rotation should be:
    Starting: Bev / James / Ariza / Jones / Dwight
    Bench: Dmo / Smith / Brewer / JET and/or Priggy

That's an 10 man rotation in the playoffs...

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly the main reason you do this is to keep him from other teams this year.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The rockets could win all things this year with the addition of a good backup center, why are you talking the flexibility with the cheap Dorsey salary?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How about we continue to go to war with who we have? I've got no interest in McGee. Someone else clearly better in a position of need? Sure. I just don't see that here. No thanks.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

I'm with you on that. I'm almost positive that there isnt a playoff-eligible FA candidate at any position that would break our playoff rotation.

1 person likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nate Robinson maybe

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having that dumbass on our team for the playoffs. It gives us even more reason to never let Dorsey on the court when games actually matter.

15. basketballholic

LOL.

Because Javale ain't a "good backup center". He couldn't get minutes playing for the Nugs, LabMouse.

16. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Javale McGee would provide solid rim protection while Dwight sits.... something Dorsey doesn't do.

17. Fantasma Negro

I'm with you on that but can you imagine if the Spurs or Clippers get him? Both teams have no nonsense coaches that could get him playing at a high level and that could come back to bite us. I don't want to see that happen

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you are counting on Mcgee to be a "good backup center" to win the championship for this Rockets team,

well please pass whatever you are smoking right now and lets share.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They said they same thing when we went after Smith.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is no risk here, only upside.

It would be stupid to pass on the opportunity.