1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone still doing their taxes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Apr 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is just a terrible experience. I am not getting a refund and IRS makes doing taxes so confusing.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Haven't started yet.... I got another week right?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Printingup my return now as we speak.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Oh ****. My taxes!

5. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I'm doing mines through turbo tax. Just one question, I bought a house last year and i'm trying to figure out the sales tax because I believe it's a deductible. How much is sales tax for a brand new home here in houston?

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I finally was able to do mine a few days ago after finally receiving my W2 from my previous company.

Took me about 45 minutes on turbotax.

Taxes are easy when you don't make **** and don't own ****.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

exactly, mine were done in like half an hour on turbo tax. lol.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

are you itemizing your deductions for 2007? i'm not sure theres sales tax paid on a house. is there any info regarding this on your closing statement?

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is no sales tax on houses, but you can deduct property tax, mortgage interest and points paid to acquire your home loan.

10. no_answer

no_answer Member

Wow slow pokes. We filed ours and had our return in Feb.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i still have to pay my taxes. i have to do quarterly filings. this one is going to be a big check to the govt. :( making money is great but man it sucks giving sooo much to the govt.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ditto.

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I've never done my own taxes before, but I'd like to start next year. I actually still haven't filed from last year

What's it like? Do you pull up old receipts and plug them into a software like turbotax? What receipts do you save and how do you know which ones will effect your tax return? ANY help would be new and helpful info to me

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember a similar thread about the 300 dollar rebate and how it's just a refund that will be from next year.

Is this true? Source?

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I made an error on my 1040 form. Can I just scratch it off(single black line) and plug in the correct number? Or do I need to use white-out?

I don't have white-out =P.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is my first year as well. I think all you need is your W-2 form if you don't have dividends or interest pay outs. If you have one income from one job(like me), the W-2 should do the trick. If you have multiple incomes, I think it gets more complicated. :p

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Started mine yesterday, then got bored and started drinking. I will probably finish tonight.

Mine are easy -- except for the fact that I have to report my music earnings and I have to come up with enough deductions to where I don't have to pay. It can get a little stressful.

I've always used Turbo Tax, the free version, but I heard that the Deluxe version is worth the extra $50 so I'm trying that this year.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You have to claim it as income. So "technically" its not a refund advance.

If you remember they did this before and we all had to claim the additional funds as other income. That will in turn reduce the amount that you will get back, but its not straight off of what your refund would be.

My only source is that I work in an accounting firm ;) though I am sure if you search on the irs.gov website you can find it there.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The money from the economic stimulus package will no have to be claimed as income.

To get the "rebate" you simply fill out your 1040 and if you qualify, then your check will be automatically mailed to you (or direct deposited) sometime in May.

From the IRS website (www.irs.gov):

Q. Is my Stimulus Payment taxable?

A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment. In the event you do not qualify for the full amount this year but you do next year, you will need to have the letter as a record of the amount you previously received.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Really? I could swear I researched it on the IRS site and read about it and realized that it was effectively straight off next year's refund. I could be wrong since I probably don't interpret their wording correctly..