1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's the right move anyway, but if you're Jeremy Lin, you don't want the starting role coming out of the gate after what we saw in Memphis and San Antonio. The bar is set high... any change from that "norm" is going to be scrutinized. I think JLin could do well in this role.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u5CVsCnxyXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

LOFs shouldn't hate this move. On the contrary, they should LOVE it.

This gives their boy a chance to move out from under Harden's shadow and prove that he can run a team that doesn't have a superstar SG who needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

5. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Hard to move out from under Harden's shadow when he plays 38 minutes a game.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He could be like Vinny "the microwave" Johnson from the Pistons championships.

Except we'd use a difference appliance name for Lin.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True. Not a lot of time without Harden, but I'm hoping they maximize it. Lin should be out there every second that Harden isn't.

I expect that Lin and Beverley will each get 30 minutes or close... they like to tinker with a three-guard lineup at times as well.

8. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Jlin about to lock up that 6thmanoftheyear award.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I agree. Even though he'll still play with Harden, he can be the spark and even primary scoring option off the bench with the second unit. He'll probably get more looks & shots than if he started (behind harden, howard, and parsons--he'd be the 4th scoring option). As the first (or 1a) scoring option off the bench, he'll be able to push the offense and tempo to his liking and not worry about deferring to the other stars.

I like it .

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

With Bev in the starting line up, I would expect an increase in Harden's TOs.
    Team is better on the defense end, but offense end is a big question mark.
    We will see more Harden ISO and Howard post ups. From the preseason, I only saw once Harden and Howard did well in the pick and roll, we will see if those two can keep running it...

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Meanwhile, Beverley’s superior defense, rebounding and reduced turnovers could make him a better “fourth wheel” candidate.

Im ok with bev starting for different reasons but saying for rebounding is a stretch. I would rather see a PG getting back on defense to stop a potential fast break vs crashing offensive boards. I would rather see a pg getting ready to catch the outlet pass to see if the potential is there for the ball to be pushed for fast break points vs crashing the defensive boards. He will be starting with the top 2 NBA rebounders from last season (per36) that is twin towers job to crash the boards.

Lin could have had just as many rebounds if he put that first but our bread and butter last year was fast break points the whole league knew the rockets like to run and were dam& good at it. So that was not a priority of his.

12. rocketblood713

its a conspiracy McHale Morey and Les ALL HATE Asians and Lin ...guess who says that ?

13. stjoesephsborn

Whatever, just make a decision and stick with it Mchale, I'm not a big fan of the rotating starters idea.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ben quotes McHale for saying that he wants to get Asik on the court more because he is one of the top 5 guys on the team.

More precisely, Asik is one of the top 3 guys on the team. According to last seasons's RAPM, it's basically Howard, Harden and Asik way above everyone else-- Bev, Lin and Parsons being the "next tier" well below the top 3.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Defense win championships.

16. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Twitter is about to blow up. Good luck to Clutch, Feigen, and Friedman.

17. trock

trock Member

That's kinda how I feel. This whole song and dance has been a bit tiresome. It seems like the whole thing was decided a long time ago.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Harden's minutes may go down to 35 minutes if the Rockets blow more teams out this season. Also, it will be easier to keep Harden on the bench 2-3 minutes longer with Lin on the floor.

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Doesn't matter who starts. What matters is who finishes.

-B.

1 person likes this.
  20. Play07

Play07 Member

Meanwhile, Beverley’s superior defense, rebounding and reduced turnovers could make him a better “fourth wheel” candidate.

Im ok with bev starting for different reasons but saying for rebounding is a stretch. I would rather see a PG getting back on defense to stop a potential fast break vs crashing offensive boards. I would rather see a pg getting ready to catch the outlet pass to see if the potential is there for the ball to be pushed for fast break points vs crashing the defensive boards. He will be starting with the top 2 NBA rebounders from last season (per36) that is twin towers job to crash the boards.

Lin could have had just as many rebounds if he put that first but our bread and butter last year was fast break points the whole league knew the rockets like to run and were dam& good at it. So that was not a priority of his.

prime example how the pros have mostly been brought up. I have no issue with bev starting but please be fair. Mchale/Lin was part of the rockets offensive success with run and gun offense last he deresevs credit for that.

1 person likes this.