1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Valve]Half-Life 3 / Portal 2?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Mar 3, 2010.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Co-worker just shot me this link. I don't really scour the Steam forums...so I wasn't aware of any of this. I loved HL2 and play Team Fortress 2 almost daily. So I'll be pretty excited if they're going to announce the next step in the Half-Life series. Woohoo...I love Valve. They really seem to care about the quality of their games and appreciate the relationship they have with their users.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/03/03/165202/Portal-Update-Hints-At-New-Game

"It appears Valve has begun another ARG (Alternate Reality Game) similar to the one that led up to the release of the original Portal game. A recent Portal update unlocked a new achievement which has uncovered various hidden images and sounds containing references to the Portal and Half-Life universe. Many believe this to be part of the run-up to the announcement of Portal 2 and/or the next installment of the Half-Life series. A thread on the Steam forums has already reached over 1 million views as people piece together the information. Another thread summarizes the information found so far. Based on clues from the ARG, some are speculating an announcement at the 2010 Game Developers Conference where Valve's co-founder Gabe Newell is to receive this year's Pioneer Award."

edit: oops...didn't realize this tied in with this thread regarding the latest Portal update...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=183149

2. Htown's2kFinest

I love Valve.

The Half Life series I think is the best ever. I been waiting to hear about HL3 since finishing HL2 and ep1 & 2.

This is gonna be the most epic game.

3. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

Yeah, I posted that, but nobody seemed interested so :p .

Anyway, I'm not too sure it will be Half-Life 3 just yet. The Episodes were supposed to be a trilogy so I'm guessing (and hoping) it's Episode 3 and Portal 2. I really liked how Episode 2 and Portal intertwined a bit and I hope they do that more with the next games.

Another reason I'd think it would be Ep. 3 over a whole new game is because they haven't finished the current story arc. It would make more sense to finish the current story and start a new one (or a new part of the story) in the next full-fledged game. After what happened at the end of Ep. 2, I really want to finish it :mad: .

4. Htown's2kFinest

Whatever, as long as the series goes on longer IDC. I rather play Ep. 3 then play the last game of the series which I heard would be HL3. Half Life should live for-ever and Counter-Strike too. I like all the different add-on mod games like that on Matrix rip-off was fun. I miss those days of going on servers and "hacking" the other team to dead. And of course going on those old super hero mod servers.:(

Just hoping this game comes out before my freaking eyes fail me. FML

BTW will the next one come out for the Xbox 360 or do we have to wait on a new console before it's released. Hope not.

5. boomboom

Supporting Member

hehe...I did read your post, but haven't really played Portal. My HL3 blinders went on as soon as someone coughed up the idea of advancing the HL series. :)

I'm really curious on how Valve could possibly evolve Half-Life (particularly the deathmatch aspect...which is what I prefer to play) both character-wise and weapon-wise.

No matter...investment in Valve's games are a no-brainer...no matter what game it is. They provide so much support above and beyond the initial investment a purchaser makes. It's insane what they do for users who really only pay for the initial product. From this angle, I see Valve as the anti-Blizzard.

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

yep they are still rolling out new content for tf2 2.5 years after release.

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

That should be the bare minimum.

8. boomboom

Supporting Member

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1074758p1.html

March 5, 2010 - Valve confirmed to IGN this morning that Portal 2 is coming and is set for release this holiday. Valve did not say what platforms it would be released on, however.

Valve has been teasing the sequel for the past week, updating the first Portal on its Steam client with new Morse code sound files, and even a new ending sequence.

We'll keep you updated if we hear anything new.