1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under the Radar SGs and SFs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 13, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's a top 10 lotto bust right there...

Perfect example of a guy getting a second opportunity with a team that has a great core and runs the system that fits the players ability.

You never know...

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey's had bad luck with Kansas lotto picks. Just say no to Kansas.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Aside from Thomas Robinson and Cole Aldrich (who was with us briefly and who is now doing moderately well with the Kings), who are the other Kansas busts via Morey? Also, it's too early to label T-Rob as a bust, True, I favor keeping Terrence Jones and trading Robinson for a mid-first rounder, but Robinson may well find his NBA legs in a season or two.

#23 thumbs, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  4. thumbs

Agree. In this, our thoughts are aligned.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morris. He was somewhat useful in his 2nd year, but going from a lotto pick to a 2nd rounder is not such a good result.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd like to know the composition of the Top-7 before addressing the 8-10 rotation spots. But that's just me.

7. thumbs

Agree on Morris. I called him (rightly) a bust from Day One. Just ask cxbibby, but we've had even worse (although too painful to contemplate) first round picks.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

What about Omri Casspi

9. smr6

smr6 Member

Ugh, I know he can play but I see people mentioning Matt Barnes and I just cant stand that guy. He just looks like trash, and his personality on the court (I know nothing about his personal life) only backs up that impression.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's restricted.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He's Jewish....

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What about O.J Mayo, or Marvin Williams

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Naw. It's best to try and address one or both of those positions in the draft. There are a lot of very good role players going in the 2nd round.

14. Asian Sensation

GERAL HENDERSON

Gerald Henderson- Intriguing prospect. To me at least. He's still young 25 and he's had an up and down career thus far but he really turned it on towards the end of this season. One could say he was just playing for a contract but it does seem like he finally figured things out. I found a good piece on him that's worth reading. Here's a tidbit wich I found most interesting from the article

"In what offensive sets however is Henderson most effective on offense? Probably when Henderson is running the pick and roll as a ball handler and scoring off of cuts. According to MySynergySports.com, Henderson scores 1 point per possession (PPP) as a ball handler in the pick and roll and 1.11 PPP off of cuts. He uses his speed to get around screens quickly and when delivered the ball, wastes no time finding a good shot. He doesn't stop the ball. He doesn't square up his defender and isolate. He immediately goes to the basket or fires up a jump shot." http://www.rufusonfire.com/2013/4/22/4252932/season-recap-gerald-henderson

So let's recap here. Young, athletic, improving, knows how to effectively run the Pick and roll, doesn't need the ball to be effective, not a ball-stopper, doesn't like to ISO. Has a really good mid/range game and likes to attack the hoop. Sounds like the perfect fit and compliment to Lin/James Harden. I think he's a good defender as well and he could be even better with more focus in that area and he comes from a good pedigree in Duke. If he can improve his 3point shot he'd be the perfect fit.

Questions: I think he's earned himself a nice contract with the season he's had. I'm not sure how much the Bobcats will offer since they are stuck with a bunch of crappy contracts. I don't know if the Bobcats are going to pay the big bucks to keep Henderson as the future starting 2 but I do know he's earned himself a nice payday whether it's with the Bobcats or someone else.

Furthermore, they have a similar ableit younger, more talented and gifted player in MKG who they want to build around but Henderson would continue to start if he does stay in Charlotte. I'm not sure how Henderson would feel about coming off the bench but he'd get plenty of minutes and shots here as the 6th man and he can play both the 2 and 3 spot so he'd fill in nicely for Harden or Parsons.

I'd rather make a nice offer at Henderson even if it may be a little more than what we want to spend rather than going after a Corey Brewer, Matt Barnes or targeting someone like Tony Allen/Kyle Korver who likely won't be going anywhere or entertaining the idea of bringing a scrub like Bud back.

15. Asian Sensation

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

ill chime in with under rated and under the radar players that could catch some attention...

PG - jarret jack / jose calderon
    SG - morrow / belinelli
    SF - corey brewer / matt barnes

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Whoever hasn't yet been signed as a free agent by mid-August.

The Rockets will let the market play out, with teams overpaying free agents at a level similar to several guys who will be available for cheap a month later. That's exactly what they did last summer with Delfino.

They also might be able to re-sign Francisco Garcia, either with cap room, for the veteran's minimum ($1,265,977, only $884,293 of which is paid by the Rockets and counts against their cap) or with the Room Exception ($2.652 million).

That, or they might give James Anderson a shot to join the rotation.

18. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

nate robinson

though somebody will give him a larger contract than he deserves because of his playoff performance.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I have little doubt that Morey will find an under-the-radar SG. Backcourt players might be what he does best.

Dorell Wright could be a decent pickup.

Trevor Ariza! (as a BACKUP, I'd be okay with it as someone who can defend. But that ship's sailed and he'll probably be more than $2 mil)

There can be the Anthony Parker / Alan Anderson foreign league types to plug in, not sure who they are.

20. platypus

platypus Member

Players that id like to see get a look.

JJ Reddick
    Marco Belenelli
    Matt Barnes
    Jr Smith (don't expect it)