1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Apr 2, 2014.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think this market is dying fast.

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I don't see a market for this. Even if you don't have a smart TV or a device that can stream this content, why wouldn't a Chromecast be a better option? $100 is not a game changer. You can get a bd player with WiFi for cheaper.

4. VanityHalfBlack

I have this already, I think it's called a Computer? $99 I can buy a w**** in Tijuana and a hand job, lol.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't see an advantage here. Chromecast is much cheaper and will stream from your browser, Apple TV is equivalent (minus the games) and will airplay from iOs devices, and Roku is also equivalent and more established.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean it's true...but if you have a Xbox One and you aren't paying for Xbox Live you probably just like expensive paper weights.

Chromecast for the mf win by the way.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not really too sure what kind of advantage people get with this compared to any of it's competitors. Amazon is a little late to this market, and I haven't seen anything so far that shows that this is worth buying over something like Chromecast which has a much lower price point.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's new about this is the tight integration with existing AMZ services, such as cloud player and instant video, which are free to Prime subscribers.

the voice search feature is cool too. I have a chromecast, which i almost never use, an ATV, which is used mostly for movie downloads, and NBA TV.

I've ordered one of these too- might need a new TV w/ more HDMI inputs!

10. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

If Amazon can get the right content for TV and gaming, this can certainly be a thing.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I haven't been that impressed with Chromecast. Between the lack of apps that use it and still having to use a computer it hasn't really been that useful for me.

This device seems like its just more of the same as Roku and Apple TV. I guess competition is good but none of them really stand out from the others.

12. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

So the handjob doesn't come with the w****?

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I have a Chromecast connected to my bedroom TV, barely gets used. And a Roku on our TV in the living room. If CSN ever gets the Rockets on DirecTV then I'll move the Roku to the bedroom and replace it with an AppleTV. The Chromecast will likely go to the junk drawer. My only other TV is in my "Cave" and it has a PC connected to it.

I said all that to say that I have absolutely no need for a new Amazon streaming device. And I get the feeling that I'm not the only one.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lack of apps? Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Pandora, and a bunch in the pipe...I mean...what were you expecting? I use Chromecast to stream Rockets games from my PC to the TV since I don't have CSN. It pretty much will do whatever you want, if you have it on your network.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They bought Double Helix for video games, so I'm guessing they'll have some exclusive content coming. They're solid, but I don't know if I'm buying this set just to play their games. They made Strider recently, and they also made the new Killer Instinct game on Xbox One.

I have Strider, and it's a lot of fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HDQiyKnn_A8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Add Plex to that list. And if you guys don't know, there is a Plex Channel plug-in for the Ballstreams.com website. So I can watch the Rockets without having to stream it from my PC.

17. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Which device is best to mirror your Macbook pro? Apple TV? Just want to be able to play media files from my computer in addition to Netflix. Thinking of Sopcast as well or other streaming software (for sports, for example). With Chromecast, don't you need to stream everything through the browser? Is that a smooth way of doing it?

Does anyone know if a mini pc is a better option (such as the neo x7)? That way you have access to xbmc as well as all the apps. But then would that mirror a Mac effectively as well? Can't seem to find a 100% answer online on the last one.

Anyone able to give any tips?

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I bought a cheap used office desktop PC on Amazon for $90 just to use for streaming to my living room tv so anything my computer can play I can watch, eliminating worrying about compatibility or available services. Freed up my laptop and gave me way more viewing options than other devices (especially when I'm watching streams that work better in VLC or IE than Chrome or downloaded movies streaming from my other pc). I'm surprised I don't run into more folks that go this route.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

https://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular

You can argue that Chromecast has the ones that are used most often but it pales in comparison to the other devices. And it requires external hardware to use it.

I also use it for streaming league pass but for anything else there are better options out there.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Plex is awesome. That's where most of my use goes to with Chromecast. I also use it from time to time on my Roku.