1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to get a new laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

So my Macbook crapped out and im looking for a non-apple computer

Not going to be doing to much gaming so not a gaming laptop but something that will be good for multimedia as well as microsoft office and stuff like that

budget is $1,000

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Only recommendation I have is that whichever Windows PC you decide to get, make sure it has a solid state drive.

3. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Yep, at least get one with a hybrid drive. Any brands you're fond of?

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

SSD is highly recommended, but its much easier (and cheaper) than you think to install one yourself.

Also, $1000 is a huge budget for a laptop with your requirements. Are you looking for an ultraportable or something with a huge HD screen?

5. BonziWellsGOAT

Not particularly...just wasnt sure how much the cost would be and i dont mind spending on a quality computer but if I can get one cheaper im all for it

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What are your requirements?

I would recommend a quad core I7. Laptops now usually have plenty of memory, so that typically isn't an issue.

As others said, an SSD is nice, however I wouldn't make that a priority. Hard drives can be upgraded later. The quality, processor speeds, screen size and whats included on the motherboard can't.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Refurb or used MacBook air with a windows partition for boot camp on an ssd.

A new one would cost an extra hundred or two.

Pretty light and portable. Not powerful for heavy work like graphics or software development, but great for everything else.

Those depends on if screen size matters to you.

8. BonziWellsGOAT

What about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-17-3-laptop-8gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/8968379.p?id=1218957871989&skuId=8968379&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=2

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Depends on whether you're gonna carry it around and not be plugged in.

I'd say no if that's the case..

Also, if you're gonna use it all the time like a desktop, that one might be okay.

Finding a laptop is a lot like finding a phone or car...it depends on what you want to do on it and what you're okay with.

So what do you want? If you don't say, people are gonna give you doubts after you buy something...

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I don't think an i7 is necessary for what he's gonna use it for. An i5 should be perfect.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If I were to buy a new laptop today it would probably be an ASUS or Samsung.

Hybrids like the ASUS Transformer are pretty great too.

13. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

The battery life is a bit concerning though, it's only rated for 3hrs 53min, which means with normal use it's probably actually around ~3hrs.

I second CJLarson's sentiment. An i7 for your stated use would only be a luxury, and if you want to save a few bucks, an i5 would be just fine. I also agree with Svpernaut, but would add lenovo onto that list.

14. BonziWellsGOAT

Really liking the advice....keep it coming

thanks guys

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Coming from a macbook I'm surprised build quality isn't higher on his list. There's so much build quality variation on the PC side.

I think screen size is square one. Will the laptop be sitting on a desk everyday, sitting in your lap while watching TV, or shuttling to class/work everyday? What's the portability requirement?

After that, build quality is my number 2. For his 'requirements' almost any laptop with a latest-gen Intel chipset/cpu is going to be powerful enough. Like you said almost every laptop comes with enough RAM too, although to say a number I think 8gb is a minimum.

I think an SSD should be a big upfront factor. For day to day use, I think a general user would notice the difference between a 5400 rpm HD and a SATA3 SSD far more than the difference between an i5 and i7.

16. BonziWellsGOAT

Well I already have a work computer so itll be at the house mostly for recreational use and whenever I need to work from home.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Agree with others that say SSD should be a requirement. At your budget that should not be a problem. An i5 should be plenty powerful for what you are planning to do,.

As for brands, I would look at Asus, Lenovo, and Samsung. I also think you should strongly consider machines that have touch screens. I know that would be a must-have for me if I was in the market for a new laptop. Some of the convertible devices are really slick. For example: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/yoga/

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Gotcha. I'm not crazy about Toshiba build quality myself (MBP owner) but the ones i've worked with are fairly reliable.

I'd look for something with a 4th general Intel Core CPU, whether i3, i5 or i7. That and 8gb of RAM minimum and an SSD. That should be doable for $1k laptop.