1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So this is your insider code. Interesting. If only I could decipher the meaning/recommendation!

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

well i learned a lesson today. i sold a position in order to buy some GILD, but apparently i couldn't because it takes a few days to clear to deal so you can reinvest. pretty pissed since they demolished the earnings estimate and is surely about to bounce

3. Major

Major Member

Positions generally take 3 business days to clear. The way around this is to activate margin on your account. Even if you don't use it in the traditional way (borrowing to invest), it lets you "float" the cash so you can buy positions before the sold one has cleared.

4. fallenphoenix

thanks, i'll have to look into activating a margin. GILD only is up 2% after hours, so maybe it was a blessing if it dips tomorrow on this small jump ;)

5. Zackery

Zackery Member

WoooHoooo... I'm gotta get a bit richer tomorrow thanks to APPLE.

6. fallenphoenix

same with me and CRUS (hardware provider for apple that are reporting earnings today)

high 5

#7086 fallenphoenix, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  7. Outlier

Outlier Member

How much richer? Man i want to get into this but seems like there will be a lot of thinking and money risk involved.

8. Zackery

Zackery Member

A little under 3% richer for my entire holdings. Most of that is because of AAPL's 8% increase.

It's a little risky to get started. When I started to invest in the stock market about 3.5 years ago, I was negative for the first 1.5 years. After that a learned a few simple things like don't sell off after a small drop.

Now my money is growing a whole lotta faster than if it was in a savings account.

9. fallenphoenix

there's definitely a learning curve. if you're worried about risk i'd play with fake money and see how you do before really investing.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

yea its trade date plus 3 days settlement or youre trading with unsettled funds. ha ha

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Anyone recommend any good investing books for noobs?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

13. fallenphoenix

CRUS has been killing it! up almost 25% since last week

14. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Ugh debating getting out of twitter put position or not...they moved up earnings release date so don't like that...was waiting for lockup to expire to help but maybe take the $ and run....

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bump.

Relatively new investor here. I'm currently in grad school and working and I finally saved enough money to the point where I won't have to take out student loans. I'll have extra money saved up from work and I want to invest. I opened an account at fidelity and I'm ready to get rollin'!

So any tips? I'm thinking maybe GE/Lubys(LUB)/and some other food companies. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Big difference between GE and LUB. What got you looking at LUB? I mean it might be due for a bounce, but that would be something you would reserve for a speculative side of your portfolio.

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

LUB has a downtrending chart. I wouldn't buy it now.

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I'm kind of a sucker for buying at 52 week lows. Also read a few articles saying that it was under valued. I'll watch it for a few more weeks. If you were in my position what would you do?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I would get out of that habit of looking for stocks on 52 weeks lows. That said LUB looks interesting as a value play. I'm gonna do more research on it.

1 person likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah I really like that LUB.

Also I really like those longer dated call options on LUB. They are very thinly traded but the October expiration 5 strike calls are offered at 75 cents. If it was possible for me to get them somewhere around 50 to 60 cents or cheaper I would load the boat. Those are priced too cheap and this stock is too volatile.