1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morris thinks he's fighting for the Starting SF spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Is this guy for real? Last year he sucked A$$ . All of a sudden he swaggers onto the court and does pretty much whatever he wants to; do you honestly think that's going to give him the starting spot?

Hell fricken yeah!!! By what I've seen, Rice needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Nachbar was a huge disappointment last night; he couldn't hold on to a rebound or ball with crazy glue on his palms. And thomas is still a PF, no matter what Rudy says. Morris was everywhere. He was scoring on jumpers. He was rebounding fiercely. He was playing defense great.

If he keeps playing like this, Morris is the starter!!!

2. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

He won't be the starter. Rice or Thomas will be. I am still very happy with Morris's play. He just has to show that he is able to play good when it counts.

3. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Don't tell Kenny that. Didn't he have quite a few steals last night?

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Kenny has been playing great at small forward! He should start. Terence hasn't earned the spot yet and Kenny is the better player, with more expierence.

5. dttd888

dttd888 Member

I agree he could "push" for a starting job. I love his aggressiveness. Coaches seem to be working hard on his release, that was his main weakness last year. Good defense, rebounding, and athleticism. I hope in his mind he thinks he can start, why not have that kind of confidence? Only makes one better. If they start Rice, great. But I would like to see him come off the bench, a la Matt Bullard. He will stay fresh this way, and can change the tempo with his stroke. Nachbar starting this year will be a stretch, but you got to give this guy time; don't be ripping him for one game's performance. IMO, let KT have a shot at the 3, you got to give Griff, and MoT. minutes at the 4. Morris will contribute.

6. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Kenny will probably start at SF. He has been playing awesome in the preseason. He should start over Rice, Nachbar, and Morris. Morris played terrible last season. This is just the first 2 games. It is just the preseason. He hasn't proved anything yet.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Just curious ...but does Rudy know yet that Les fired Carol and hired you to take his place? :p
    j/k

8. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Exactly, lets not get too excited, we'll see how he does in two weeks against the Pacers.

9. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Yeah. What if he starts sucking again?

10. knifejc

knifejc Member

I think its great that Morris THINKS he's fighting for a starting SF spot. That just means he's gonna work that much harder to finally live up to his potential.

11. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I wasn't saying that it's bad, but Kenny should start at SF.

12. because24

because24 Member

I agree if Morris continue to play this way he should be given the opportunity to start at the small forward position. Yeah Nachbar was a huge let down, but that was just one game I'm sure he'll have more good games than bad (hopefully).

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Even if he continues to play at this level, Kenny is still better. I doubt that TMo will play this good all the time.

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Boy, what a microwave oven world we live in. Everything has to happen now. Tmo is in the last year of his contract and saw the way DL went and did something about it. He not here to make trouble but just do everything the team wants him to do. I am sure he is not expecting to start. As it is he is still #11 on this team.

15. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Pardon me, but this is just not about the first two games. T Mo has been playing great in practice too according to reports.

He is a first round draft pick who is living up to his potential. He deserves substantial playing time, because he is our best defensive small forward. If he is hitting his shot, how do you keep him off the court??

16. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Wow. I didn't know that they extended the first round to 34 picks instead of 29 (well I guess 28 cause of McHale and the Wolves getting their picks thrown out) . :rolleyes:

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Well, we traded a first rounder for him.

And, if he had left two seasons before he did, he would easily be picked in the 1st round(and probably in the lottery)

So...he is pretty much a 1st rounder for us.

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The only reason that we traded for him was because Steve wanted him on the team. And we didn't trade a first rounder. We traded a second rounder for him I believe. He isn't better then Kenny. Kenny should start.

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

How exactly did all this "Steve wanted his former Maryland teamate so Rudy drafted him" stuff start?

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, we traded the first rounder from Detroit we got in the Mirsad Turkcan deal via New York.

Besides, Rudy said we would've picked Morris with one of our #1s had we not moved up to nab EG. Morris was clearly a first rounder in Rudy's book.

And no, Steve isn't the reason we went after Morris. He didn't hurt the cause, but Rudy and others have alluded to the fact the Rockets were interested in Morris since his sophomore year. Besides, he's a classic Rudy-ball player.

I don't think Morris is playing for the starting slot for this year-he is fighting for his share of the minutes, and possibly starting after this year. If Morris is producing, he lessens how much we need to bring KT back after this year.