1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Rockets hit 40 before 20 and be championship contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Feb 25, 2015.

?

Will the Rockets hit 40 before 20?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

79.3%
  2. No

20.7%
  1. RESINator

RESINator Member

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/22/sports/sp-lakerep22

If the Rockets fail to hit 40 wins before 20 losses, they are not championship contenders.

Their next 3 games are Clippers, Nets, and Cavaliers @ home. They should be able to coast through the Nets. I'm worried about the Clippers tonight given that they've always had a difficult time with the whiners. The Cavaliers game might be the decider on if they are 40 before 20.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't think they're championship contenders regardless.

1 person likes this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would hope so. They need to go at least 4-1 on this homestand and they've got a pretty good shot at it. You figure the Nets they should beat. That leaves the Clippers and Cavs. Even if the Rockets fall yet again to the Clippers tonight, the Cavs will be playing their 3rd game in less than 4 days(it's a 2:30 tipoff) when they come to town on Sunday. The Rockets need to capitalize on that.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I don't for a second believe the premise of this thread "hit 40 before 20 to be a contender".
    The West is loaded this year more than any other year in the past and you need luck whether you have won 40 or whatever, in the playoffs to have the right match up.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Will they show up against LAC or CLE?

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pop will laugh off this BS.

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Coincidence and it does not matter, would anyone here feel we're a contender just because we win a certain amount of games before we lose a certain amount?

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You have to go 72-10 and have two of the 50 greatest NBA players in history to even get a sniff. Suck it, Zeenman. You know nothing about building winners, you only know how to join a stacked team and tell them how to get along. Douche.

9. onreego

onreego Member

Did the 94-95 Team get to 40 wins before 20 losses?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We're going to win tonight. Book it.

1 person likes this.
  11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The 1995 Rockets just called from March 10, where they're 35-24. They told me Phil Jackson can suck their ****.

1 person likes this.
  12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Damn it, you got to it as I was typing it up. :grin:

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight's return could mimic Clyde's return.

The stage is set

14. stab

stab Member

Won't matter either way

Considering how brutal the west is, any of the teams that make the playoffs in the Western Conference could lose in the first round and it wouldn't be considered an upset..

Outside of the clippers, we could beat any team and it wouldn't be considered an upset in my opinion. As long as Dwight comes back healthy come playoff time(and stays that way), we will not be an easy out. Keep in mind he had himself a pretty darn good playoff series last year against Portland while Beard was struggling, to the tune of 26/13.7/2.8 Blocks. Now I'm not saying he's gonna pull that off this playoffs, but his presence will definitely be felt.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Top 3 in the west is nothing to sneeze at.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They should just make a rule that says if you aren't at least 40-19 after 59 games, you have to stop playing the rest of the season. I mean, it's not like anybody has ever won the championship with a record of something like, I don't know, 35-24 or something.....oh wait.

On a side note, it must have been awesome to be Phil Jackson, and always have teams that were stacked enough, and durable enough to never deal with early-season injuries that might derail his asinine 40-19 theory.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Jackson is at it again.

I mean, sure, that may be a good indicator on how good a team is but there is no way that is a way to indicate if a team is a championship team or not. Basically judging a team on it's first 60 games is delusional when there are 82 games in a season plus the post season. What if a team was heavily injured the first part of the season? How about those teams that start off hot but crash towards the end of team season for various reasons?

By his logic, the only teams that are or can be championship contenders this season are the Warriors, Hawks, Grizzles, Rockets and Blazers. There's a chance that 4 of these 5 teams can be ousted in the 1st round (West teams).

18. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Yeah but this year the west _______.

Insert some cliche that is probably true.

19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

This is just some bs he told his teams to get them pumped up.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If Dmo fail to get his 18 points before Jordan grab his 15 rebounds, the Rockets should cut him tomorrow?