1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith: Rockets "quietly sending out signals they’d trade Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Saw this article and I am not sure if this was post but if it is lock and I apologize before hand.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_130311.html

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is Sam Smith... but that won't stop the hornets nest from being rattled.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Damn. Not suprised though. I imagine everyone is fair game except for Harden and probably Parsons. Morey is going to keep going until our team is truly a contender.

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Sam Smith has made a career out of fabricating rumors. This isn't that far-fetched, though.

5. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

"Then maybe they work a deal to move Lin to the Jazz, who need a point guard, for maybe someone like Al Jefferson."

LOL

Jefferson and Howard would be a horrible pairing, they both completely clog up the paint. Gross

6. just a word

just a word Member

I'll just be in a corner incoherently screaming kthxbye.

7. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I thought it would be tough to move either Asik or Lin because while their cap hit for us is 8 million, if we traded them, their new team would have the 5 million cap hit in 13-14 and then the 13 million dollar cap hit in their last year?

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Morey is always thinking about the bigger picture and don't tell me you wouldn't trade Lin and or Asik for an upgrade at either position? I can imagine Lin going first since we have a cash cow in Harden and can get one or maybe two this offseason. Asik makes such a huge impact on defense, it must be top notch talent for Morey to trade him.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm buying this, even though it's Sam Smith. The Jefferson part makes no sense, but I'm assuming he's purely speculating there.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the cap hit would remain $8.3M. The team trading for either guy would just have to pay them $5M next year and $15M the year after.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

How many times do we have to keep repeating ourselves around here... No matter when or where either plays for, whether traded or not, they're Cap hit will always be 8.3 mill...

1 person likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who are we getting from the HOrnets, Anthony Davis?

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

They'd trade anyone not named Harden if it lands a 2nd superstar. This is not news.

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

hes probably hearing right but he is just dumb.

Morey is going for CP3, harden and howard.

They can make it work... Morey just has to have trades for salary dumps for Asik and Lin lined up to pose a threat to the clippers and lakers.

I am the one on here been saying we will sign CP3 and Howard from the week we got a harden.

They are sending out fillers so they can have trades lined up to force sign and trades.

I dont know the exact semantics behind what it would take... but something like signing CP3 out right or working a sign and trade for CP3 with clippers where we send them lin, picks and maybe players with team options like brooks.

Then do the same with howard. Send Asik picks and contracts if need be.

The other teams do this for the same reason cavs and raptors eventually gave in and worked sign and trades with miami.

Just saying no way CP3 and Howard pass up their one opportunity to form a big 3 like miami did...a superior one at that.

cp3
    harden
    Parsons
    Dmo/Trob
    Howard

then we are left with a bunch of cheap contracts
    beverly, smith, german guy...

then we can use vet mins and small exceptions to sign the veterans looking for championships like battier and ray allen did.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

New Orleans has been quietly sending out signals, from what I hear. :)

15. MrJason

MrJason Member

How would Harden/Jefferson/Howard be worse then Kobe/Pau/Bynum?

16. basketballholic

Asik and Lin to Boston, Rondo to Clippers, Paul to Houston, sign Dwight outright.

You bet your bottom dollar Morey would trade them if the right player is there. And Paul may be Morey's third most loved player in the league behind Lebron and Harden.

17. lwlee

lwlee Member

The fact that the Rockets got Aaron Brooks would seem to make Jlin more expendable. Morey may not want to deal with Jlin's onerous final year.

Giving up Asik would be harder to replace. With the Lakers current run and the fact that they can pay Howard more, from what I understand, I seriously doubt Houston has a chance at Howard. I don't see anyone else out there that could be a decent upgrade over Asik.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

the notion that cp3 is going to leave the clippers is nuts.

19. pnr

pnr Member

I mean, this isn't really news. Everyone but Harden are assets.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

S/T Lin + Asik for Dwight