1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Nov 15, 2008.

1. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

It pains me to even bring this up, but has anybody else noticed that Bill Worrell seems to be declining? We talk about McGrady starting to lose it...but seems like Bill's not as sharp as he used to be either.

There's a few occasions every game that he seems like he's a play or two behind, or names the wrong guy that just made a play, or just misses the ref's call and announces the opposite.

Maybe it's the fact that he doesn't have a real color-man by his side. But the smooth tones of Bill Worrell just aren't as smooth anymore. As a fan who's watched the Rockets since infancy, this saddens me to say more than anything you can say about our "superstars."

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

You'd be declining too if you were next to Drexler half the time :D

3. Landlord Landry

it's the Clyde effect. I haven't noticed anything particular......except that Clyde finds a new way to suck at color commentating, every game.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

bill's never been good. his homerism is embarrassing and painful to listen to and the only thing that makes him tolerable is the fact that clyde might be one of the dumbest people on television.

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I've noticed it as well. He used to be on the money with Calvin. However now I notice him making a lot more mistakes than he used to. Old age takes us all. :(

6. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Bullard's not a very good excuse for a color-man either. Oh how I'd love to have Calvin back.

7. Just2MuchHype

Just2MuchHype Member

Bring Van Chancellor back that guy was great.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That will be fun.

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I would PAY to see a team of Van, Calvin, and Clyde.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

He doesn't impose his will anymore.

11. Landlord Landry

oh god no......calvin was more than annoying, i have actually turned games off before because of him. they just need to get brownie and jd to call games.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I visited someone on the floor before the Rockets game. Worrell comes walking by, I get like semi-star struck. I don't know it was weird. Anyways he puts his hand my shoulder as he tries to move by. Looks me in the eye like I am crazy (I am wearing Rockets red, I am not a suit boy, not for Rockets games) and he had the bluest eyes and the most caked up face. Anyways ya. Just wanted to give that to the thread lol.

13. LoveRoxHateJazz

What if Bill got Calvin Murphy fired? The guy seems to want a lot of air time, and he probably didn't like sharing the spotlight with Murphy. I don't care what he says about "his man" Calvin Murphy during the broadcasts.

And you guys have to admit, Clyde is getting better.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you mean Clyde is less annoying so far this year, maybe so.

Bill is fine.

15. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I don't really think Worrell has lost a beat. It's who he is paired with that brings him down.

Worrell and Calvin had very good chemistry, and that has not been matched since.

17. MandM's

MandM's Member

I think he is becoming a little bitter and argumentative...happens to announcers whan thay get old.

Instead of calling the game thay fill time giving their personal opinion.

And in time...they have to eat their words

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Oh yeah, he made a great duo with Worrell.

19. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Bill Worell is the man. Bullard and Clyde force him to make mistakes with all the dumb side stories. Has anyone noticed how they love to talk about deserts during the commentating? I love cookies. hahah oh Bill you were attacking those last night!

20. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

Rockets commentators are the worst complainers. All they do is cry about the previous play and why they don't call it both ways. Every game unless they are losing. It was not this bad when Calvin Murphy was around. While Calvin was cracking jokes with players Bill Worrell was trying to keep up with the game. Those were the days.