1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, May 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. alaskansnowman

Anybody have any news on how his workouts panned out with the Rockets?

He really seems like an interesting prospect... I mean a 7'1 SF. But don't we already have a tall SF, one that has gotten 1 year of experience under his belt watching?

I'm a little confused as to this Gasol clown... is he supposed to be good shooter ( a la Nowitzki, Peja, or Langhi)? The profile says he's got 3 point range, yet he's only a 58% free throw shooter!

Does anybody have any insights or anything on this clown Gasol? LIke I said, a 7'1 or possibly a 7'2 SF is very hard to find, so he does have some real nice potential. To me, Gasol looks like a Langhi clone. Very tall, athletic, but incredibly skinny with a good? shot. This guy is even more skinny than Langhi is. MORE SKINNY THAN LANGHI! Is that even possible? 7'1 or 7'2 and only 215... man these foreign players are don't get enough food in their countries.

Other than that, I really don't know much about him. Agreeing with Clutch, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rockets uniform because there is no denying his potential if he works hard to correct any weaknesses, though I dunno about using the 13th pick on him. Oh well, there's always room for 2 Dan Langhis on the team, but soon Walter will have to get kicked off in order to make space.

Also, we should keep an eye on Forte in case Shando leaves, and I think the consensus is that he will leave.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited May 21, 2001).]

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He had workouts with the Rockets? I thought that was Brendon Haywood? Anyway, after reading Gasol's stat lines for his seasons in Spain, I don't think I want this dude anymore... what about him exactly made people think he would be a good pick for a team in the NBA? His PPG suck, his FT% sucks, his ASST/GM sucks, his 3PT FG% sucks.... I can't find much about the guy that I like... [​IMG]

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

3. Band Geek Mobster

I mentioned this in the other thread but I heard on the radio that the Rockets have quite a few scouts in Spain checking him out. He said that the Rockets are trying to keep Gasol as their little secret hoping he'll drop to one of their picks. All I'm hearing is the next Kevin Garnett/Dirk Nowitzki from people describing him. I'm not buying the hype, but it should be noted that the Rockets love this guy. I'm starting to think more and more that if they get the 18th pick, they'll draft Gasol if he falls that far.

------------------
    I refuse to use smiley's in my posts, you'll just have to figure out how serious I am on your own...

4. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

I was in spain recently last month and he led his team to the championship for spanish leagues and from their perspective it may only be a matter of time before he comes to the nba..presumably this year..he is a hero there already..

he is a great great shooter but he does lack muscle..i would definitely pick him up but 13 may be a little early...

------------------
    "no matter how good she looks someone... somewhere..is tired of her sh*t"

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I was doing my best to try and figure out why alaskansnowman kept calling Pau Gasol a "clown." For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

Then, I decided to search around the internet and found out just why. I guess he really knows what he is talking about because I found proof that Gasol is a clown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

7. haven

haven Member

But how is he a great, great shooter if he only shoots 58% from the free throw line?

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited May 22, 2001).]

8. alaskansnowman

Yeah that's exactly what I thought.

Jeff:

LOL

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

LOL at Jeff. Weren't his #'s less then impressive in Spain ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

His 1:2 assist/to ratio is kinda scaring me, too. His 3 pt shooting isn't all that great. His rebounding is good, but that's overseas. So what exactly makes this guy great? He's 7-1 and can shoot?

------------------
    "I encourage you to take a look. His rhythmic meter and usage of alliteration is sublime, as is his boldly dark but refreshing subject matter, which rivals that of Byron or Shelley"-- this statement was actually made by a guy who won our fantasy basketball league (fadeaway). We're not worthy.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What makes Gasol a better prospect than our own Dan Langhi?
    Isn't Langhi considered to be the better athlete between the two?
    Doesn't Langhi have better lateral quickness?
    Isn't Langi suppose to be an exceptional shooter like Gasol?
    We have seen that Langhi is willing to be agresive, we know Gasol likes to dunk but how about in the NBA after he gets knocked to the floor a few times?
    I would like to know what makes Paul Gasol such an attractive prospect when so many people don't beleive in Langhi?
    Gasol can't even shoot free throws as well as Shaq! Doesn't sound like Dirk to me!

Weaknesses: Lack of intensity, dosn't have great speed for a small forward (conditioning can possibly improve this), lack of strength (this can be improved, for sure), Shot selection and shooting are question marks.-www.nbadraft.net

Once again according to nbadraft.net Gasol does not sound like Dirk. Dirk is increadably athletic and plenty fast for a small forward.

Langhi is 6-10 with great hops and is a great athlete with a lot of speed and great lateral movement. He is a pure shooter and has range out to the three. Oh yeah he can also shoot free throws and we also know he plays with intensity.

Do we really want to draft a lesser version of someone we already have because he is 3 inches taller?

------------------

12. alaskansnowman

Those are all good points. Langhi is most likely the better athelete between the two, and most likely the better shooter, though I AM going based on assumptions. Plus Langhi has more experience and against better competition than this clown [​IMG] Gasol. A 7'1 SF is appealing, but didn't Oielpere say Danforth was actually 7'0? Not much of a big difference in 1 inch IMO.

But there IS a reason why this Gasol is projected possibly in the lottery of a very deep draft, and why Langhi fell to the 2nd round.

------------------

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yeah there is a reason, everyone is looking for the next 7' small forward from europe. But I have a news flash...There is only one Dirk [​IMG]

------------------

14. MManal

MManal Member

I have no problem using the 13th pick on Pau Gasol. Lets suppose you had the opportunity to get a Dirk Nowitzki type player a year from now and the price would be the 13th pick, would you do it? I would. Problem is, Boston apparently is interested in Gasol, and its possible he could be gone by 11th.

The Rockets would save the cap room the 13th pick would take up and still have their other picks to address current needs. This draft is deep enough to the point of being able to land productive players even in the 20s. The Rockets could easily wait a year for Gasol and draft the likes of Terence Morris and/or Ken Johnson for immediate help.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Whooooop!! There it is

Rocket River

------------------

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

There are at least two Dirks... Kukoc and Dirk. I'm not debating how good either of these players are, but either of them would be a good pick at number 13.