1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speeding wrecker driver killed after hitting drunk driver in northeast Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smoove shoez, Aug 7, 2010.

1. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.khou.com/v/?i=100111014" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.khou.com/v/?i=100111014" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

A wrecker driver who was racing another driver to the scene of an accident was killed when he crashed into a car in northeast Houston early Friday, according to police. Police said it was a bizarre chain of events where all parties involved had some fault in what happened on the road.

Police said two tow trucks were racing down Jensen around 1 a.m. trying to beat each other to the scene of an accident. The drivers then came to the intersection at Laura Koppe where a car was approaching the red light.

One speeding tow truck driver swerved to miss the car, but sideswiped it instead, according to police. The wrecker driver lost control of the truck, slammed into a wooden electric pole, then careened into a metal pole. The mangled truck then flipped over and landed upside down.

The driver died at the scene. Witnesses said the other tow truck never even stopped. The man in the car survived with minor injuries.

Police said while the car driver was not at fault for the accident, he was legally drunk. His blood alcohol level was .13, which is over the legal limit. He was arrested for DWI.

The tow truck driver was an employee of the Zone 3 wrecker service. His boss came to the scene and said the victim was a hard-working family man, had over 25 years experience and had been with his company for almost 5 years. He said he could not imagine his driver caused the accident.

http://www.khou.com/home/HPD-Speedi...nk-driver-in-northeast-Houston-100111014.html

2. luisantonio1014

This is sad, although no surprise since most tow truck drivers are like this. They always race to an accident scene to make their money. I see them all the time speeding down the freeways and being nuisances to other drivers.

3. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'll find it to be incredibly difficult to muster up any sympathy for this guy. I hate how tow truck drivers go around with zero regard for anyone else on the road. But bonus points for taking a DWI driver off the road.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

So did the other wrecker guy tow the busted up tow truck?

5. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Zero sympathy for the wrecker driver since he died doing what he loves........

.............................driving like an asshat wrecker douche. Good thing no one else died.

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Did they tow his tow truck?

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I'm sorry but wrecker driver's in this city are the freaking worst. I my self have gotten into arguments with two wrecker drivers for tailgating me and the other for cutting me off twice. :mad:

8. Classic

Classic Member

Tow trucks driving like this happens all the time. How is there not a city ordinance against this kind of activity? Citizens should be able to call in wrecker drivers to some type of agency. It's ridiculous how many times I've been damn near slammed into going 70 on the freeway by a tow truck driving at least 90 to go make his money. Vultures.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In Dallas, there is a rotating schedule for tow truck companies, so you don't see the maniac tow truck drivers.

It sucks though, because wrecks get cleared much slower than in Houston.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

tow truckers basically rape their customers with their charges. and have no care for other drivers on the road as they race to make their money. sad for the family but can't feel too sorry that one less trucker is gone.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The guy that the wrecker hit is being charged with intoxication manslaughter...even though the wrecker was at fault? Wow. :confused:
    =================
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/HPD-...nk-driver-in-northeast-Houston-100111014.html

by Allison Triarsi / 11 News

khou.com

Posted on August 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Updated today at 11:29 AM

Related:
    •Raw: Wrecker driver killed in NE Houston crash
    •Tow truck drivers say city guidelines encourage reckless competition

HOUSTON – A wrecker driver who was racing another driver to the scene of an accident was killed when he crashed into a car in northeast Houston early Friday, according to police. Police said the driver struck by the speeding wrecker was charged with intoxication manslaughter because he was drunk behind the wheel.

Police said it was a bizarre chain of events where all parties involved had some fault in what happened on the road.

Police said two tow trucks were racing down Jensen around 1 a.m. trying to beat each other to the scene of an accident. The drivers then came to the intersection at Laura Koppe where a car was approaching the red light.

Police said 25-year-old Rogelio Villalobos was changing lanes in his blue Nissan 240SX when he was struck by one of the speeding tow trucks.

The tow truck driver swerved to miss the Nissan, but sideswiped it instead, according to police. The wrecker driver then lost control of the truck, slammed into a wooden electric pole, then careened into a metal pole. The mangled truck then flipped over and landed upside down.

The driver died at the scene. Witnesses said the other tow truck never even stopped.

Villalobos survived with minor injuries, but police said he was legally drunk. His blood alcohol level was 0.13, which is over the legal limit. He was arrested for DWI and intoxication manslaughter charges were added later.

The tow truck driver was an employee of the Zone 3 wrecker service. His boss came to the scene and said the victim was a hard-working family man, had over 25 years experience and had been with his company for almost 5 years. He said he could not imagine his driver caused the accident.

The deceased driver's identity is being withheld pending verification by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.

12. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

My wife almost got ran off a road by a wrecker a few months back. I have no sympathy. Wreckers are bottom scum dwellers. I guess lawyers fall in this category as well.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That charge doesn't make sense. The legally drunk guy deserves some penalty, but if he was pulling up to a stop at a red light, and the tow truck driver hits him...yeah, I don't see this charge sticking.

14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

how is it his fault? i'm willing to bet if the guy wasn't drunk, he wouldn't be hit with this charge.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah it doesn't make any sense, unless the drunk guy actually caused the wreck. But that's not what it sounds like to me.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know here they use a different system than first come first tow, for this very reason. When an officer calls for a tow truck, there is a time set and after a certain amount of time any wrecker at the scene puts a business card in a hat and one is drawn. That person gets the tow, unless the driver specifies a particular company then that company gets it if they are there within the time limit. No racing no fighting over the tow. The only time it is different is if the car is causing immediate danger to the roadway, then they will shorten the time limit or give it to the first one that shows, but that is never announced over the radio.

17. PointForward

PointForward Member

I'm glad to see we have so many drunk-driver sympathizers on this board :rolleyes:

but, but, he didn't do anything wrong! he was just taking a casual stroll in his ride after knocking down a few drinks!

And people wonder why drunk driving-related accident are so common. It's this damn sympathetic mindset that we have. He was driving drunk for god's sake, putting your loved ones and my loved ones at risk, They can fry him for all care.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

per wiki

He was racing, and intoxicated, and someone died. There's the rational for the charge. Possibly the lawyers will argue whether the act of racing caused the death -- or if it has to be more direct. Many jurisdictions cast a wide net of responsibility when racing is involved.

What a crazy system for tow drivers to make a living. And I'm not too heartbroken for a tow truck driver who reports to work drunk (and then races to the scene).

EDIT:

I misread the story -- it was not a tow driver drunk. Count me in with those perplexed....a reaaaalllly wide net to include the car driver as a cause of two others racing....

#18 bnb, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Sympathy = 0

I've seen too many of these guys running red lights and going 90 down 610.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This story has so much karma in it.

That's ridiculous. I'm in favor of charging people for the crimes they actually commit. We have a law against drunk driving already and they can charge him with that. There's no need to make up some charges to pin on the guy.

You think if he wasn't intoxicated, they wouldn't have charged him with Intoxication Manslaughter? :p