1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[INTERVIEW] DARYL MOREY talks Draft, McGrady and Media 3-on-3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raheel1560, Jun 22, 2009.

1. raheel1560

raheel1560 Member

Morey joined John and Lance this morning and addressed the T-mac to the Knicks trade. He also talked about some guys in the draft...check it out!!

<div>
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="210" height="25" id="mp3playerdarksmallv3" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerdarksmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/mf/play/edddp/JL-DarylMorey-6-22-09.mp3&autoStart=no" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerdarksmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/mf/play/edddp/JL-DarylMorey-6-22-09.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerdarksmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>
    </object>
    <br /><a style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; padding-left: 41px; color: #2DA274; text-decoration: none; border-bottom: none;" href="http://www.podbean.com">Powered by Podbean.com</a>
    </div>

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

sweet, thanks for sharing!

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

recap for those with out audio at the office?

4. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Recap anyone? I don't feel like listening for 18 minutes.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good interview. Love Daryl's quip about the GPS talking in the background -- "This is how I draft too... it just beeps and tells me what to do."

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

And for those without audio in the hospital?

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Great interview.

LeBron coming to Houston because we have an American owner!

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised sympathy plea.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes, duh. So make with the recap.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I really like Morey, he is so entertaining without really saying too much...but you can read between the lines to get an idea as to what is going on.

DD

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...for those of us unable to access 'those lines' what was in them, please...and thanks...x...

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

Morey and the guys talk about the tournament for a while (im thinking thats not what ya'll are interested in). Three peat, almost Houston Comets in the Media 3-on-3 tournament. Made a joke about how Nuno's game got slowed a bit... once they started calling fouls.

Lance shifted it towards basketball, addressing rumors about trades. Joked about how Morey is probably doing nothing these days since the Rockets have no draft picks. Also discussed the strength of draft (this a less than average draft according to Morey). There are really good PGs, but he also said that point guards are a lot easier to find. Lance said that early-2000s draft were terrible, and the influx of international players has made the draft more consistent.

John then talked about the rumor of tmac for hughes, mobley. and demanded with Morey to not make that trade. Morey said that TMac is still a big part of the team and important for the playoffs, and expect him to contribute next year. Many teams are looking for financial relief. He re-iterated that the Rockets are in a good position. Morey then discussed how there have been a ton of calls for Tmac due to the economy and his huge contract (and he is a servicable player.) Made the comparison to LaFrenz last year, except TMac is worth more money and can actually contribute. TMac might come back beginning of the season, but not likely, timetable more likely dec to march. They discussed the tactic of drafting and stashing international players overseas (Tiago Splitter, anyone?), and how its had varied results, the best of which is Ginobli. They then discussed how the Rockets finally have some good talent that other teams want- Brooks, Scola, etc.

thats off the top of my head- covers the main stuff i think, enjoy!

2 people like this.
  13. DreamRoxCoogFan

in that regard, morey didnt say anything, but its obvious that they are working hard to get a pick. He said they have about a 50-50 shot of getting a pick, probably late first round. They are obviously very very active.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

-RECAP-

- Morey said they are active in trade talks
    - Lots of interest and calls on Mcgrady
    - He feel if Mcgrady can heal, he can help out in the playoffs as a go to guy
    - Expect Mcgrady back between Dec. and March, no real timetable
    - Getting phone calls on Brooks, Lowry, Scola, Landry and Shane from teams
    - Gives a 50/50 shot of making a draft day deal.
    - Host asks Morey to NOT trade Mcgrady to NY for Hughes and Mobley
    - He says he doesnt get calls on Yao b/c everyone knows that they wont trade him
    - Morey thinks Rubio will be a special player
    - Morey thinks the draft is slightly below average, good point guards though

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Strange. Most likely he's just manipulating value through words like he did with Landry's knee?
    This doesn't sound so great. If we're going to go through another drama fiasco with TMac I'd rather it be at the beginning of the season. If it's later than December you're playing with fire.

16. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Sounds like we are in a great great position to pull off some moves.

I think something big will happen on draft day.

17. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

hopefully!

18. Yunion05

Yunion05 Member

I like the part where he says he doesn't get calls on Yao because everyone know that we won't trade him! :D

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I strongly feel like the management won't be phased by T-Mac drama this year. He has already played his trump card (out-for-the-season/microfracture surgery), so they know that they can either wait and see what happens with his recovery. If he is back before Dec. and he is playing much better, then great. If he is not back/he isn't playing great, then i expect a trade before the deadline.

In Morey We Trust

20. herro

herro Member

interestingly coy...Mr. Morey. I like your style.