1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban: Every Bit of Me Wanted to Kick His Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 22, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was listening to the Ben & Skin radio show at about 4:30 in Dallas today on The Fan 105.3 and they had Mark Cuban on. One of the main topics of conversation was Chandler Parsons and of course Mark had some Hot Sports Opinions about Daryl Morey and the Rockets. I found some of the interview interesting and thought I would post what I could remember.

Question:
    Was signing Chandler Parsons away from the Rockets just business or was it personal?
    Cuban:
    Of course it was personal. Every bit of me wanted to kick his (Daryl Morey) ass.

Cuban went on to say that going up against Daryl Morey was like playing chess and that Morey was really smart.

Question:
    How certain were you that the Rockets would not match the Parsons contract?
    Cuban:
    I was about 90% certain they would not match, even if they had signed Bosh I don't think they would have matched.

He went on to talk about how the way he structured the deal made it almost impossible to trade Chandler.

Question:
    Did you think Daryl Morey was trying to taunt you last summer when he tweeted you about trading for Dirk?
    Cuban:
    No, I just think thats how Daryl Morey is. His philosophy is to try and throw as much talent on the floor as possible and let the chemistry take care of itself. In Dallas we believe that chemistry is an important thing so we don't think like that.

Question:
    Did you see Daryl Morey's tweet about the Rockets drafting young talent players like Chandler Parsons while the Mavericks have to over pay to get those players?
    Cuban:
    Yes I saw it. I though it was funny since the Rockets didn't develop Dwight Howard or James Harden. He claimed that the Rockets had never developed a young talented player.

Personally I found that funny since he is claiming that Chandler is a young talented player and the Rockets clearly developed him.

He also talked about how the Rockets / Mavs rivalry show be even better this season since the Mavs signed Chandler away from the Rockets but he also said that SA would still be the Mavs top rival and not Houston.

Sorry I can't remember more but the interview was from earlier today and I was in my car so I couldn't exactly take notes or record it. Almost everything is paraphrased except for the part where he said that every bit of him wanted to kick Daryl Morey and the Rockets ass.

Edit:
    Here is the link to the 1st hour of the podcast. It was a 2 hour in studio interview but I don't think he talked much if anything about the Rockets in the 2nd hour.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/22/mark-cuban-in-studio-hour-1/

Edit 2:
    At some point during the interview, Cuban is asked what happened with Gerrson Rosas last summer and why he left the Mavs. Cuban actually sounded a bit irritated at this question to me and said, "I don't know, you will have to ask Gerrson." He then followed that up with, "that happened last summer lets just move on."

#1 crash5179, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. ThaShark316_28

It's why I love Cuban. It's chump or be chumped. Kick everyone's ass. That's why a lot of folks hated him early on, but I didn't. Because Mark plays no games with anyone. Two of my favorites in this league are Morey and Cuban. Cutthroat mentality wins.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Probably not worth responding to.

"Dallas believes in continuity". LOL.

/s/ Marion, Carter, Nash, Chandler, Calderon, Etc.

4. crash5179

He did not say continuity he said chemistry

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I want somebody to ask Cuban if he genuinely thinks Parsons at 15 million is a good deal. He wouldn't actually say yes, would he?

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is all but admitting to overpaying Parsons for personal reasons. Don Nelson's comments after the signing seem to back that up.

At times I like Cuban but he screwed up this time and Mavs fans seem to know it. He locked up big time cash and screwed himself for the next three years for a player who flat out isn't worth it. Parsons' offseason makes me wonder if he is even interested in trying to live up to that contract.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bring it on!

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cuban was pissed off about not being able to get Dwight, and then he said he never wanted him.

9. crash5179

He definitely paid more because he was trying to hurt the Rockets as well as improve the Mavs.

Something else he said that I didn't catch all of. It sounded like he was hanging out with Chandler at a night club in LA or somewhere when Chandler met Kindle Jenner. I'm thinking Chandler was still the property of the Rockets at that time but I'm not sure. It sounded like Cuban had been planning on stealing Chandler for a while. It also seemed like Chandler made some comment about developing a relationship with Cuban while he was still a Houston Rocket. Sounds fishy either way.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for posting that. I think those are all very reasonable points by Cuban, and I appreciate the candor and transparency, albeit I might have just made a redundant statement.

Bottomline: Cuban has just announced he finally considers Houston a rival. It would be awesome for us Rockets to just ignore him as the superior team in this era and say, 'eh who cares about Dallas.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

So his "revenge" for us getting Dwight was to severely overpay for Parsons? Ok.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Haha can't wait till when Chandler flops and Mavs are stuck with a overpaid role player and wasting Dirk's final years.

13. bmd

bmd Member

I like Cuban. He's a worthy adversary.

14. King901

King901 Member

Hate him, but cubes did his job.

15. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I wanna twist his stupid looking head off.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I definitely think Parsons made his mind up to leave Houston if given the opportunity long before he signed his new contract at the club. I saw enough of him interacting with Harden to know something was wrong there and his multiple foot-in-mouth comments throughout the season and after his signing with Dallas support the notion that he thinks he is an alpha dog and a franchise player.

I'm 100% good with him leaving. His growing ego and fame-chasing would have short-circuited chemistry in the locker room. I expect he is going have back issues anyway and will be a 50 game a season player by the time he is 28.

17. crash5179

18. baubo

baubo Member

So by his own admission, the Rockets didn't develop any talented player, which would include Parsons, but that Dwight Howard is a talented player.

Well, he apparently likes to overpay for non-talented players and treat talented players like assets.

From last season interview

19. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Can't wait to embarrass them on the court. Dallas, Lakers and Portland are my most hated at the moment.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

LOL! Yeah.