1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Making the Playoffs next year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jun 26, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

So many posts on this site either are premised upon or rejected for failing to account for the 'fact' that "the Rockets are looking to make the playoffs next year"...I see this as a ridiculous assumption upon which to base how we build our team for the future, and here's why.
    1) Teams that strive for mediocrity often achieve it. Almost every recent championship team has been built upon extremes, either by virtue of the draft or free agency or forced trades, to accumulate superstars..(Lakers, Spurs, Bulls), or, like the Rockets and Pistons, through drafting 1 superstar and surrounding him with great depth and/or role players. At this point in time, the presence of the former (Lakers, Spurs) makes the second method even more difficult. That being said, I feel that moves towards a championship should be of the high-risk, high-payoff type. Bill Walsh, (I know, different sports, but whatever) states that most personel moves in pro sports are made conservatively,therby making most teams gradiate towards the mean....ie, if you seek medicroty, you will often achieve it.
    2) Of course the Rockets would like to reach the playoffs next year, but at what cost? Short of signing Webber,any move the Rockets can make this offseason predicated upon that maxim will keep us on the treadmill of fringe teams with no real shot at a championship...Having said that, I'm greatly in favour of making a move (like trading up) and acquiring someone like Brown or Griffen...I agree that high-schoolers are a gamble, but that's what the draft is as a whole...
    3) I'm not dismissing the positive P.R. effect that making the playoffs has on potential free agents, but in order for that to be relevant, we'd need to maintain our cap space, therby cutting into moves aimed at "this year"...
    4) That's all (!?!?) I have to say right now, and am slowly compiling a list of what I think the Rox should do, so I can post it and satisy my own need to expound my highly debatable wisdom, and excercise your 'skip' button skills...
    Sorry for the verbosity, again I blame society..I'll probably contradict everything I've just said next time.

------------------

2. Timing

Timing Member

Huh? [​IMG]

------------------
    The death penalty SUCKS.

3. Colby

Colby Member

If we don't make the playoffs, next year is a waste. We have to improve on 45 wins.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If we lose Olajuwon we will not make the playoffs unless we find a low post presence via FA. None of the HS guys will be ready next year, nor are any of the collegiate players enough to carry us. If Dream leaves we would need C-webb, A. Davis, or M. Jackson to be a playoff team.
    If we do manage to keep Dream and Mo-T then we would look good to get in position to make a playoff run next year. Sacramento (assuming they lose Webber) will probably be fighting to stay in the playoffs and the Clippers (if they continue to improve with their young tlaent) will also be fighting us to get in. If we could get someone via the draft (ala Battier) or via FA (a good backup center or SF) we could legitametely be a good playoff team (5 or 6 seed in the West).
    Problem is if we must keep in mind that Dream will only be here for 1-3 years and with his age, 65 games would be considered a healthy year.
    Let me * everything by saying my greatest fear now is going after C-webb, losing Mo-T and Dream and then having C-webb go else where. I really doubt if he (Webber) will be here. I would rather sign Mo and try to sign Dream for much less than the 10 mil/year. If Dream won't take less let him walk and heavily pursue A. Davis (I know he is more of a PF) and/or M. Jackson.