1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Seth is the smartest guy on houston sports radio. He is probably smarter than even charlie.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

National will come calling for him imo.

3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Ok, yeah 790 do talk some rockets but compared to the extraordinary amount of coverage the Texans get it's very little, especially since the season has started now. I completely understand the lack of Rockets talk during off season but when you have a game every other day or so to break down and discuss & you have a good team that will probably win 50 games and get into the playoffs, you would think they could talk about them more than just 10% compared to 90% Texans discussing the same game 5 days later.

The fact is true, Texans are the biggest team in Houston. Just look around you, bumper stickers on the road, go to the grocery store and you see families all wearing texans jerseys, texan calendars around the office. How many times do you see a person wearing a rockets jersey in public? Very few times.

This didn't just happen when the texans made the playoffs, this has always been the case but it wasn't this lopsided when it came to Texans VS Rocket talk. Back in Mid 2000 aside from Astros WS run, you could probably get 40% rockets talk compared to Texans.

Football has gotten more popular in general in Houston, it's become mainstream. Even people I knew in Highschool that never watched sports are posting things on facebook about the Texans every weekend.

4. sabesque

sabesque Member

I missed that - I tuned out after 10 minutes of analysis of what Andre Johnson meant by "I support both of them"

Obviously I don't expect them to talk Rockets all the time. I'm just saying, as an avid Rockets fan who is only moderately interested in the Texans, Houston sports talk radio is not for me.

5. conquistador#11

i think a month after the nfl draft is over, we might get some rockets talk, then mini camps begin. =/

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

When the local sports stations are talking Texans in April while the Rockets are solidifying homecourt advantage and then the playoffs start, you know there is something wrong.

7. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Agreed 100%

And one more point, directed mainly towards these radio talk show dudes,
    Your job Mr. Radio dudes, is to put on a show about Houston sports and have callers call in and comment on YOUR show. That is your job, it is not our job to get you to talk about The Houston Rockets!

Do your damn job, like we all do our jobs!

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Oh yeah, one of those morning guys needs to go! You know the one, he is always talking about the Texans, blah blah blah...

Which Houston Franchise has won a championship?

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's even worse in Dallas- back in 2011, after the Mavericks won the 2nd game of the NBA Finals, the Cowboys were the headline on the front page of the Sports section and the Mavericks were at the bottom. Totally serious (not that I follow Dallas, but I live in Lubbock and you see 2 newspapers on display in Lubbock- the Lubbock Avalanche Journal and the Dallas Morning News)

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Think about the kind of person who would be willing to spend 45 minutes on hold in the middle of a work day to talk about how Ryan Mallett should have been the starter since September 15. Now think about how stupid it is to allow HIM to be the deciding factor on how you run your show. That's the problem with Caller-Based Radio, and Houston sports radio in general. The hosts have to cater to a certain crowd, and unfortunately here in Houston, that crowd also happens to not give two ****s about the Rockets.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Come on, man, every time I come into Houston and turn on sports radio, it's ALWAYS mostly about the Texans. Heck, I've heard more talk about UT some mornings than the Rockets, which truly pisses me off- it's not Austin, Jesus. And that includes 790.

11. famicom

famicom Member

Wow did anyone catch this?

[​IMG]

I knew he looked like somebody!

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I cannot stand it when a host lets a caller drone on and on and repeat himself 3 times. I find myself yelling at the radio for them to hang up, and sometimes turning the channel.

That's one reason I love Howard Stern and Diane Rehm. They both know exactly how to handle callers. Most other hosts do not know how, and it's lazy of the shows to rely on callers so much.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Its Texas! Football is King, not that hard to grasp. The ratings have shown, that the majority of people listening to talk radio want to talk about the Texans. Football talk basically drives sports talk radio down here. Its all about the ratings, getting more listeners, ect. Houston Rockets just simply isn't a big enough draw to overtake Texans talk during football season and sometimes, even off season.

If Houston Rockets talk were bringing in the numbers that Texans talk does, they would talk Houston Rockets. It would be in their best interest. Thats all it boils down to, business.

And I think caller based radio sucks. The callers are rarely good, maybe one or two throughout the show. Plus, its mainly filler for host who don't have enough material or "hot takes". Its lazy radio.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

It's true. Basically what it is is that the average sports fan in Houston has regressed over the past few decades most likely due to the constant influx of new "Houstonians" This new average fan needs to graduate from kindy-garten and at least get back to the highschool grad level of a sports fan. I'm optimistic just from seeing the U.S. on a national level flip out during the Brasil FIFA World Cup like never before. We should be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.

Granted the Astros mgmt does everything in their power to dissuade interest, but there is no reason for "Houstonians" to not get pumped about Rockets and basketball.

The first thing I heard when I turned my car on today on 790 was a fervent debate and statement on how the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS were the best football team, and Phil Rivers this and that. Then it turned to Mallet. I heard the name Mallet like 20 times in 2 minutes it seemed.

To their credit, the 790 morning crew / the proper gentlemen do get around to the Rockets, and they're not dummies. Tad Brown was interviewed today, Morey the other day. I liked how Adam gave props to T.R. Dunn in conversation with Morey. So he knows his stuff.

It's on "Houstonians" to give a damn about the non-football sports again, and I think that will swing quickly once the ROOT sports thing finally starts.

(wow that was a little too long)

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Texas Sharpshooter argument there bro...

Again, the bulk of the talk is about the Texans. But the hosts on 790 are talking Rockets, and not just a wee bit either. I listen everyday, on my way to work, during lunch, and on the drive home. On my drive in this morning, Rockets talk DOMINATED the disscussion. Even with Adam Clanton out on vacation.

I get it, we're Rockets fans. We like to complain about disrespect, lack of media attention, and rankings snubs. So I'll just back off and let it be. Maybe we should all tune in to 790 more, and call in and drive some discussion. I disagree with those saying that there is no Rockets talk, but sign me up with the crowd that isn't opposed to hearing more of it.

16. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Not to belittle the point, but anyone who has lived in Dallas can tell you that there is absolutely no sports radio station in America as good as the Ticket (1310am).

I hate that city with a passion, but holy cow do they produce a good radio program. I miss it all the time on the East Coast.

17. conquistador#11

i love how when 610 does talk rockets, it does an 180 in the first five minutes and turns into a chupacabra monologue on how the spurs are the greatest thing since the tortilla. I already get the spurs lovefest from the babymomma and my kid don't need it on radio! GTFO out of my dried lawn with that spurs crap.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

You wanted it, so you got it. CP's show was 95% Rockets talk today.

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Rockets 18-5 with historical performance from harden and an emerging post player in Dmo, than getting Howard back too. Texans on the other hand, lost 1st pick for the season and pretty much out of play off race but guess what, tomorrow will be all Texans all day.

20. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

790 will talk about them a bit -- AC is maybe the only ACTUAL Rockets fan left on Houston radio, as I don't think Matt Jackson is currently employed by a terrestrial radio station.

610 is too butthurt and too much of a Texans station. They are, plain and simply, a joke. They're not "sports talk," they're not "Houston sports radio," they're Texans talk 24/7. Hell, Anna Megan Raley's t*** probably have been talked about more on 610 than the Rockets.

Look, it's 2014, almost 2015 -- we all have smart phones with wifi connections. There is NO REASON any of us should be listening to talk radio, ever. There are hundreds of professional and amateur podcasts that will give you better content with less advertising, lame "formats," out of touch program directors, and mouth breathing borderline r****ded callers.

Listen to The Starters, Zach Lowe, Bill Simmons, etc etc etc.

Talk radio's relevance is diminishing and will continue to, as it should. It is unquestionably an inferior product.