1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perkins, Ibaka froze out Reggie Jackson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Nov 8, 2014.

1. basketballholic

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-serge-ibaka-froze-out-reggie-jackson-vs-nets

As if the Oklahoma City Thunder didn't have enough problems with the injuries to Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Jeremy Lamb, Anthony Morrow, and I think their concession guy, and balloon animal artist, they've also got a growing chemistry issue. Backup point guard/part-time startings shooting guard Reggie Jackson didn't reach an agreement with OKC on an extension, has made it clear he wants a starting job.

Now the Oklahoman reports that due to his gunning behavior in OKC's Monday-night loss to Brooklyn, big men Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka "froze him out," refusing to pass him the ball.

In the final hours of those failed negotiations, Yahoo! Sports reported that Jackson is determined to find a starting role in restricted free agency next summer. The report went on to say that Jackson could command a salary in the $13 million to $14 million range.

At a shootaround before the Thunder's home opener last Saturday, Jackson even hinted that he might not call Oklahoma City home for much longer when he said he is “just trying to play my role while I'm here.”

That comment went largely unnoticed by most.

But Jackson already had said enough to turn local supporters into skeptics.

When he finally took the court after missing the first three regular season games due to an ankle injury, Jackson didn't do himself any favors in the court of public opinion.

He played selfishly at times in his season debut at Brooklyn on Monday, putting on a one-man show and what seemed to be a dribbling exhibition designed to search for his own shot. He finished with a game-high 23 points but took 20 shots. Perry Jones and Serge Ibaka, the next two highest shot takers, had 12 and 11 shot attempts, respectively. Jackson had five assists but committed five fouls and seven turnovers.

Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins grew frustrated with Jackson by the third quarter. Both big men began freezing out their point guard, refusing to pass him the ball to lead the break following defensive rebounds.

After the game, Thunder coach Scott Brooks even publicly criticized Jackson for not moving the ball.

Jackson took responsibility.

Perkins wasn't proud of his actions, either.

via Oklahoma City Thunder: Reggie Jackson says enough to turn supporters into skeptics | News OK.

The news is doubly bad. Not only does that kind of dynamic threaten to fracture what has been a close locker room without Durant and Westbrook there to lead it, but it means Kendrick Perkins has the ball more. Jackson still got five of his 20 shots up in the third quarter. In their loss later that week to Toronto, Jackson still took 14 shots, but also tabbed 14 assists.

Jackson has proven he's starter-quality but the only way OKC can survive this stretch without their two best players is by playing an efficient, team-centric game. They can't afford agendas right now. You wonder if at some point the Thunder could look to move Jackson before the trade deadline, affording themselves more offensive balance and adding some much needed depth on the wing.

Thought this was interesting. Just a couple points here.

1. If the bigs are freezing out RJ over one bad game, why haven't they already frozen out Westbrook multiple times? WB piles up usage at times even when KD is out there. Not to mention when KD is not out there.

In my opinion, very stupid on Perk's and Ibaka's part. Jackson was arguably the second best player they had playing. Should he have moved the basketball? Absolutely. But it was stupid for those guys to approach it with a freeze out. Proves they are against Jackson and his contract drive. It is starting to appear to me that Jackson's drive to start (justifiably so, he deserves a starting job in this league) is going to cause his teammates to actually run him out of town. They would never do such a thing to Westbrook and Westbrook is way more of a one-man show than Jackson ever thought of being.

2. With the increasing probability of Jackson being traded at some point this season, I am going to include him on my list of trade possibilities for this season.

1 person likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know what it would take to get him, but I definitely wouldn't be upset if we acquired him.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you remember, there were some rumors that Perkins and Ibaka weren't big fans of Harden either.

4. baubo

baubo Member

Just from a PR standpoint, no way Presti makes that deal. His owner would probably veto it even if he does have a good offer. And I'm not sure Reggie Jackson should start on the Rockets either, quite frankly.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think he'd be a great 6th man on our team

6. basketballholic

Did not know that but if so it further shows their stupidity. Perkins I can understand. He's been in the 'tard category for some time now. But Ibaka? He would have been on a rookie deal at the same time as Harden. No reason for him to hate on James.

7. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

[​IMG]

Lol!!! With 20 shots, I'd drop 25pts, with less turnovers...

Lmao man, are you srs, even Rocket fans know this!!! Ask them lolol

8. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

$13-$14 mil range? :eek:

9. Classic

Classic Member

seek help

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lol @ Kendrick Perkins freezing anyone out

1 person likes this.
  11. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Kendrick Perkins should be happy he even gets to see the ball.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I understand him wanting to be a starter, but that cash range is crazy. Nuts.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Parsons deal and new TV contract have raised free agent expectations to another level.

I believe RJ is a goner and expect Presti to trade him at the deadline.

14. conquistador#11

(in arnold voice)
    alright everyone, chill!

back in my day, we iso'd people never froze them out.

15. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Reggie Jackson isn't Westbrook, Jackson was playing for a contract. 2 differences

16. basketballholic

Every player in a contract year is playing for his contract. Nothing wrong with that.

But the implication here is that he's being selfish and not wanting to play winning basketball....only get big numbers. And that's flat-out wrong. He was the #1 perimeter option they had on the court and arguably the 2nd best player active in that game. He was playing to win. If he had hit a couple more shots and committed 2 less turnovers everybody would be raving about him. So ridiculous how things like this get blown up that are nothing.

17. theangrycanary

weird.

For some reason I was under the impression that Reggie Jackson was good. I remember hearing that he played really well when Westbrook was out last year.

But I just checked his stats. They are putrid. A career 29 percent three point shooter?

Why would anyone want this guy starting? You guys think he's a starter?

18. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I would rate him somewhere inbetween Jeremy Lin and Jeff Teague, which is borderline starting material today. I wouldn't pay him $12-$14m.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd rather have beverley. better defender, better shooter, better chemistry, better contract.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some on this forum overrate RJ because (1) he performed OK against the Rockets when WB missed the playoff series and (2) OKC did well during WB's injury the following season when KD shot the ball insanely.

But like I said in another thread, those of us who've watched him on a daily basis know RJ is limited by some things, one of which is poor 3-point shooting (even when he's wide open).