1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Used Golf Clubs for a Beginner. How Much???

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KDavis, Jul 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

I just got started playing and have been using a friends set of clubs.

I'm interested in purchasing a used set, but i don't want to overspend yet i don't want useless clubs for the future.

What should i do? Where should i go?

How much money should i be realistically be thinking of spending?

Thanks in advance.
    KD

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

4. yobod

yobod Member

Honestly, being a beginner like you are, I wouldn't even mess with used clubs. There will be wear and tear on the club heads, and as a beginner, you want your clubs to be clean, so you can get a good idea of your game style. You can go to academy, and buy a brand new set of clubs, bag included, for anywhere from $120-$250, depending on how much you want to spend. And stay away from the Titleists and Callaways for now, because all of those clubs are tuned for people who have been playing a while. Getting a club with 10% more loft would mean nothing to you, since your focus right now should be strictly on making solid contact, and getting the right length and height on your shots. Plus, since it would be a used set, whoever the previous owner was would have bought and adjusted his clubs according to HIS style. You need to set your own style first. I bought a new set from academy 3 years ago, and I'm still very happy with the clubs today. I went from shooting a 110-115 to high 80s-low 90s now, and my clubs still suit me well. You might need to add a sand wedge or a different putter as you get better, but the bulk of your clubs will remain the same.

5. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

co-signed

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Can anyone recommend a way to go for me with clubs? I want a relatively cheap, beginner set of clubs like the ones you guys mentioned in this thread..

except I'm short. The guy at the golf shop suggested I go for 1-inch-short clubs and said they sometimes have 1 set in stock (but didn't today). I tried to look for that description online and haven't found a thing!

So from what I've read, all club manufacturers do NOT make clubs the same length. There is no standard. So basically, if I can't find "1 inch short" clubs, I am looking for a manufacturer who makes clubs shorter than the average.

Here is a chart with something close to an average length: http://www.golfspyder.com/golf-club-length.html

I need 0.75"-1" shorter than that, in theory...

Yeah, just no clue where to turn. But I do know that using clubs that are too long has always messed up my shot..

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As a club fitter, I rarely see anybody too far off of standard length clubs because taller people usually have longer arms and shorter people shorter. Most everyone's hands hang between 33 1/2 to 35. 1/2 from the floor.

But shorter clubs are a little easier to return to square so I tend to fit a little on the short side of the chart for beginners if they are custom ordering (Country Club people mo$tly). But you probably are not going to find used clubs or 'Box Set' clubs in custom lengths since 90% of people fall into the average range. Used clubs can be cut down but they have to be regripped to do that at about $7 a club; but, that also stiffens up the shaft and you don't want to try to play with too stiff shafts. You don't get any release of energy at the bottom of the swing.

85% of all people will have swing speeds that are fit by 'unifit' flexes too. I see people playing 'too stiff shafts all the time. When clubs are custom made to shorter lengths they are trimmed on the butt and the tip to maintain the flexibility.

I work for Callaway but I highly recommend used Big Bertha irons for beginners.The offset and channel cut weighting do make them easier to play with. You can find them in minus lengths at callawaygolfpreowned.com. They come with uniflex shafts standard.

But as I have said many times, Box Sets are probably the way to go for newbies, you get everything you need, brand new at a reasonable price...bag, putter everything. You don't end up with a mixed bag of stuff and the quality is fine to start off with.

#7 Dubious, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

callawaypreowned.com

I would buy a set of used Big Bertha x-12 irons. Great for beginners. Learn how to hit your irons before trying a driver or 3-wood

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Ok I dont really play golf but goes out to the driving range once in a while but

trying to pick it up...but

What's the diff between the "degree loft"? I see some 8.5, 9.5 and 10 on the driver

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The ball will travel higher if the loft is a higher number. It's basically the angle of the club face. Therefore a 10 loft will probably go higher in the air than an 8.5