1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A true sports hero.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 11, 2003.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've witnessed Alex Zanardi's wreck many times now, it is truly one of the most horrific racing accidents ever. To watch him drive today after losing his legs was truly inspiring. CART racing is arguably the best racing in the world right now as far as the wide open competion the cars allow. F1 is of course the pinnacle of auto racing, but it has become very predictably as to the outcome. The German 500 hundred was thrilling today with Zanardi's exhibition return making the race something special.

Zanardi Returns to Track After Accident
    By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer

KLETTWITZ, Germany - Just as he used to week after week, Alex Zanardi donned his maroon-and-white uniform and settled into a race car for some practice laps at nearly 200 mph.
    But these spins around the track Friday were quite different, of course. They were the most meaningful of his life.
    That's because they came at EuroSpeedway, where Zanardi crashed during a CART race 1 1/2 years ago, an accident so violent that his legs had to be amputated.
    What was it like to be back behind a steering wheel on that track?
    "It felt fantastic," the Italian said. "When I got into the car, it felt just like yesterday. But this was really a pit stop that lasted a year and a half."
    On Sept. 15, 2001, Zanardi was leading late in the race when his car left pit road. As he pulled out, he appeared to accelerate too early and lose control as he swerved across a grassy area. His car was slammed by another, scattering debris along the track.
    The 36-year-old Zanardi has no memory of the crash.
    "I was depressed at times after the accident, but I never stayed that way," he said. "I know that I don't have my legs, and that's what I have to live with. I have to deal with this situation and work really hard to improve my life quality."
    The two-time CART champion drove 10 laps Friday in preparation for Sunday, when he plans to "finish" that 2001 race by driving the 13 laps that he didn't get to complete.
    The highlight Friday in front of a few hundred fans was a best lap of 192 mph in a modified Mi-Jack Conquest Racing car.
    "The main feeling for me is an intense sense of pride because I know how hard it has been," Zanardi said. "It may look kind of easy, you see me smiling, cheery, waving to the fans. But it hasn't always been like that."
    In his new car, the clutch and throttle are controlled by hand. He brakes with his artificial right leg, which is fitted to a special pedal.
    "I've never been so nervous watching 10 practice laps," CART spokesman Erik Mauk said.
    Zanardi was ready to get back into a car after such a long layoff. Even though a return to the CART series is impossible, Zanardi is thinking about "entering a competition which is a little bit softer in terms of commitment."
    He even spoke to Mario Andretti about fulfilling a wish of driving in the 24-hour race at Daytona International Speedway.
    "His answer was, 'I am always up to a good challenge.' I'm sure I wouldn't have to convince him to go. It would be great to do something like this," Zanardi said.
    The publicity his recovery generates is being used to raise money for the charitable Alex Zanardi Foundation. He recently donated $85,000 to a French foundation for children's aid.

CART reportedly is paying him about $50,000 for this weekend, which he hopes will help boost his foundation's year-end balance to $200,000. He said it would go to another children's charity.
    Zanardi's upper body is much larger than it was before the crash, built up by gym workouts and the walking canes he uses to help him get around. He canoes regularly, skied last winter and walks on a treadmill.
    He hopes Sunday's exhibition before CART's German 500 will inspire others.
    "The accident is definitely behind me, and this is a little bit to prove this to the fans," Zanardi said. "It will be emotional, I expect that, but I will be excited to be back on this track.
    "Maybe this will give a boost to people who have problems. If they can see this guy without legs driving 200 mph, maybe they can get up and do for themselves and go down to the shop and buy a couple of apples."