1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The forgotten video game genre

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, May 19, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, I haven't bought a video game system since a Playstation in 1998, so I'm definitely not as interested in video games as I used to be. I do keep up with current trends, though,,,

I played Ikaruga on my friend's PS2 the other day. Needless to say, the game is mind blowing. Forget the flawless graphics and the killer soundtrack, but the overall design is exceptional and fast paced, The changing of polarities and the combos are a game within a game.

Which brings me to the real point of my post. What the hell happened to shooters? I'm not talking about "first person shooters", I'm talking about flying around in a ship, getting power ups, and blowing up sh*t type shooters that were side scrolling or top down.

There used to be tons of great shooters out there...The R-Type series, the Gradius series, Raiden, and Blazing Lazers (Turbo Grafx 16) come to mind...hell, I'll even fire up Galaga now and then if I see it somewhere. With the newer technology, though, video game companies have been forced to make their games more and more realistic, pushing the good old fashioned, 2D, relieve some stress shooters by the wayside...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep,

The Track and Field genre has also kind of gone away...though not for long if my company has any say in the matter.

DD

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With as powerful as today's game engines are, I imagine game makers are finding it difficult to create side-scrolling shooters that even come close to fully utilizing the potential of those machines. That's not really a good reason, but I imagine that is part of it.

4. A-Train

There was a track and field genre?? :D

J/K...I remember playing Track and Field on the old NES that was played with the Power Pad...man, that was a fun game. Of course, we used to cheat by putting the power pad in front of the couch and moving our feet a lot faster than we could have if we were standing, which pretty much defeated the purpose of having a power pad in the first place...

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

You know, another genre that has been totally forgotten is the side-scrolling beat 'em up. It used to be that those were practically all there was, now you can't even find one. I want my Streets of Rage, my Earthworm Jim, my Double Dragon, my Altered Beast, my Golden Axe...

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree A-Train. I used to love LifeForce for NES. It was contra in a spaceship. I must look for a ROM of that game when I ge thom etoday. Now that I have a new sidewinder, I can play (my old pad wore out and was stuck to the left).

7. A-Train

Final Fight! I used to kick some serious ass with Hagar...piledriver after piledriver...

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I remember the old coin-op Track and Field arcade game where you had the two buttons side by side that you had to press alternately in order to make your guy run faster. I remember the rat tail wearing freaks who used to get their combs and rig it so they could hit both of those buttons faster. Damn that long jump foul line and having to figure out a good angle to jump from.

Galaga still rules!!!

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

si, si.

sorry dada, but the only good track and field game was the one with the power pad.

atrain, how could you forget the longjumps? you were sposed to just jump normal, but screw that. Just jump off the pad for a while and jump back on before the jumper falls on his ass. :D

haven't played ikaruga, but i've heard good things about it.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

I heard the Dragon Pansy game on x-box is a shooter. But I could be wrong. I think they have a star wars shooter game too.

There are so few genre's that have yet to be touched, but no doubt, I think comedy is one of them. I think there is market that can be tapped.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

nevermind. You are talking side scrolling.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only good one?

What?

What about decathlon, or Track and field in the arcade?

Man....I can not wait until you see our spin on it....it is very GTA like.

DD

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

So what your saying is it will be Carl Lewis with a Shotgun? With mission like Michael Johnson has been accused of doping go to the meet and take him out with your 9mm.

14. A-Train

I'm thinking it's a game where you can pull pranks on the other competitors, kind of a "win at all costs" track game. For example, you tie a chain to somebody's legs at the beginning of the 100m dash, so when they take off, their leg gets ripped off. Maybe attach a remote control device to somebody's javelin, so you can control it and have it come back and impale them....

15. Band Geek Mobster

I imagine the "mini-games" in between the actual races will involve the players calculating how much vinegar they need to drink in order to pass their dope tests. And in order for this to be true "GTA" style, you must have plenty of prostitutes from the host countries finest bordellos...

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

haven't played any of them in the arcade, I was reffering to the ones made for consoles. Mostly just novelty button mashing sold around the time of the olympics or when a console first comes out.

if your company can come up with some fun innovation for it, then kudos to your co.

Atrain, I'm thinking its where you try to not get caught being too roided up. And you kill hookers for money.

edit: u suck BGM

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Get Mame and track down the Strikers 194X series.

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

If you have a Playstation, check out 'Einhander'. It's one of the best shooters I have ever played. Perfect difficulty level; hard but not unbeatable. Excellent replay value too, with 3 ships, secret areas and tons of hidden weapons. Plus, it has a killer techno soundtrack. Highly recommended and probably my favorite overall Playstation game (Ape Escape is a close second).

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Life Force killed mics. I still have my NES and games like Project Vice, Ninja Gaiden 2, and all those other side scrollers are a sweet relief from all the 1st person view crap.