1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Aussie invasion

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 27, 2016.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

2. jamesdelia

jamesdelia Member

looks like the rockets signed the wrong anderson.. he was awesome today! not bad for the old rockets player :p cool as that there is so many other australian rockets fans on here

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

David has come on in leaps and bounds since his "Rockets days". His D is still kinda suspect though.

To be clear, I wouldn't be trading Ryan for him!

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

And that they did!

It was 20 years ago the story line was the Boomers did NOT sign autographs, showing contempt against it because thats not "the Australia way" not backing down to anyone. Which added to the edginess to their showdowns. Whether they did or didnt after, doesnt look like theyre going back to that. The Spirit of Shane Heal lives on!

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

or me

loving the boomers movement of ball and players on offence, really hope they don't run into the wrong opponent in the quarters

still crushed bogut chose the fricken mavs over the rockets.... his attitude would perfect for this locker room and 15-20 per game of hard D and passing

6. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Yeah we really could've used him. Hated his 'cheapness' on gsw but love his 'toughness' and 'iq' on Australia national team.

7. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Anyone else notice he's been helping get our shooters open with his backing-back towards the 3pt line butt sticking out manoeuvre from GSW.

Hate it when you're going for the opposing team.

8. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Good start for the boomers against Lithuania

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Its great to see two English speaking countries become the next great rivals to American basketball in Canada & Australia.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

"Rivals"

Team USA has no rivals. It takes both sides winning to create a rivalry.

11. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Just hoping we dont come so far to lose in the semi. That would be disappointing given our performances to date. But just have a bad feeling.

12. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Me too, but I think it's because we've been here 4 times before and came up empty 4 times. I also don't like the fact the Opals won all 5 group games (including against Serbia) then lost to them in the Quarters. Storyline seems to neat.

Having said that, this team is different to any of those previous teams and I think the big-man rotation in combination with the backcourt will prove a lot for Serbia to handle. Just need to keep Teodosic under control.

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Disappointing game. But I think we can take heart from the overall performance knowing we have reinforcements to come.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Well Damn...

Maybe in 4 years time.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

world champs are even closer mate.

hope you and your family are doing well man.

IzakDavid13 likes this.
  16. Loz intransit

Loz intransit New Member

Great roundup of Aussie Talent. I'll actually be making a "Texas Triangle" roadtrip from Australia. I'm aiming to watch every Aussie in the NBA (8 players) which I can accomplish in 4 games to start the season.
    The 2 Houston games being against Philly (Nov14) and Detroit (Nov19). That ticks off Coach Brown and the injured Ben Simmons :( as well as Aron Baynes for the Pistons. As you know, the Rockets don't have any Aussie players at the moment.

In regards to the popularity of Basketball in Oz. Our local league takes a backseat to the NBA in a big way. Despite more $$$ being poured into the product and our success with Aussie talent in the NBA and our standing in International competition. The local league (NBL) is a laughing stock. I think its unfair, it comes down to education.
    Unlike in Soccer, different leagues around the world get respect beyond the Premier League. People love watching the sport and foster identity and community through a shared love of the game. In Australia, we haven't developed that sense of hometown pride for our local basketball teams (I',m speaking for Sydney where I'm from mostly). There's little awe in our local pro-players, some people probably think they could upstage them if they played them. I love basketball, i just want to watch it. I've seen leagues and tourneys around the World. I know for a fact our league stacks up well, of course its not the NBA but its still quality.

shastarocket and DrNuegebauer like this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

should be a great trip

18. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

The Bullets are back, and with a good team. Will definitely take my son to watch a couple of games this year.

kingkingston likes this.
  19. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

We have been lucky here in Perth, one of the few states who has that real passion for their home team. Helps when they are successful though but consistently getting 11000+ to each game is a major bonus compared to the other states.

The influx in quality Aussie talent can only be a good thing for the game in Australia. I have mates who have only ever had a fleeting interest in the sport really taking a strong interest in the NBA this year.

IzakDavid13 likes this.
  20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Perth's always been like that. I remember the 80/90's when Perth were really strong. James Crawford was always my favorite when I was a kid.
    Melbourne is much like Perth in that respect now. A lot of people following Melb United with packed stadiums (not sure of attendance though) and a really good grass roots game. The league's really revamped in the past 2 years.
    The association my kids play in is the largest in Australia with over 1000 teams. So the popularity is there at a grass roots.
    But the problem in Australia has always been the transition from a kids game to more senior levels, involvement and following with basketball (as you'd know) probably ranking 5th as a sport behind footy, rugby, cricket and soccer. Then there's the lack of money.