1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Week 3

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 23, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just putting some perspective on your desperation... there's really only a few fan bases out there that have been blessed with extremely consistent success since 2002.

The Texans aren't even close to being at the top of the most tortured/dissapointing franchise list (hell, I would say they've got to be around for another 10 years just to qualify).

2. Apps

Apps Member

I think time is a relative thing when your team was literally expanded into the league in 2001/2. Especially when you expand into a football-crazy market. Especially when you quickly become one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world.

I appreciate the "perspective", but that perspective could very easily argue against everything you have insinuated thus far, especially when you consider that this financially successful franchise hasn't been able to string together more than two competitive seasons in its entire decade+ existence.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? How is time relative? They came into the league in 2002-2003... thus everything needs to be judged since then (including comparison to other teams and what their fan bases have had to "suffer" through). I won't even go into the fact that they were still basically considered an expansion franchise (in terms of overall talent) going into 2007.

How does the franchise value play a role in absolutely anything? Unless you honestly think they're not spending money on the product on the field.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hilarious to listen to Jon Gruden gush over Aaron Rodgers... he passed on him (as most QB gurus seem to feel they can win with anybody) to pick a RB in that draft.

5. Apps

Apps Member

[​IMG]

Hey, I get that they had a long time going into any sense of decency. But if you think the Carr years were entirely contingent on Carr himself, then I think that you may be a biased Texans fan. Most NFL fans realize that the Texans were utterly incapable of putting a capable team around the guy, and by the time they did he was psychologically annihilated.

Just take a look at the other franchises listed along the Texans. Houston is the only team that has that kind of value while having accomplished nothing. What that means is that Houstonians are figuratively starved for winning football, and instead they have received starving football.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree... it was based on wasted extra picks that they get in the expansion draft, it was based on repeating the exact same mistakes Cleveland made just 3 years prior in the expansion draft (picking the big name QB to excite the fan base, but not getting anything around him)... and it was based on hiring a head coach who wasn't really cut out for the job.

Again, not sure what the franchise value has to do with it... other than the fact that the Texans play in a cash-cow stadium that they didn't have to pony up money for (but they get all the profits), they have a lucrative local radio/tv deal, and they've sold their brand across this city very well... enough to make it the most popular team, regardless of their wins/losses.

I'm more looking at what the majority of other franchises are doing ... the Texans are right there with them currently in terms of trying to build a consistent winner (minus the extra 40-50 years of history).

7. Apps

Apps Member

I can't help but feel that you have perverted this discussion into another matter entirely. The Packers are better than the Texans, have been thus for several years longer. All I originally said is that I wish I could root for a team that would persist that level of competence.

You need to unclench that ass****.

8. conquistador#11

i doubt you would be saying this from 1973-1995 that's a lot of mediocrity more than the texans existence.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But but.... Time is relative... and the Texans are more valuable... so there! ;)

10. Apps

Apps Member

Doubt you pals would be saying this from 1946 to 1979!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's really not what you said... but again, like I said earlier... what's the point if you're going to simply forget what it was like to root for a team with competence just 4-5 years later?

Or were you one of those prognosticators who felt even in 2011, with sacks galore... and a triple threat on offense... that this team was using smoke and mirrors?

Hell, the Rockets last won a championship just 20 years ago... should we go out there and say how we wish they could be like the other teams in Texas?

12. Apps

Apps Member

Actually it's what I clarified what I meant from the second post I made. If you want to pretend that your argument has meant something from the beginning then the onus of proof is on you.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, that's called backtracking...

14. Apps

Apps Member

Nope. That's called ignoring the essence of an argument in order to make yourself look right.

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Bears are trading away defensive players, going full tank mode. #1 Pick might go to the Bears. Who knows?

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Bears trying for 0-16 while the Cubbies make the playoffs , things looking bright for Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good. Tear it all down. Phil Emery & Marc Trestman did an awful job. Now Trestman is doing his best to take down the Ravens.

They're stuck with Cutler. Toxic QB that nobody wants.
    Forte is a free agent after the season - they absolutely should shop.
    Bennett, shop him.