1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jobs] IBM Possibly Prepping For the Largest Ever Corporate Layoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

According to Robert X. Cringley, IBM will likely layoff 118,000 people, which would be larger than the previous record of 60,000 - also held by IBM.:eek:

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wow. I know a lot of IBM'ers in Austin. I hope they avoid the cut...but it's going to be tough when 1/4 is going.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It seems like IBM does these layoffs all the time.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ouch, that's crazy.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't see it happening at this scale. I see a big layoff, but not at that scale. They already laid off 10's of thousand in India but that was after growing to over 100K in less than 10 years.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"Fortunately" it's a global company, so the pain will hopefully be somewhat evenly distributed. Beyond their IT consulting, IBM does a lot of corporate services stuff for energy companies like basic accounting and billing, I wonder how much of this is tied to that along with some kind of long-term large scale industry correction. I guess I'd naively hope this much loose talent spawns some new startups; but more likely it will just create a viable case study for other companies looking to emulate it. Gettin' rough.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i laugh eevrytime I read about these hardware companies talk about stuff other than their core business. it's like they always forget that no matter how fancy and advanced things get, YOU STILL NEED A FRIGGING MACHINE of some sort in order to do the work. Think Apple is where it's at because they decided hardware is not worth anything?

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

In before the "I don't work at IBM so LOL @ all those jobless assholes" train leaves the station.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Maybe I'm just a bad person, but I can't help but feel a bit smug when I see reports of thousands of layoffs at IBM.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I work with IBM on a daily basis, and the part of that company I have experience with is a total trainwreck and definitely needs a re-org.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I see a lot of fluff from IBM around their Watson for healthcare. I have yet to see something there that actually works and provides practical benefits.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

IBM's culture is pretty much bankrupt. My wife has an aunt who was laid off there after 15 years or so. Lots of old IBMers have been around for 15-20 years, hanging on through connections to middle managers and legacy projects for products that refuse to die. IBM pays so well that none of these people can afford to leave, but it works them like dogs and has been slowly trimming the heard with rolling layoffs for over a decade.

Tech is great, until you start getting gray hair and lose your six-figure job and can't get on anywhere else for half your former salary. Scary stuff.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Hey breh. Don't be a bitter babby. Just because you applied to work at IBM over ten times despite having various "skills" doesn't make you qualified for the job.

14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Thanks Obama.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

16. HoustonCH73

HoustonCH73 Member

I went through it with Compaq and then HP. I managed to survive it all until I left by my own choice. Problem I saw was a lot of GOOD people let go and a lot of idiots protected by long time friends in higher positions. On more than once occasion, the decision of who to let go was made by friendship loyalty instead of the better employee.

Hate to see anyone go through this.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Problem is, business runs on nepotism, especially in the South. You can't get away from it, and it can benefit you. It's all part of the game.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disclaimer, I work for Big Blue.
    Not to that scale, that is what would have been newsworthy. It looks like they are pushing back on the number cited in the initial report.
    Not sure why people losing their jobs (at IBM or elsewhere) is a reason to be smug, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but unfortunately, it isn't atypical (to IBM or other companies). To compete with other vendors for service contracts, they have to include more off-shore or near-shore resources, and that ultimately ends up impacting the project from a skills and delivery perspective. It is a vicious cycle, and in the end, it is the client and the client team that ends up suffering the most.
    Healthcare is one area where there is a pretty good story, and I hope that continues as it is a vertical where society could benefit greatly with lowering of costs and improvement in the quality of care delivered for better outcomes.

Again, this will come off as biased since I work for IBM, but the problems that exist at a micro level at IBM exist in some form or another elsewhere on a macro level. It doesn't justify the failure to deliver a project on-time and on-budget, but I think these issues are not IBM-specific in nature. Not sure where it will all end up, but a lot of IBMers are caught in this struggle of serving our clients while dealing with the internal changes and how they impact the day-to-day aspects of our job. I wonder how it is at other places - would love to get some feedback on if this is just an IBM issue.

1 person likes this.
  19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I'm not. Just making fun of someone who made a similar comment about O&G people losing their jobs.

20. HoustonCH73

HoustonCH73 Member

What you're seeing at IBM is the same thing that happens (is happening) at HP and Dell. I am a 12yr veteran of compaq/hp and have (and had) several friends who worked for Dell, IBM( (& now for Lenovo). From talking with them over the years, we all determined that they are all the same, just different shades of blue. That's one reason I left HP for a company that is different. I could have left for Dell in Austin at any time, as many of my friends did and later found out they were experiencing the same aggravations and problems that plague HP.