1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren: "I'm not running for president in 2016"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...en-im-not-running-for-president-in-2016?lite=

Warren: 'I'm not running for president' in 2016

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) said Wednesday that she will not run for president in 2016.

"I'm not running for president, and I plan to serve out my term," she said at a press conference in Boston.

The senator’s office confirmed her statements with NBC’s First Read.

Democrats have highlighted Warren as a viable and more-liberal alternative to Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic nomination.

The former head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau won her election for Massachusetts’ senator in 2012. She said she will continue serving in her role as senator through 2018.

“I pledge to serve out my term,” Warren said.

2. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

If the democrats must run a woman I would rather warren

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make nominating a woman sound like a chore. Among potential Democratic candidates, who is more qualified than Hillary Clinton?

4. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Everyone knows that Obama is going to pull some stuff to get a 3rd term.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I can see that she has an important role to play in the Senate and she can't do that with the distraction of a candidacy. Good call, get those dirty banker ma'am.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Let's hope she changes her mind. H Clinton is to the right of Obama and represents a step backwards,

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wouldn't be the first time a politician didn't hold up that promise.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Maybe God will speak to her.

9. Major

Major Member

She has zero chance of winning the Presidency. As much as the left likes her, her views are simply not mainstream. It would be like nominating a non-kooky version of Dennis Kucinich. And she lacks the political charisma needed to win a national race.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whoop dee doo!

Her "candidacy" was purely a media creation. Political writers need things to write about and they have to create stuff out of thin air sometimes.

I would also suggest we not prejudge how Hillary will position herself in 2016. Way too early to tell. The fact she ran to the right of Obama in 2008 doesn't mean anything.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Also, the amount of money that would inevitably flow into her opponent's coffers would be unbelievable.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

True, but we won't have much change till someone like Warren wins. Hillary will be more of the Obama/ Bill cautious centrism somewhat liberal with a lot of sucking up to Wall Street and a deathly fear of being considered soft on war by the neo-cons..

However, with electorate hurting and starting move against the whole low wage, enormous tax breaks for the "job creators" meme which did not lead to any "trickle down", Hillary might move a bit in the progressive direction.

13. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

What makes Hilary qualified for anything on this level. Being bill's husband?

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Uh, being a Senator and Secretary of State maybe?

15. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Im not arguing this. Its ridiculous. Her whole career is based on her husband. Sec of state? You think they won't let benghazi go now?

16. CometsWin

Ronald Reagan's career was based on acting. And? What's different?

17. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone the way people just want to hand her the nomination

18. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

The eighties called

19. CometsWin

What does that have to do with anything? We can elect an actor but not a Secretary of State? Okay.

20. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Reagan was a governor. Why don't you just pick any random president. Carter was a peanut farmer. She didn't deserve that coronation either