1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Interview with future Rocket GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 22, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Numbers game begins in Houston
    http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1315/numbers_game_begins_in_houston
    This article is about the "Moneyball" aspect of Daryl's hiring... it includes quotes from my exchanges with Morey, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and an NBA analyst who asked to remain anonymous.

10 Questions with Daryl Morey
    http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1316/10_questions_with_daryl_morey
    I really enjoyed the answers from Daryl ... my impression of him was very high. I'm very excited to see what he can bring to the team moving forward.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Fire Morey!!!

Few reasons:

1. Based on everything I read about him, Morey doesn't sound like a good GM. He sounds like a guy who should be hired by a good GM. A good leader is a people person, not a technology person. He uses people who know technology, but not necessarily technology itself.

2. He came from the Celtics. Their GM, Danny Ainge, is a great talent evaluater. He has a track record of drafting good young players. However, they have not been able to put a winning team in the recent history. If Morey is from the Pistons of the Spurs, I would be more happy. But he's from a team who hasn't advanced to the second round of the playoffs for a while.

3. Money ball has not been proven successful in the NBA. As far as I know, the only team that employs that philosophy is the Seattle Sonics. However, their poor performance since trading away Gary Payton for Ray Allen, excluding last year, hasn't inspired any confidence in me about Money Ball.

4. If you read the book "Good to Great", you'd know how dangerous it is for an organization to bring in some outside guru who supposely possesses some cutting edge philosophy or technology and try to revamp the organization. I always prefer to promote and develop leaders within, not from outside. Because the people within would usually understand the organization, the culture, the location and people better than someone from the outside.

#2 DeAleck, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm excited about Morey. A statistical approach to things has been proven effective by teams that use this method.

4. Panda

Panda Member

Glad to know that Morey knows the limitations of numbers.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Uh oh.

Now if we don't get the #1 pick, we already have something to b**** at him about :D

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

this is a brave move by Alexander, but I like it. I think keeping CD for one more season and signing Lindsey will guarantee that the rockets combine coaching with numbers, rather than rely just on latter. Plus Morey seems to be a very bright guy. That can't hurt.

7. Diaw

Diaw Member

lol :D
    i have a good feeling about this guy
    thanks clutch :)

8. arjun

arjun Member

boy do i hate cuban...boy do i wish we wud have won game 7

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

CD's not doing such a great job. Give this guy a chance.

10. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

ewing contributed! wow, must be the first time... :D

11. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Fire Morey!

He didn't smile during Clutch's interview. He seems like a great stats guy. But this team needs someone other than that to run the ship. A talent evaluator who can determine the needs of the Rocks and build them into CHAMPIONS! He wasn't positive at all about ANYTHING. Way too young. And his is a Northerner!

Jerry West for GM? Thanks alot Le$!

12. RocketsFAN3035

Nice job with the interview Clutch. I enjoyed hearing from our future GM. Hopefully this new style he is bringing in will be successful. I'm not willing to commit one way or the other yet, since this hasn't really been done in the NBA yet. It has been successful in other sports, so I don't know why it couldn't work in the NBA. Time will tell.

Why don't we send Clutch to NJ on Tuesday? Wouldn't he be a good luck charm? Or Jeff even? Someone here ought to do it!

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fire yourself from posting.

14. roswell raygun

"After an initial prototype I brought from MIT, Patrick Ewing contributed to the final product and we have briefed Carroll so he is ready Tuesday."

Patrick Ewing contributed? Does this mean the lottery is rigged just like Ewing to the Knicks in 1985? Are the Rockets a shoo-in for the #1 pick?

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think it was a joke dude.

Regarding Morey, one of my friends is getting his MBA from MIT and has nothing but great things to say about this guy.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

come on now! i dont agree with him, but it was a good, well thought out and written post.

the interview actually makes me feel alot better about the guy. seems pretty funny too.

17. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

But seriously....

As always, I am open to any changes that would/could/will make us better. I won't be asking to fire the guy after one year like...some people will. We have to give this guy a chance. Maybe this will be the new way of the NBA. He is young and obviously extremely talented. We can't go on his track record so we have to wait and see.

Nobody is born a winner...well, except me. :)
    (Thats what my kids think.)

18. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Very intelligent and mature response. Thanks.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dude, am I the ONLY one who thinks that Clutch getting responses and interviews with Morey, Cuban, et al is freaking awesome???!!!

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fine, have it your way:

Highly superficial, talking out your buttocks, this point isn't well taken because you're basically trotting out a bunch of cliches, which has been done before, months ago, by such luminaries as Richard Justice.

Danny Ainge is a great talent evaluator? From 2003-05, draft wise, the celtics have come home with Marcus Banks, Al Jeffereson, Gerald Green, the grades on whom are either "adequate" in the case of Banks or "incomplete" in the case of the two others. No real busts, but no smashing successes either. I can't think of too many big trade or free agent moves - I guess getting Antoine Walker again? or Payton?

So where do you get "Danny Ainge is a great talent evaluator" :confused:

(PS, if I recall correctly, Danny Ainge thought that Yao Ming was overrated and shouldn't have been the number 1 pick -- so you really might want to re-think this assumption, kiddo.)

Second, Morey's limited personnel role with the celtics has been over the course of the last 3 years, where his analysis (which he has stated doesn't apply when dealing with high schoolers) hasn't been much of a factor in drafting Green and Jefferson, the primary personnel moves of that time, and even if it was it would likely take a few years for us to see it anyway

So I don't really see what you're getting at here. if the Celtics are, as you put it, drafting good young players and not winning - that points to a coaching problem anyway, even if it was true. (To the extent that he was involved in it, the fact that you're holding "drafting good young players" against him doesn't do you any favors either)

First off, the Sonics head man is Wally Walker, their longtime GM/President - and their GM is Rick Sund. Their AGM is Rich Cho, who is the stats man. In fact the Sonics apply the hybrid approach you endorse in your first point

Anyway, simply because the Sonics didn't do well last season (and last time I checked the Sonics managed to put together a pretty good season in 2004 and surprised a lot of people by overachieveing with a bunch of players who, on paper, didn't seem that impressive) you're ready to write it off? Well then I guess since non-money ball didn't work in Houston this season I can write that off too, right?

Finally - MANY teams ALREADY use PER, /48 minute stats, and +/- numbers that are the heart of the approach including many teams still playing right now, such as Dallas, e.g.

So for you to say "IT HAS FAILED IN SEATTLE, ERGO IT MUST BE BANISHED" is both misleading and wrong, insofar as you don't really have a good definition of "IT"

I haven't read the book. But this isn't IBM, it's the Rockets. Quite honestly, you can be the biggest idiot GM in the league and if you get the number one draft pick in the right year, you look like a genius. Look at Elgin Baylor. Do you think the Clips are playing tonight because, after his 25 year plan, the Clips have installed a winning culture crafted in his image?

Ultimately in the NBA you go as far as your stars will carry you. It's not the same in other businesses. You could have Bill Gates as CEO but if you have a team of Ryan Bowen's you're f-ckd, same with the reverse.

#20 SamFisher, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006