1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morris at #23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BadD369, Jun 14, 2001.

1. BadD369

BadD369 Member

Terence Morris should definitely be our pick at #23 if he is still around. While he is a weak franchise player and team l;eader, he can come up big with less pressure playing as a role player. This can be shown from when he was at Maryland. With Francis as teh star, Morris put up great numbers and looked like a breakout player. But after Francis left, as the team leader and top player, Morris struggled. Reinited with Francis, you can expect big things from the former Terp (who by the way has 4 years of experience playing in college).

------------------
    Visit www.StockSurge.net for your guide for investing and the Stock Market!

2. haven

haven Member

Bad: Dude, he's not even certain to be picked in the 2nd round. Even if the Rockets want the guy, they'd be idiots to pick him in the 1st. Don't overpay.

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Yeah 23 is a reach for him. He will be there in the mid-second round and possibly not drafted at all.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guarantee you Morris would thrive on this team and will not be available in the 2nd round like most of these lame mock drafts suggest. He's not a leader, but on this team, he won't have to be.

------------------

5. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I'll go out on a limb and say that Morris will stick in the first round...can you think of a better option at the 3 for San Antonio? There's not one out there.

------------------
    Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock...

6. haven

haven Member

He's still a bad pick in the first round, even if someone else takes a flier out on him. With his size and doubtful commitment... I wouldn't give him more than a 30% chance of sticking.

------------------

7. Summer Song Giver

Man, I definatly didn't want him on the Rockets but he is fast becoming the under dog for which I am drawn to and love to root for; I mean c'mon 30% chance of sticking. Poor guy!

------------------

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Cato and the Rockets 18th pick for B. Miller and the Bulls 2nd round pick. Use that pick for T. Morris.

------------------

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I like Morris, although given the opportunity to use the #23 (or even the #18) on Ken Johnson, I'd do it. I think Johnson brings more of what this team needs than Morris (unless he becomes a top-10 3PT shooter). I wish Morris well, and if we had a 2nd-rounder or enough roster space, I'd take him.

This should go in the Draft forum, by the way. [​IMG]

------------------
    "All you need is love."

10. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

T.Morris' size is his best selling point.

I've stated elsewhere my opinions about him, which I will not repeat, but I think he goes in the first round, and that he plays in Houston.

I like him. I don't rely upon the handful of mock drafts out there, who all constantly seek to reach consensus. Those guys don't know the talent any better than we do.

After the top 6 or 7 players, it is crap shoot, anyway. When in doubt, go with the body, and Morris has that for a running, defending small forward.

No one thought Kenny Thomas would go at 23, either, and I remember all the wailing that went down when we picked him. Remember?

All the media types repeating ad nauseum the same ill conceived opinions..."he's fat; he's lazy; questionable work ethic; blah, blah, blah."

I liked Kenny at 23 and I like Morris at 23. KT has proven to be the player I expected him to be (a Clarence Witherspoon bench type), and I expect Morris to prove to be another underrated diamond in the rough.

Kind of reminds me of another guy who had poor ratings coming in....Snottie Pippen.

------------------

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My take on the whole Terence Morris thing is that he helps make the Rockets stronger at a position of weakness. The one thing that I would like to see the Rockets gain this off-season is the ability to match up in size with the rest of the Western Conference "Small" forwards. Play-off teams starting Small Forwards:
    Ferry (6'10")
    Fox (6'7")
    Stojakovic (6'9")
    Marshall (6'11")
    Nowitski (7'1")
    Marion (6'7")
    Pippen (6'7")
    Garnett (7'1")
    Non-Playoff teams starting SF:
    SAR (6'11")
    Lewis (6'11")
    Odom (6'11")
    as well as others... the point is, Shandon Anderson has a hard time matching up with these type players. It's sad to think he's our best defensive option. He's been dubbed one of the better defenders in the NBA, but he earned that reputation guarding two guards not small forwards. Morris had his best two years at Maryland when Steve was there. Steve played the two guard in college and was joined in the backcourt by another explosive scorer in Laron Profit. Sounds like the H-town backcourt of Francis and Mobley. The fact is, even with the zone defenses, the backcourt was able to set-up Morris and make him look real good. Morris may not be a dominant go-to player, but no one would ask him to do that here. He'd have to play good on the ball D, provide some weak-side shot blocking and pick up 6-10 rebounds a night. I've only read good things about this guy in his ability to do just that. Ok, maybe he is a gamble at 23, but it might pay off big time. If we don't take him at 23, I'd love to trade for a second round pick and get him there. It'll save us some money, and get us a solid pro.

------------------

12. DJ

DJ Member

After the 23rd pick, we should wait to see how far Terrence Morris is drafted. If he gets picked at the 41st pick, then we could trade the 23rd pick for two future second round draft picks or one future first round draft pick for the 41st pick. If Morris is still not picked at the second to last pick, we should hurry and try to make a trade to get the last pick of the draft to get him. This is even better than signing him as a free agent if he does not get drafted.

------------------

13. knifejc

knifejc Member

For some strange reason Morris reminds me of Buck Johnson (remember him) and to some extent Robert Horry (not ment as a compliment). I think he'll be a player that'll have that drive or determination to really make it in this league. But i think if he's put in the right situation he could become a valuable asset at the 3 for the Rockets. But for some reason I get that feeling sinking feeling when i think of Morris in a rockets uniform

And to all the Horry fans out there, I love Horry but he dissappointed alot of fans like me with his seemingly unmotivated play and un-used talent and potential

------------------

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I think we won't have the pick. So I guess we will not be drafting him. We will be moving up in the draft because we have a deal in place or we are very close to having a deal in place. That pick will be either Johnson, Gasol, White, Battier or the Radman. If that is the case then we will not have anymore room for another small forward.

This is an educated guess, a hypothesis. Nevermind, this is just a guess.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

15. haven

haven Member

It's a mistake to assume that because someone doesn't like Terrance Morris, their only basis for it is a mock draft.

I don't like the guy because of his lack of improvement in college. A couple years ago, he was considered a future top 5 pick. Now? Lucky to make it in the 1st round. This speaks very poorly of his work ethic and his overall potential, much like Chris Porter a year ago.

He's got size, and he's somewhat athletic... but his jump shot isn't good enough for his position, and his raw athleticism and defensive abilities aren't enough to compensate.

Yeah... he went to Maryland and played well there. But being a good college player doesn't always translate to the NBA. THink about this: you like his size... in my mind, that's the reason he was good in college. In a land of shorter guys, he was large. That won't be true in the NBA. I think he's a lot like fizer: managed to translate minor advantages in athleticism to a good collegiate career. But it won't translate to the NBA.

Ask yourself this: how much of your desire to draft him is derived from the fact that he ans Francis played together? I really don't think clutchcity.net would be so infatuated with him if he hadn't. Nobody else is, after all [​IMG].

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 17, 2001).]

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

haven-Chris Porter dropped because everyone thought he was about 6'9'' and could probably be a SF/PF combo, then that dropped to 6'7'', then that dropped to 6'4''.

Morris can not create his own shot.
    I thought I'd get that out in the open. That is a large reason he did not score much. He relies on kick outs and set ups and fast breaks. He often was shut out because of Juan "I want to be Allen Iverson" Dixon.

Morris has a good shot, and very good mechanics. The inconsistency of oppurtunities hurt him. His defensive abilities improved each year. He got more blocks than DPOTY Battier.

He played almost exclusively on the perimeter, and was involved in the offense like Shandon often was this year. Sitting on the perimeter.

Anyhow, I think we'll trade 18 away with or without #13 attached, and draft K. Johnson at 23. So don't worry about Morris.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi