1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I finished it. It was not as good as RPO but I enjoyed it. The first part of the book seemed like he was trying to hard to push some of the pop culture stuff. Once he got more into the actual plot of the book it got much better. I enjoyed the pop culture stuff in RPO but none of it seemed really forced. In the first part of Armada, he used a lot of the pop culture refs as one liners and it was like he was hammering you over the head with them. Once that toned down the book was enjoyable.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even though you may not think so, that is a spoiler.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm been on a Preston and Child thriller binge. Started with Relic and am now reading Dance of Death, several novels later. The main character is Special Agent Pendergast of the FBI, who is an eccentric loner that's very wealthy, from an old New Orleans family (although most of the novels have taken place in New York), who is unlike any FBI agent imaginable. These are quick reads (at least for me) and edge of the seat stuff, very hard to put down. Excellent "summer reads."

Start with Relic and check online for the order of the Pendergast novels. Much better to read them in order, in my humble opinion (and the author's).

#363 Deckard, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. bobrek

My wife and I enjoy the Pendergrast books.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My significant other got into them and said I should give them a try. Glad I did! :)-

It's great to have a partner who loves to read. We don't share a love for all genres. I'm a much bigger fan of SciFi and fantasy than she is, for example, but we both dig mysteries and thrillers.

#365 Deckard, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. bobrek

For the most part we like the same stuff although she has much more patience with Neal Stephenson, Outlander and Wheel of Time than I do.

7. mclawson

mclawson Member

In what way? The ending leaving room for a sequel? That's true of damned near every book, no? I was simply expressing my hope that he would write one.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ex-Heroes series (4 or 5 books), by Peter Cline. It's a Superhero/zombie mashup. As you can probably gather, it's not exactly deep, but it's kinda fun in a guilty pleasure way.

Just finished The Atrocity Archives series by Charles Stross. Computer geek meets James Bond meets HP Hovercraft. Very British in its writing and humor. Again, not deep, but amusing at times and it's a novel concept, at least.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I just finished reading the entire Pendergast series. I had read odd ones before. There were good books so I decided to read the entire series on my kindle.

Before Pendergast series, I re-read the Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles and Lee Child's Reacher series.

The last book I read was Make Me (Reacher). It was not as engaging as the others fwiw. It is like the series may be changing course going forward.

This might be the first Reacher novel that will have a direct sequel. His hookup should be back to the next go round. Reacher having a steady GF might be a watershed moment for the series and might lead to a less transient lifestyle, at least for the next book. We will see.

Child has been aging Reacher as the series has gone on. Reacher is now about 55 years old and 20 years removed from the Army. One has to wonder if Lee Child will have Reacher remaining a transient and kicking ass into retirement.

Next up, I plan on reading all of Carl Hiaasen's novels in order.

10. bobrek

I just saw this reply. Sorry I did not respond sooner.

you essentially told everyone that he is alive at the end of the book, thus it's a spoiler

11. malakas

malakas Member

I am reading Malazan book of the fallen- Gardens of the Moon.
    It is horrible. Extremely difficult to follow. I read it also in English and I don't know if that's the reason but I find it very hard to understand wtf is going on.
    It seems to have a majestic world built tho.
    I mean I had less trouble following Faulkner's timelines than this.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

heard the divergent series is good...can anyone confirm/deny?

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I also found it tough to follow. I made it through the first four books of the series before I gave up on it.

There were some cool characters but everything was presented in such a vague manner that it was tough to figure out what was going on.

1 person likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can confirm that the Divergent movie will rot your mind.

15. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I read the first one. Not bad - very similar to Hunger Games. It's an easy read, however a bit corny.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I just finished up The Fold by Clines and found it to be a solid enough that I'm about to start 14 and have already read the synopsis for Ex-Heroes and figured that might be my next series.

17. axstar713

axstar713 Member

I just finished A Memory Of Light, the final book in Jordan's Wheel of Time saga. Only a few chapters short of finishing Keith Richard's autobiography and not sure what I'm going to start after I finish this.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah I really want to read it because it's supposed one of the best fantasy series but I don't think I can take it.

did you like it? I personally didn't like how the new author did Mat's character but I guess that's the best we could have since he didn't manage to finish in time.
    You won't find another series like that tho. It's one of a kind.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I am Pilgrim

Anyone else read this book?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

just finished All Quiet On The Western Front. interesting book. probably would have liked it better but it was school which leaves a bad taste in my mouth when i'm forced to read a book :eek: