1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would love for the Rockets to sign Biyombo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Levi, May 21, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Problem is the only plausible way to get a good big in return is to sign and trade Dwight under his terms. Not sure Dwight wants to go to Toronto.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

As opposed to having a Dwight and DMO front court?

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

One good series and you want to pick him up? I swear the Harden trade spoiled everyone.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

There are several including myself that have liked Biyombo all season. It's not just one good series. Every time he's been given starter minutes, he does really well. Why do you think he's doing so well with Jonas being out and Biyombo actually playing starter minutes? Sure enough, he's basically been the main key to the Raptors getting the series tie.
    He's also increased his ft% every year. Ben Wallace was nearly identical to Biyombo pre Pistons. It wasn't until he signed with DET as the starter that he blew up. Biyombo could see the same level of production minus steals given consistent starter minutes. He's not really undersized as people think. He's 6'9.5 in shoes, but with an incredible 7' 6.16" wingspan. He's got a very similar build to Ben Wallace who listed at 6'9 was always shorter than 6'8 players. He's really more like 6'7. But the body build and strength and length is what draws similarities for me. He's also only 23 years old and keeps improving every year. He is just a great fit next to Harden. Harden needs teammates who do the dirty work.

You think people are spoiled by Harden turning into a superstar, but i think more are spoiled by luring Dwight in thinking we can just go ahead and pick up more superstars. Some times you need to take chances on players with upside and hope they pan out and become at minimum near all star level.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The thing is, Ben Wallace would not have a place in the NBA today. He's be a rotation player, but not the Ben Wallace we knew.

We need to get the future not the past.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

How so? You telling me a 4X DPOTY would not fit in today's NBA? You act like every single player in the NBA today is an offensive star. There are tons of scrubs on every team in the league. It's not as deep as people make it out to be. Dleague level talent everywhere. Let's pretend his defensive impact wouldn't be absolutely elite still, and pretend offense is all that matters anymore. What he lacks in scoring, he makes up in OREB, picks, catching oops. Seems like a lot of bigs in todays NBA can only do that too with not even half the defensive ability.

7. malakas

malakas Member

I looked into Toronto's cap situation and there's virtually no way for them to resign Biyombo unless they decide to trade Valanciunas+ Ross or trade 5 rotational players for nothing back.
    Biyombo so far has only made peanuts so there's zero chance he agrees to take the MLE.
    The only realistic way is if Derozan signs with another team and leaves, before Biyombo signs. But on the other hand Biz also has no incentive to wait around till DD makes his choice. Toronto can't even promise him to be a starter.

Long story short, If he gets one offer more than 13per he's a goner.

Nope. Biyombo is UFA. He can go sign wherever he wants.

8. rockets13champs

Bench players acting like starters i hate it- drake

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

There's a few guys I would over pay for in this league but I'm not sure Biyombo would be one of them.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You question his consistency as you should. The thing about Biyombo is he's got more length than any traditional super sized big out there but has the agility to cover ground like none of them could. And Biyombo has the mass and strength to play either way.

11. Harden's beard

Capela is our Biyombo, he's just getting his minutes stolen by someone else on this team

12. malakas

malakas Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="el"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing same range. League clearly views him now as a legit starting center, will get paid as such. <a href="https://t.co/LtfNkEBPKX">https://t.co/LtfNkEBPKX</a></p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/735623174298042368">26 Μαΐου 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With this price at 17 per, it's virtually impossible for Toronto to resign him.
    I think he will be a nice target for us.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He lied about his age, he is older than Mutombo

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It needs to be part of a larger plan to upgrade the roster - particularly, at the PF or PG spots. Because if we essentially just swap Biyombo for Dwight and call it a day, we're no better. In fact, even a declining Dwight is still a way better basketball player, so we're actually worse off.

But if we're somehow able to acquire another star and the idea is to bring Biyombo in to play junkyard dawg, I'm fine with that. Otherwise? It's probably not worth it, IMO.

15. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'm not in favor of signing Bismack, but I think you have to look beyond replacing Dwight's stats. The chemistry issue was the true killer of the season. Biyombo plays defense, rebounds and gets easy situationalbuckets. So does Dwight. However, Dwight demands the ball in the post. We wasted plays trying to feed him. When we don't feed him, he mopes and plays unmotivated, lazy defense for several possessions. Biyombo won't demand the ball because he understands his role.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The point I'm making is more about the quality of player. I have nothing against Biyombo, but at the end of the day we're talking about a career 5-6 guy with terrible hands and no offensive upside whatsoever. Numbers that aren't terribly better than Joey Dorsey's career numbers, for instance. Whereas Dwight is a former top 5 player, perennial All-Star, etc.

Like I said: he needs to be a piece to the 'offseason' puzzle; not the ENTIRE puzzle. If we do the latter (swap Biz for Dwight), I think we're actually worse off. Even when you factor in the aforementioned Dwight drama.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Biyombo at 17 per would be horrible for us. I wouldn't touch that dude with a 10 foot pole at anything over 10 per.

Howard is worth double whatever Biyombo gets IMO, I'd rather give Howard 30 mill then give Biyombo 17... I mean hell, Whiteside at 22 mill max will look like a BARGAIN.

I think at most Biyombo gets like 14 mill per and whoever pays that will be let down, if Biyombo is getting paid that, give me Howard or Whiteside at 22-24 mill per all day.

I think a good low key target could be Mahimmi, I'd take him for 10 or under as well.

18. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i cant believe some of the stuff i am hearing on Bismack. It is like the Linsanity pheomonom. At this time Whiteside is probably a more sure thing because he did it for the whole season. Bismack is good but how are you going to say he is a starting Center because of his play off games. It will be interesting to see what team takes him - it wont be the raptors because they have Val - unless they move him to PF... which i think he can play. It will be a log Jam.

not to mention - the age issue. He is believed to be 27 not 23.

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Flavor of the week Bismack Biyambo
    [​IMG]

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

clint will be better IMO