1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible for the rockets to get the 14th and 15th pick in this years draft??

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sanity2disChaos, Apr 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sanity2disChaos

As we all know the season is over and its time to look forward to the upcoming draft. I was looking at our picks and projected players we might draft and ran across a interesting scenerio.......If its even possible, could we attain both the 14th and 15th pick in this years draft?? This would ofcourse include our pick and the one we got from PHX for the Brooks/Dragic trade. I think this is a good possibility and if it happens would allow us to be alot more flexible in attaining other assets....i.e. higher pick, players,etc.
    Personally I think we should try to get both picks which means tanking....but only for a few games!!I know it will be a few who disagree but what are we playing for now anyways?? thoughts...?

IT IS WRITTEN....

2. Rockets_4_life

PHX will also be missing the playoffs, meaning that their pick has turned into Orlando's pick at 23rd spot.

Also we have the 38th pick, in a swap with the clippers.

3. Rockets_4_life

^ Basically we have three picks... 14th,23rd and 38th:

We could package the 23rd with the 38th and try to move into like the 16-19 range or something..

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Like R_4_life said, the Rockets would have to trade up to get the 15th pick. Might not be too bad as the Rockets could get two out of the Mirotic, Biyombo, Morris twins, T Jones, Burke, Leonard, and Hamilton.

5. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the sounds of things, Biyombo is moving up the draft board very quickly. It looks like he'll be long gone by the time we pick at 14.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Then trade up for him!

Seriously though, I think that guy is a difference maker in this league. He would change the feel of your team every second he was on the floor. Teams on offense would be thinking their shot was going to get blocked every time they put one up and on defense people would have the image of him visciously slamming an ally oop in the back of their heads.

That type of insane athleticism makes players rethink whats going on on the court.

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I like Terrence Jones.

I'm intrigued by the Morris twins.

Can either of them play either the 3 or the 5?...or are both likely 4s?

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i always love the suggestion to package picks to obtain a higher pick. as if there is some sort of pick exchange rate the league has..

9. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I also think that Terrence Jones might be that play-making wing player that we need. His game looks really solid, and I'm really impressed that he seems to have that point-guard type mentality.

10. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I'm more intrigued with Terrence Jones because of his comparison to the human matchup nightmare that is Lamar Odom: too quick for bigs, too big for smalls, athletic enough to guard both.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think that is a poor comparison. Odom has much better handles and I don't think he is too quick for bigs. For the NBA, I think he'll become a nice help defender that excels in getting his offense from others.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am starting to warm up to the idea of trading the 23rd and 38th picks for the 15th pick.We could really do some damage with both.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Considering we already have Martin and Williams, we could draft Terrence Jones and trade for Ronnie Brewer to have the odd shot crew. The mechanics of their shots would have fans searching for a tool box.:grin:

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

how high do you think we could move up if then we traded the 14 and the 15th pick

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree that if you bring back Adelman than a poor shooting SF will be majorly exposed in the current offense ran. More than likely I see the scouts and Rockets front office paying more attention to his overall affectiveness defensively first and foremost and second how he is mentally.

With his size, strength, & athleticism at the 3 spot I can see him being very effective on paper, but ultimately the mental aspect of the game will be where he can either flourish and grow, or become another NBA prospect with athleticism and size who disapears in a few seasons.

-I would also not forget about Chris Singleton out of Florida State. He is not ranked as high as Jones, and some of the other prospects however I would not sleep on this guy coming to Houston. He fell off the draft boards a bit because he got injured this season, but even in a short stint coming back in the stretch run he made his team much better just by being on the floor.

He has the build of a perfect NBA SF, but also is well known as a class act, leader on their team, and being a very smart basketball player. He will at the very least be effective as a role player in the NBA.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wouldn't count on teams being willing to trade down for more draft picks this year. After the top 15 there will be a major dropoff in talent with a few hidden gems that will look more like gambles at this stage of the game.

More than likely the Rockets would have to include a valuable player on a team that wants to win now and know what they are getting to even move down one or two spots.

Players of value with other teams to trade to trade on draft day-

#1 - Kevin Martin
    #2 - Kyle Lowry
    #3 - Luis Scola - ?
    #4 - Courtney Lee
    #5 - Chase Budinger - ?
    #6 - Patrick Patterson

-I have a question mark by Scola because I believe there are some red flags like Scola's defense, however a team like Orlando with a great defensive center could be willing to sacrifice defense for fit. However Scola wont be the key to a team contending unless he fits in with their current roster. He can be a tough sell to alot of teams however he does draws major interest.

-Budinger will draw interest mainly because of his great bargain contract. However I dont see him being a huge draw for a major draft upgrade.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have been thinking about this thread again today. If we are not able to trade up into the top of the lottery, maybe something like T. Will/Bud and the #23 pick could get us anywhere in the 15-18 range. Or maybe add #38 to that deal to sweeten it. Or does anyone think that the Knicks would give us #17 for Bud and #38? We also have their pick for next season. Maybe they want it back? Does anyone think the Wizards would give us #18 for T. Will and #23? The reason i ask is, the more chances Morey has to work his draft magic, the better the chance we have at striking gold.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Pat is worth more than Bud and possibly Lee. Scola only has value to maybe 5-6 teams.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

which are...

20. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

T. Will/Bud and the #23 pick Is 2 much to give up for a 15 pick:confused: